2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Owen Snell

Owen Snell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the 2020 model is a little lower, but if you're that height then go for the standard AT. Us tall guys do need some bikes that fit us, the ATAS does that job.
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Besides the height, the ATAS is an all round bigger bike. Taller/wider bars, wider tank. Unless you really need the extra fuel capacity I don't see why you would choose the ATAS over the '18-'19 regular AT. I am 5'9" with similar inseam and weight and own an '18 AT. Even with the low seat I think you'd have difficulty backing up the ATAS, etc... while on the bike.
    sheath likes this.
  3. sheath

sheath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree with AZMtnRider. Plus the AT, and especially the ATAS is top heavy moving it around in the garage, etc..
    CB500X, or something along those lines would be a better fit for the wallet, and the inseam.
    A wrap or paint, would give you the looks.
  4. orionsilver

orionsilver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I researched plenty of used bikes with all the farkles I’d want and the cost savings are substantial!

I just noticed the 2020 AT and ATAS models are of same height, interesting. I would have figured the ATAS would be higher? I’ll do some reading to see why. I like the 2020 model because of the CarPlay feature but the increased cost for that model vs the discounted 19’ model is a bit too much for me. I’ll have to get up to speed on this fly-by-wire tech and read what the opinions are from the “experts” on this feature for an adv bike.

Yeah the bigger fuel tank was really something I felt would be nice to have but I guess carrying a rotopax could also work. The one thing I’d be concerned about is going on dirt roads or in rough terrain and not being able to comfortably touch the ground (not flat foot of course). Thanks for sharing your dimensions, data points like this help me think pragmatically.

Oddly enough, I remember sitting on a 2018 CRF250L Rally when I was waiting for my CBR1000RR to get new tires about a year and half ago and I thought the seat height felt high but nothing that felt unmanageable. I think the suspension was not properly setup because I remember the forks just sinking as soon as I sat on the bike and I was probably around 150lbs at that time.

I agree! If I’m being completely honest with myself, a KLR6560 or V-Strom 650 would honestly be a better fit for me given I’d consider myself a relative newbie to ADV/off road riding (but not a newbie to the power of a liter bike). I know for a fact I’d never be able to utilize the full potential of the AT off road.

I think reading various RR’s has really hyped me up into wanting to do an ADV ride (start off in North America then work my way to South America when this covid stuff dies down…maybe even Africa if I can put together a few pennies!). And I fully acknowledge the AT would be overkill and I’d be better off with lower a displacement bike, especially if I’m somehow able to do an international trip in a country with less developed roads and what not.

That said, I guess I really have to think about what types of trips I plan to do with the bike and figure out why an AT will be better (or not) for my specific situation compared to all the other options out there. Plus, I need to just get out there and test one out to really see if it’s the bike for me or not. Luckily, due to my thin wallet, I have a lot of time to do figure this out!
    sheath likes this.
  5. sheath

sheath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back in the late '80s we did a trip from the S.F. Bay Area to Barstow, to Las Vegas (following the roads during the Barstow to Vegas off road race). Then back up to Reno, and down to S.F. Bay area. Also been through most of the Sierra Nevada passes when I lived in California. Amazing on and off road riding there. Actually a person could spend years just riding California.

I think some great trips would be the Backcountry Discovery Routes. Never too far from help, meet other folks on the trails, and even setup to travel with a group of people. The experience gained would be huge. Some wet weather trips would be a great experience as well.
    This coming spring/summer, I goal is to do New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming and Colorado.

I've been seriously contemplating a 1/2 a year in Europe to follow the MXGPs. Spend in between time, and time after the GPs to travel. Would probably buy a bike there, rather than deal with the hassles of bringing mine, and my U.S. license plate...
    Isle of Man is a bucket list, that is really high priority. So much so, that if I had to fly over just for the race, I would.

I've been in Northern Europe before back in the early '80s. Denmark, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Austria. Did a lot of skiing, and had a fantastic time. Great people, beautiful countries, amazing riding opportunities. Really looking forward to England, Whales, Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, and maybe some of the countries that were eastern block, and inaccessible last time I was there.
    Would love to go to Russia, but a bit nervous on that one.
    windowto likes this.
  6. OldManSandman

OldManSandman Not really old

Oddometer:
    I just put money down on a 2018 RWB ATAS. Dealer assured me the tank won’t be a problem.

Question: since the bike only has 60 odd miles on it (super new) and is out of warranty, how long an extended warranty (if any), do the collective suggest I buy? 2 yr up to 5 yr. Same price for the warranty as if I bought it new. The fuel tank is my only real concern. Think Honda will take care of it even if I don’t purchase a warranty?

Thanks in advance.
  7. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Tank WILL be a problem but you can take care of it yourself by ordering the Guglatech filter right now and installing it before you put too many mile on the bike. $100 and you will be fixed without having to use the warranty. It’s an afternoon fix.
    OldManSandman and Motorwerx like this.
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Personally, I would skip the warranty. There seems to be no guarantee Honda will even cover it if you do have a problem if that is your main reason for considering a warranty. And the chances of something else needing warranty work is small.
    OldManSandman and Motorwerx like this.
  9. OldManSandman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. Seems I’m better off spending the money on the extra filter. Interestingly, the dealer told me that there have been a lot more people asking about the problem, than actual problems.
  10. sheath

sheath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a new bike in that garage??? :beer
  11. OldManSandman

Oddometer:
    Not in the garage but a deal made! Cheers and thanks!
  12. Dudley

Dudley Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chaska, Minnesota, Palm Desert, California
    What MPG are you guys getting on your ATAS? Plus, what grade of fuel are you burning?
    Dudley
  13. sheath

sheath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats! will look forward to pics, when you get out in it's native habitat.
  14. PDXATAS

PDXATAS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    49-52mpg depending on riding. The lower end is back road twisties for fun for an hour or two at a time. The higher end is longer trips on the highway. I use 87 of no special variety.
  15. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Worst mpg 42, Best mpg 62, average mpg 54. This is with aggressive tires over a 28,000 mile period

I run 87, I didn't see any benefit when I tried 92.
  16. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    No luck attaching to my last post so here is the chart of my milage Screenshot_20201120-112226.jpg

Edit: you sure can see my usual August BDR trip on the charts!
  17. Dudley

Dudley Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chaska, Minnesota, Palm Desert, California
    I'm getting around 45 MPG, the bike only has 2600 miles and I do ride pretty spirited. I'm sure that it will improve as I add miles. As far as fuel I've been burning 87 with 10% and 91 non-oxy. No difference in MPG.
    How do you do the chart?
    Dudley
  18. sheath

sheath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Use the Octane the engine is rated for, to get the best performance. The only time to deviate, is at high elevation, or in very cold climates, where going down slightly (87 Octane to 85 Octane as an example), will help with efficiency, and cold starting.

I've not paid attention. When tank gets to 1/4, it gets filled back up. Hoping to do this a lot. :-)
    Stop-at-water-falls.jpg
  19. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    I run the fuelly (acar in android) app and have tracked milage and maintenance with it since I have owned the bike. It is extremely handy!
    Dudley likes this.
  20. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    I average 50 mpg running 87 octane riding 70 mph 2-lane Montana mountain roads between 3000-8000 ft. ASL and I can regularly push ~320 miles on a single tank.

This is with panniers on as I don't take them off much but would likely be better without them. I know that top end with panniers is 117 mph and 122 mph without.

Good mileage to ya!
    Owen Snell and Dudley like this.