2018-2020 Honda NC750X

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Hopin

Hopin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cut down a Puig windshield. I used an oscillating saw for the cutting and edge sanding, and it looked factory when I finished. If I had needed a polished edge I'm sure that could be done with polishing compound as well.
    kebrider likes this.
  2. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Data point: no interference with Puig windscreen and SW-MOTECH Kobra handguards on my NC750X.

Data point: the Givi FB1146 fairing bracket with crossbar for device mounting moves the windscreen forward; not much, but it gives addtional clearance between windscreen and handlebars.
  3. Melensdad

Melensdad Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Oddometer:
    Anyone here have experience with a Denali SoundBomb MINI horn?

Replacing the impotent factory 'tweet' has been a long time desire but never really made it up to the top of the "to do" list.

Encounter with a driver at highway speed yesterday moves the project to the top of the list. I'm looking for a plug and play solution, don't want to add relays, fuses, etc
  4. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The SoundBomb Mini is louder than stock, and the low current draw lets you run without a relay and separate wiring (I replaced the turn signal lamps on my 750 with LEDs to further decrease the load on the circuit).

How loud is enough? Who knows? I use the horn mostly for giving bicyclists a heads-up I'm overtaking them on narrow roads. As far as collision avoidance is concerned I always assume the drivers around me are going to be careless and oblivious, so any conflict that arises is an indication of poor head work on my part. Not that that ever happens, of course.
    Melensdad likes this.
  5. Melensdad

Oddometer:
    Just placed the SoundBomb MINI on order.
  6. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That'll send the traffic miscreants scurrying for their safe spaces!
  7. Craig Jackson

Craig Jackson n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m researching seat replacements for my 2020 NC750X DCT and would appreciate any comments regarding the following seats I have narrowed down. My biggest complaint with the stock seat is the comfort, no surprise. I find myself sliding toward the tank and not being able to sit comfortably in the seat.

The Russell Day Long – Driver & Passenger saddle, vinyl, $710.00, must send stock seats in, estimated manufacture date is October 2020, if I order now. Bike is unusable for 7-10 days.

Shad Comfort Seat – No need to send stock seat in, both driver & passenger seats $316.99. Reviews state, “seat does not resolve the slide forward dilemma.”

Top Sellerie – Multiple height and lengths options (personally thinking Raised & Long for my frame), Gel Seat, multiple price options depending on whether to send stock seat in,

1. Send seat - $309.00 + shipping
    2. Exchange - $329.00 + shipping
    3. Full Seat - $432.00 no shipping

Sargent Seat – Claims to eliminate forward slope, only front seat is replaced, no sending stock seat, DIY rear seat matching cover $360.00 or $380.00 with silver trim.

Corbin Seat – Front & Rear Saddle, $786.00 (quick order option), leather or vinyl is same price. "Looks" the most comfortable for both front and rear seats.

Seat Concepts – don’t want or have the tools to assemble it myself.

Fire away and let me hear your comments!
  8. Melensdad

Oddometer:
    I have a Corbin on my 2018 and have about 6000 miles on the seat. Replaced only the front. It’s much better than stock after it’s broken in.

Take a look at the Laam seat. It might be my 1st choice if I was shopping today.
  9. motoretro

motoretro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd look at Renazco, good people to deal with, great quality, you tell them your requirements and they build it.
    Good luck.
  10. Melensdad

Oddometer:
  11. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    I like Sargent seats and have many thousands of miles on them on the NC and other bikes. That said seats are highly personal and you may not like a firm seat.

One mod that is very popular is to raise the front of the seat by placing the locating tab at the front of the seat on top of the frame bracket instead of under it. It raises the front of theNC700/750X seat about 5/8" and serves to flatten the seating area. This is an easy modification to try without the expense of a new seat. I rode 25,000 miles on the stock seat with this modification before buying a Sargent seat.
  12. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Also consider Terry's Custom Seats (https://www.terryscustomseats.com/); lots of happy customers on Advrider.
    Additionally you can get a Seat Concepts kit and have someone local install it. Lower cost, good product, much less wait time.
    fastring likes this.
  13. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sanding with fine grit then wiping with Acetone gives a factory edge finish.
  14. Craig Jackson

Craig Jackson n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking for a pair of 1” toe rest pegs to mount on my 1” Givi engine guards. Lots of 1 1/4” to choose from, but can’t find 1”, small form, toe rests.
  15. Chris_R

Chris_R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone! How reliable is the DCT model? How easy is it for the experienced home mechanic to work on?? I originally wanted to learn a manual (I come from the maxi-scooter world) but I'd like the ABS option which is only available on the DCT version...I also like that I'd be able to easily transition too....I'm just afraid of problems 3-5 Years down the line...thoughts anyone??
    Melensdad likes this.
  16. Melensdad

Oddometer:
    DCT is on its 3rd, or perhaps now 4th generation. It's been on the NC700x/750x line since 2012. As with any mechanical thing it can break. But I'd say it is generally considered very reliable. We own 2, zero issues.

As for coming off scooters, yes the transition will be very easy but you will need to get used to using the right foot break pedal.
    Chris_R likes this.
  17. Chris_R

Chris_R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! How many miles if you don't mind me asking?
    Yes I agree, a small adjustment I hope!
    I sat on a standard, and really liked the fit...I think the DCT and ABS and torque / traction control will be a safer option too.
  18. Melensdad

Oddometer:
    I have about 12,000 on my 2018 NC750x, my wife has about 8,000 miles on her '16 NC750x. But there are people on this forum with DCTs that have far more miles than I have. We planned to ride Route 66 from Chicago to California in 2020 but because of Covid we decided to take in foster baby and having a baby in the house pretty much eliminated our ability to ride. But understand the DCT is on the majority of Goldwings that Honda sells, its on about 1/2 of the NC 700/750 platform bikes as well as CTX models and it is on roughly 45% of the Africa Twins. If it was unreliable it would not be on all those bikes.
    Chris_R likes this.
  19. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    It's cliche but "it's a Honda" sums up the reliability. DCT has been out in the marketplace for almost 12 years now in a variety of models from ~50 to ~150 hp. Almost 10 years in the 700/750s. There are no reliability issues to note with the 700/750s neither with the other models so equipped. Compared to the manual transmission version the DCT model requires no special maintenance aside from a small cartridge-type oil filter replacement every 16,000 miles. Takes about 5 minutes. Other required maintenance like valve check/adjustments and oil changes are very easy due to simple screw & lock nut valve clearance adjusters and exposed components not hidden behind fairing panels. I had two NC700Xs about 65,000 miles split between manual and DCT versions. I've owned nearly 30 motorcycles and only two did I own two of and I won't rule out buying a third NC at some point.
  20. sandychain

sandychain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    62000 miles on my 2015 dct nc700.
    No problems. I change oil and both filters every 4000 miles. Lots of tires, fuel, chain and sprockets, 2 batteries, brake pads, normal stuff.
    Buy it and ride it. Don't let it sit, bikes like to run.
    JT105, dduelin, Mobiker and 1 other person like this.