2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
  2. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    I for one am grateful Honda does NOT make a road biased version. You said it yourself - the AT is focused and brilliant - broadening its appeal will dullen its highlights and it will lose its luster.
  3. KellyC

KellyC TimeKeeper

Oddometer:
    It will be really interesting to see what parts from the Sport Adventure will work with the first gen and new base models. I'd love to get a full manual first gen, and use the new battery, seat, and suspension off the sport.
    WoodrowBDR likes this.
  4. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas...

Oddometer:
    Sorry but there is a quick shifter option - link

"The lightweight six-speed manual gearbox uses the same shift-cam design as found on the CRF450R to ensure positive changes, and is equipped with an aluminium assist slipper clutch."New for 2018 a lithium-ion battery is 2.3kg lighter than the lead unit it replaces, and offers greater longevity, both in terms of life and the ability to hold onto a charge when left.
    A quickshifter is available as an optional extra. "

Second link that also says:
    "A quick-shifter is available as an option on the manual version"

As far as rekluse I know it's not available now but I have read it's a possibility, there is a company out there, EFM Auto Clutch that will build an auto clutch for ANY bike you want.

Now back to the original question

"So I see a quickshifter will be an option for the MT version maybe this and a rekluse clutch (if they make one for AFT) would be the best of both worlds? I've never used a quickshifter I understand you just shift up with no other action but what about downshifts? I assume you still use the clutch shifting down? obviously since a lot of corners require multi downshifts I'm sure the clutch would be used, but with a rekluse maybe not? Or even the stock slipper clutch?"

5. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    I don't think information posted on Honda Europe applies stateside,
    but thanks for pointing out Honda.EU is adding a quick shifter to the list of accessories.
    Below is the North America news release :
    The range of genuine Honda accessories available for the 2018 CRF1000L Africa Twin includes:

• Top box and inner bags
    • Touring bags
    • Aluminum luggage set
    • Frame guard
    • Smoke windscreen
    • High windscreen
    • Upper and lower wind deflectors
    • Rubber passenger foot pegs
    • DCT foot shifter
    • Heated grips
    • 12V accessory socket
    • Fog lamps with cowl mounting bar
    • Wheel stripes
    • Alarm system
    • Center stand
    • Sump guard
    • Lower and higher seats
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I think that $2K hike brings it into the price range where buyers expect cruise and tubeless. I would've been tempted to get the standard model if it had those features, but no plans now. Guess Honda has done me a favor.
  7. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no "base" model in the U.S., they all have ABS/tracs. 2017 weight was 511/534, manual/DCT. 2018 models listed at 507/530 so a loss of 4 lbs. Adv version is listed at 532/555 which is 21 lbs heavier than the 2017 models, but includes about 9 lbs more gas. Really they only gained about 12 lbs, which for all the bits they added is nothing. It's all stuff that most folks add anyway, and its probably lighter than a lot of the stuff people add.

For $2K, the suspension is longer travel and supposedly "revised". If it ends up being sprung and damped better than the 2017, then it will work better for my wife and I, and that means I don't send it to the suspension shop as soon as I pick up the bike and spend $2K or more on suspension upgrades. Plus I can't buy more travel without changing to completely different suspension bits. We'll ride it and see, but looks like they addressed some of the initial issues.

Next up is the accessories. Bash plate, heated grips, 12V outlet, tall windshield, crash bar, stainless grab bar, heated grips, etc. Well over $1000 not including install. Then there's the larger tank, fairing updates to fit the tank, longer side panels (which I think makes it look more complete), revised ride modes and traction control, different bar risers, etc.

Here's my thinking on this. If you added all the Adventure Sports stuff to an existing 2017, you'd be thousands more than the $2K they're hiking it. I was going to budget $4K for bolt-ons and suspension work to a 2017. Instead, we'll buy the Adventure Sports version, pay for the extended warranty (now 6 years) and ride it. If I don't modify it, then it's covered under warranty. My hope is that I won't have to do anything but add luggage. Pay a bit more up front, but not nearly as much to farkle it up to hit the trails. Plus it's a 30th anniversary paint scheme that I really like, and it fits our mission. My wife likes the look of it, likes the included equipment and all the changes, is excited about the new model, and it's important that she be involved and happy as anyone that's married knows!

To me, this bike has 2 up touring and off road exploring written all over it. And it's not a BMW. Sorry, but I can't seem to like those things no matter what.
    windowto, misterk and GSPD750 like this.
  8. eltel62

eltel62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Em, $2K for a 12v socket, 8cm taller screen, heated grips, wider skid plate, engine bar and a bigger tank. Have I missed anything? A bit longer suspension travel I grant you but I never heard anyone complain about the existing travel.
    G-van drone likes this.
  9. twinrider

Oddometer:
    It's still priced competitively for new buyers, but I don't think too many current owners will be tempted to trade up unless they really need the fuel capacity and like the stock look.
  10. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas...

Oddometer:
    Where's your link??? I bet that's the CURRENT list not the list for the AFT ADVENTURE SPORTS MODEL. Or the standard model not the adventure, Heated grips are on your list and those are also Standard on the AFT Adventure so your list is bogus

I bet it will be available in the states, they are typically identical and it on the list release by Honda, there is no reason to believe otherwise .
    Regardless even if there not here is an aftermarket quick shifter for the AFT
    http://www.quick-shifter.net/products/colors/1288

thanks again for not helping
    larryboy likes this.
  11. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. I still think that there will be a cruise option, even if it comes later. With ride by wire, it's literally software in the ECM and a couple buttons. Think Honda is still expecting more people to want aggressive tires that take tubes, but I can see the tubeless being something the market wants, and a lot of folks won't be doing riding that requires tubes.
  12. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I had one already, I'd be doing the suspension mods and riding it. The 2016/17 model is a very nice riding bike (to me) and is a little narrower through the front than the new model. This new bike is right up my alley however, and we don't own one yet which makes the choice easy. Everything I wanted on the bike minus cruise control makes it an easy choice. Love everything about the new model with the exception of the little extra width in front. I like the narrower front of the standard models, but knew that a larger tank was going to require a little wider front.
  13. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Wider footpegs, revised steel foot peg mounts, self canceling turn signals (which is no big deal if you’ve never had them, but it’s one thing I really miss about my BMW), a lithium ion battery, and throttle by wire, which I would bet hard earned money means it WILL have cruise control at some stage. There’s also the claim of even more aggressive exhaust sound, potentially saving some buyers hundreds of dollars on aftermarket replacements.

As other have stated $2k is more than fair for the additions. In my opinion.

Heck, better pegs and the Camel-ADV kit to reinforce the flimsy first gen mount can run you nearly $350...
  14. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Have you tried a Super Tenere?
  15. eltel62

eltel62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That lot is on the new base model too no? I meant is the Sports variant with the larger tank worth an extra $2k.
  16. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    The wider tank will also keep you waiting for proper engine guards in the aftermarket; unless you like the 'OEM lightbar'.
    And then it would most likely require them to be removed for the simplest maintenance chores that require fairing removal.
    If you think you'll just hand it over to the dealership and let them deal with it; beware what the noob mechanic can do to your $16k bike
    with the $700+ plastic fairings. You've been warned :)
    windowto and Junglejeff1 like this.
  17. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    I see what you are saying. I guess the actual quality of the upgraded suspension would be the determining factor for me.
  18. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We got on one, and didn't even like it sitting on it in the parking lot. The seat position felt weird to both of us, and especially my wife. She felt like she was up on a pedestal, hanging off the back of the bike. Very similar to how she felt on the F800GS and GSA we looked at. The AT felt a LOT better to her just sitting on it. Plus, the AT was way better balanced just sitting on it. With both of us on all the other bikes (BMW F800's, Tenere, Vstrom) they all felt like once you started leaning them over they were heading for the ground. The AT was totally different in that with her on the back and me with my feet on the ground standing, I could rock the bike side to side and using only the inside of my legs could easily balance it even tipped quite a ways over each direction. No issue leaning it over and standing it back up. The only other bike that felt close was the 1090 KTM.

Riding the AT felt good and natural to both of us and I was standing up riding it very quickly. It feels to me like a heavy dirt bike as far as handling goes. It's not a corner carving road bike, but handles very well at road speeds. In the dirt it just feels natural to me as the feedback is similar to big dirt bikes I've owned. It's heavier for sure, but feels intuitive. Probably triggers muscle memory or something since it really feels like a heavier dirt bike to me. The Tenere just felt awkward sitting on it, and felt like it was just waiting to dump me. Probably fine when moving by all accounts, but it's like a shoe that no matter how much you try, just doesn't fit. I wanted to like the Tenere, as I like the looks and shaft drive is appealing, plus we have a decent Yamaha dealer that I'd like to buy from close by.

Got to sit on a couple 1200GS's and an 1190 when we rented the AT. The 1200 felt better to me than the F800 for sure. The 1190 felt okay, but the rental owner was getting rid of them. He bought them both new and had maintenance issues with both. One of the motors died at 11K and stranded them in Moab. Probably the airbox issue. Killed a motor and it needed a complete rebuild. My wife is leery of KTM's with all the horror stories she's heard over the years. Know someone with a 990 that cracked the sump at the kickstand, 690's with problems, etc. Seems like KTM is a neat performance bike that like an Italian exotic car, needs to be fussed with. The Honda runs on regular gas and meets my performance needs.

All we had to do was go for a drive last weekend and run in to some ADV riders out for a ride at one of our typical stops. There were 4 guys, 3 of them on KTM's (1290 Adventure R, 950 and 1190) and a VMax. Two of the guys on the KTM's were complete tools, the other KTM rider didn't want to talk at all. That was the final nail in the KTM coffin for my wife. The guy with the 1290R was all about his high powered penis extension, and dissed anything that wasn't orange, and the 1190 guy wasn't as abrupt but was not pleasant. All we asked them was how they liked their bikes. COMPLETELY turned my wife off the KTM culture (the rest of the way) as this wasn't the first time we'd encountered this when talking to other KTM guys. Our local KTM dealer wasn't pleasant either, when we were down looking a month ago, so she already had a bad taste from that. KTM is off the list for her.

BMW dealer locally is very solid for salespeople. Nice folks, were very pleasant with us. Service dept has good reputation. If I liked the Beemer better, that's where I'd go. We've purchased multiple bikes from the Honda dealer we're buying from, same sales guy since 2005. He's going to give us a break off MSRP. Good sales manners goes a long way with us. Their service and parts dept is great also.
    DCTFAN likes this.
  19. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I need lower bars before they're available, I'll build them. I'll be doing my own maintenance. Will probably eventually pick up a scan tool to work on the electronic systems. I work on Euro cars now, am an automotive machinist, and have quite a bit of equipment. Used to work at a shop where I built custom parts for custom engine/trans/powertrain installs. I fabricate things myself if they don't exist in the aftermarket.

Very few of the upper bars offer the kind of support needed for a real wreck with any speed. The attachment points just aren't there, and the bike is heavy. Most of the bars will protect against tipping the bike over. If I need 30 lbs of steel to protect my 500 lb bike, I'm more worried about how I fare in the accident than how the plastic did.
    windowto, James Adams and DCTFAN like this.
  20. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    I believe you're all set.
    I'll look forward on your continued assessment on the newer model.
    I'm keen to find out more about how the Ride-by-wire integrates with the DCT.
    Will it be similar to the VFR1200X/DCT?- those reviews were not inspiring; hope it's better on the AT...
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.