2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. TETSUHIRO

TETSUHIRO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    rideforzen likes this.
  2. Getnout

Getnout Mmmmm, Micro Brews!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that's funny as S**t !! :lol3. I think all of us that have delt with our tank/filter issues ourselves have thought something very similar upon the first visual inspection. Of course I didn't have this thing but I know I personally said out loud: "WTF is this crap"!

Thanks for the laugh @TETSUHIRO :beer

I do wonder what exactly that photo is :hmmmmm
    sheath and TETSUHIRO like this.
  3. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    TETSUHIRO and Getnout like this.
  4. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, now I'm very afraid to look in my tank. :jjen
    Think I'll call Chuck Norris and see if he can drop by...
    TETSUHIRO and Getnout like this.
  5. TETSUHIRO

TETSUHIRO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    See the Twitter url link for more information on mysterious objects
  6. OldManSandman

OldManSandman Not really old

Oddometer:
    This thread bout the tank is a real bummer. I am seriously thinking about an Africa Twin Adv Sport but the tank thing is a tough one.
    I read most of the last quarter (maybe) of this thread. Seems like people think it’s a fixable issue. How many of you have coated your tanks after recognizing the problem?
    sheath likes this.
  7. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, this is a tough one. I, personally, have a 2016 DCT and was all set to buy the 2020 ATAS. The tank issue, coupled with COVID-19 made me decide to wait until next year model...
    sheath and Amphib like this.
  8. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    I agree that it is a real bummer and very disappointing that Honda didn't solve this problem in the new model and didn't recall and fix the 2018 and 2019 models.
    However, I own a 2018 ATAS and love it. I decided not to wait until the problem showed up in the middle of nowhere, but took care of the issue myself in my comfortable heated shop last winter.
    I documented the process here as others have done as well. It is a simple process and I just emptied and rinsed the tank, installed a new pre filter and Googlatech sock, which I ordered directly from Googlatech in Italy because the US supplier didn't have any in stock. It took only a few days for the parts to get here and installation was a breeze. Others have coated the tank but I decided not to do that. Coating a tank can cause other issues and I don't need more issues.
    I now have about 12k miles on the bike and haven't had any issues with the fuel supply. This winter I will remove the tank and see how things look inside.

There are some great deals on leftover 2018 and 19 Adventure Sports models and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
    windowto, EmmEff, TETSUHIRO and 2 others like this.
  9. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I have a really hard time ethically, giving business to companies who put problems onto their customers to solve. Out of principle I couldn't buy one of these. It's why I won't buy a ktm.

I'm never going to knowingly go into new bike ownership, with the prospect of having to wrench on it, fix it, re-engineer weak points. It's really a shame. I'm glad my '17 is proving a good buy, but until honda steps up and takes care of this tank issue proactively, these bikes won't be on my list.
    windowto and sheath like this.
  10. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    I wasn't aware of tank issues when I bought my ATAS and didn't know about fork issues with the regular AT either. My reason for going to Honda was an awful experience with my Italian ADV bike and disappearing dealerships. I needed Honda reliability, which owners of more exotic bikes call boring. Someone can have a very exotic and exiting bike but if they only ride it to the local Starbucks when it's not broken down what's the point of that? I'd rather take my "boring" Honda and ride it the way it was meant to be ridden in an exiting way to exiting places. It's all about how and where you take your bike and not about what you ride.

I was disappointed about the tank issue, but after my issues with the "other" bike this was peanuts. In 12k miles I haven't had any issues besides blowing my fork seals, which gave me a good opportunity to inspect and service the forks and install some better SKF seals. This winter I'll open the forks again for servicing.

Honda should recall and properly fix the tank issue, but I'm not sure I would bring mine in to have it butchered by an inexperienced and underpaid kid with a wrench.
    windowto, Amphib and sheath like this.
  11. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree that Honda should recall and fix the tank issue.
    I personally wouldn't buy a new Honda. For me, the Tiger Rally Pro is the better bike. Both for the bike, and for the customer care experience.
    I was looking at the 2020 ATAS, and the Honda Pioneer. I ended up buying a used bike (lucked into an incredible deal on a used ATAS, while on the way to the Triumph dealer), and a new Can Am.
    So Honda's lack of concern does create lost sales opportunities. In-the-Driveway.jpg
  12. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Good post and I completely understand where you're coming from. Mine gets ridden hard and into remote places.... I need the reliability, I need to trust it. The fork issue on mine has not been a deal breaker it's still working fine at 23000 miles, but will be upgrading them. Yes it's a bummer, but the overall package had been excellent.

The tank issue on the other hand could be far more than an inconvenience, somebody could get killed. It's been a trip ender for some, others it's been sitting in shops for weeks, some missing the entire season. Guys are complaining that fuel pumps are not available.... This is more evidence it's a real problem, not some internet foolishness. And the fix isn't necessarily a one and done as the flakes keep coming requiring multiple cleanings in some cases.

I don't want to go all csm... It's a sign of times with focus on profits over customer satisfaction. These companies are not being held to account and customers line up and buy them anyway so nothing changes. But if honda said, we're sorry, we fucked up, here's a new tank made differently, and a new pump, this would go a long way to restore my faith in the company.

And I don't even own one of these, it just kills me what so many folks are going through.
  13. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    Agreed, it is a real problem. I've cleaned the shit out of my tank and it will keep on coming. However, with the installation of the Guglatech sock, which covers the entire fuel pump assembly and the pre-filter it should no longer cause any future fuel starvation problems. This winter I'll know more when I take the fuel pump out for inspection. Actually, since we're talking about it, I may stick a borescope in the tank to see what it looks like. Be right back with some pictures.
    windowto, sheath, WDG and 2 others like this.
  14. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    So I took some pictures of my borescope screen. The screen is small so the pictures aren't great but I'm very happy to report that there were no signs of flakes in the Guglatech sock. I've been doing lots of rough off road riding and I always wondered if the sock would stay in place. Now I know.

The top picture shows the sock perfectly in place. If there was any contamination it would be where the sock meets the tank bottom.

20201022_150203.jpg

The next picture shows the sock bottom at the back of the fuel delivery unit. No problems here either and very little contamination of the sock. The welds look clean as well.

20201022_150302.jpg
    The next picture shows the level sensor flange and the arm. The Guglatech sock is the white piece on the right underneath the battery symbol.

20201022_150523.jpg

Having seen this, I don't think it's necessary to remove the fuel delivery unit for inspection this winter. Everything looks perfect and I should be good for the next 50k miles. :D
  15. Getnout

Getnout Mmmmm, Micro Brews!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    To all of us that have done the tank cleaning and Guglatech Sock........... We thank you for these fantastic bore scope pictures. I feel so much better. She runs like a top after lots and lots of off-road so I think I'll hold off on an inspection also.
    TETSUHIRO, LTTLTD, sheath and 2 others like this.
  16. OldManSandman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the great feedback. I'd like to buy an Africa Twin, but buying a brand new bike with a crap in the fuel tank makes me thing about old shitty 80's bikes with rusty tanks. I could live with other things, but seriously, fuel makes the bike go. Without fuel, the bike stops and I just think about what that does to injectors and other things I'd care not to learn about. I'm trying to simplify: new bike, no wrenching. I'll have to get a good assurance from Honda either at the dealer or company wide before I buy one.
    windowto, Getnout and Flying Frisian like this.
  17. Amphib

Oddometer:
    For many reasons, my choice would be the standard AT which is not showing this issue, however, given the ATAS upgrades, I understand if that's not desired.
    windowto, sheath and Getnout like this.
  18. OldManSandman

Oddometer:
    Without reading the masses of threads thoroughly, and a google search didn’t get me far: What’s the longevity of the 1000cc motors? Are riders putting the same mileage in the big Africa Twins like the Super Ténéré High mileage bikes (trouble free)?
    Cheers and thanks
  19. orionsilver

orionsilver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been out of riding for a few years now but I'm getting the itch with the good deals dealers have on leftover '19 ATAS. Glad to have stumbled on this thread, lots of reading to do. Hopefully I can talk myself out of it as it'd be a terrible decision for me financially, ha!

*EDIT*: Looks like after drooling over the bike and reading the forum threads for countless hours and research it seems like I might be a tad bit too short for the ATAS (30" inseam, 5'6" without shoes, 145lb rider weight) unless I buy the lower profile seat positioned in the low position and maybe mess around with the suspension a little...guess I've found a reason not to go into debt? Decisions, decision
  20. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a standard model would fit you better. There are plenty of used ones for decent prices out there. Go into as little debt as possible so you can enjoy the bike.
    windowto and sheath like this.