1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

2018/2019 Dual Sport Bike Maintenance/Service Intervals Compared

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by NetMagi, Oct 11, 2018 at 7:13 AM.

1. NetMagi

NetMagi Adventurer

Oddometer:

Spent a bunch of time digging through service manuals, and put a big table together. No doubt there will be some controversy around some of my math and comments, but I welcome any feedback. :D
  2. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Honest Feedback?

Ride More. Spreadsheet Less.

:dunno
  3. NetMagi

NetMagi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was rainy. :p
    alvincullumyork and Plebeian like this.
  4. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do a rain jacket comparison next.
  5. NetMagi

NetMagi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can already hear myself saying, "I was really surprised how well this garbage bag with holes for my arms worked out".
  6. FoggRider

FoggRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those rebuild intervals in the owners manuals mean absolutely nothing. I doubt anyone is having their entire engine rebuilt at 10,000 miles let alone the intervals you were talking about. On the flip side, the previous gen Honda 450 had the same intervals as the new bike but a quick Google search will show that many people had trouble with the valves very prematurely. My ‘14 350 has about 6K miles on it, my valves haven’t moved and I’ve never needed to do any work to it other than oil changes. I’m not planning on it either.
  7. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    And don't bother unless you start seeing signs of an actual problem. I ASSUMED my 2013 350exc should get a new piston at 200 hours\6k miles. Piston, Cylinder, and even Rings were 100% in spec. And in that time, my valves never moved. All measured on our calibrated\certified CMM & vision systems.
    [​IMG]

What happened to the world of dealing with an actual problem when it actually arose? All these spreadsheets, internet BS, etc all it does is promote this unnecessary internal fear of never-ending "what if" scenarios. I can understand preventative maintenance and all that, but let's get real here.

Get out & ride......posted from my office chair. :lol3 :ricky
    timeOday and FoggRider like this.
  8. wiley coyote

wiley coyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Netmagi -

Great work putting this together. The information is well stated and informative. Nothing is ever a one size fits all but certainly a great place to start for the search for that "perfect bike" for me.

Thanks

Mike
    PlowHand and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  9. Kaaden

Kaaden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sucking the soul out of riding a motorcycle one spreadsheet a a time.

The only spreadsheet i got out is pricing out a 500EXC Supermoto build relative to just buying a FTR1200... yeah maybe i should be analyzing oil change intervals :D
    renogeorge likes this.
  10. Blakduk

Blakduk Just trying to get by.

Oddometer:
    My question, based on a ride with friends last week:
    Why can I go 3000 miles (5000 kms) on a WR250R with 1.4 litres of engine oil - and the bike spends a lot of time under load and revving it's little heart out.
    Why can my mate hop on his KTM500 and just be idling along at less than 1/3 RPM, doing the same route, no engine stress, 1.4 litres of the same (quality) engine oil - and it needs an oil change at ~1000 kms....
    BygDaddee likes this.
  11. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    It would truly be educational to use the same oil in the WR 250R and the KTM 500 EXC and ride together over 1000kms/2000kms (and/or more) and have the oil analysed from both bikes at each 1000km mark.
    Could be a real mythbuster.
    Fast1, Kaaden, timeOday and 2 others like this.