2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. joh4s1

joh4s1 n00b

Oddometer:
    I guess this thread proves two things to me...one, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and two, I seem to be a huge minority.

I simply do not like the look of the new bike ( I realise most do). I know the paint scheme is 30th anniversary, but it literally looks like its 30 years old, its the type of paint job they did then. Im not keen on the white frame and I'm pretty sure that won't hold up well. The extended back side panels look like an aftermarket add on. The forks no longer match the colour of the wheels. The winglets ruin the front etc etc.

However, I do see some benefits in the bike, the throttle by wire (future cruise) and lighter batteries. As others have said, I would have welcomed tubed tires and cruise, but never mind. Ill carry on enjoying my AT.
    abj, Nikoutdoor and Junglejeff1 like this.
  2. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me too! The reports will probably be several weeks trickling in as they release it to magazine and e-zine testers. I'm curious about the extra width through the front and how it affects comfort when riding seated. Looks like they really massaged the front of the tank to keep it out of the rider area, just want some confirmation on that. I'm also really interested to hear how the suspension updates work. I know I'll like the seat better. If the pegs are wider, I'll live with them until I decide whether are not I like them. I usually like metal pegs with teeth ala the XR600 pegs.

Would like to have a rear rack or rackless and rear bag setup figured out by spring. We're going to want to get luggage figured out either soft or hard sided so that we can figure out a packing arrangement. When the bike finally gets here, we want to be ready to load up and go for the summer and fall months without having to order stuff after the fact. Already working on a tire deal with the dealer. Trade off street oriented stuff for trail stuff when the bike arrives.

Looking in to bike lifting options also to help if it goes over.
  3. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Check this out; never seen it kinda funny "The Monkey Lift":
    reg71, jantomas, Noprogram and 9 others like this.
  4. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're not in a minority, my dealer sales guy isn't a fan of the color either. It's about half and half at that dealer between the red/white/blue and red/white/black current models as far as preference. Really polarizing. I like it for the simple reason that it's a modernized version of the old red/white/blue stuff I used to see growing up and as a young adult in the 70's and into the 80's. Evel Knievel baby! I was big into the dirt bikes with gold rims (all the fast stuff had them back then). Yeah, it's retro, but it's retro back to the things I used to lust after as a teenager and young adult, so there it is, I'm biased. Not sure how the white frame will hold up, but if it's typical of other white frame bikes I've had, it needs to be cleaned up a lot. The XR white frames used to hold up well, you just had to keep them clean. That's why I like the white frame, it reminds me of old XR's. The forks look like they have a hard coating on them, at least I'm hoping it's for durability, not to make it look like it will have more durability. Won't know until a suspension shop tears into them or Honda says they coated them.

Not going to be surprised if Honda has a tubeless option next year. Even the e-zine reports expect to see cruise control.

I'll be vocal as heck if I find things I don't like. I'll pick it apart as needed.
  5. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! We'll be 2 up most of the time, and that should work nicely. I hadn't seen that last technique, had seen the 1st one. Thanks!
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing no matter what you will need a revalve and springs for 2 up offroad.I think the japs think we all weigh 175lb,s with 25 lb wife's lol.Also the rebound stacks are always weak after putting proper springs on.The electronic throttle that has a program mode is cool.Could tame out some of the slightly jumpy response when doing some technical offroad stuff with wife on back.The honda lite bar mount would not last 2 weeks for me.Very weak set up.The new bash plate may be good enough depending on how many rocks you case.2 up needs extra heavy plate there in the rocks.I cringe sometimes as some of the hits I take there sound real brutal.Cool part it will still give you more protection than the little glide plate of the older model.Wonder if the new model comes with a center stand.
  7. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is cool.Thanks for posting that.Wify will use that system to help me.
    windowto likes this.
  8. freewheelburner

freewheelburner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would have bought the VFR 1200x if it had cruise control. Went with Multistrada instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  9. roktbox

roktbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's good stuff, right there. I wanna see outtakes of the solo version performed in the mud, but that second person assistance might even be performed by a non-rider in a pinch.
  10. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Can't help but notice your avatar :)
    better name the lift something other than the guy in video ;)
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  11. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    CC is sonething you won't miss until you have had it.
    AFdude and twinrider like this.
  12. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    True statement. Here is another one:
    DCT is something you won't miss until you have had it.

Sorry, haters. Couldn't resist one more plug :)
  13. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Oh, I've had it alright.

:lol3
  14. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    When I drive a car I don’t grip the steering wheel with my right hand in the same place the whole time. Why would I want to do that on the bike? :lol3
    windowto likes this.
  15. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    The lightbar is awfully close to the fragile fairing.
    The aftermarket folks are going to have a tough time
    coming out with something better due to the added width and tank.
    Looks like they have to use the same mounting points which IMO are not
    designed for proper guards to begin with.
    I guess Honda will make more money selling replacement fairings than OE lightbars :)
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I don't know how the new AT will perform loaded up with a passenger and luggage, but the Super Tenere is far better than the stock current AT in that regard. It's not as nimble but it will haul an immense amount of weight without its geometry getting upset like the AT's does. And it has a lot more torque.
    zxrider11 likes this.
  17. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere it has an undated footpeg mount which is apparently a weak point, it would be nice if that will fit the existing AT's
    James Adams and Junglejeff1 like this.
  18. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    According to the press releases it does. And yes, it would be nice.
    Zave likes this.
  19. hammerun

hammerun Secret Eleventh Commandment - never fear.

Oddometer:
    WTF Honda?
    After only 2 years since I got very much anticipated AT'16 (one of 4 first bikes in UA) you've revealed Adventure model, that is all way batter?
    This is not fair! Do I have to replace a bike bi-annualy?
    It took me a year to find choose and get all those options like better skid plate, better wind screen, better pegs, better hand guards, crash bars etc. And now you release "all inclusive" AT and even more modes, better shmetter... ???
    I hate you, Honda!
    jantomas likes this.
  20. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    I really hope this post is tongue in cheek?

We bitch when they don't bring new models quick enough and now we bitch when they do? SMH
    zxrider11 likes this.