2018-2020 Honda NC750X

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    That's nonsense. You don't design gas tank range for the 1000, you make gas tank range for the 100,000 and let an enterprising owner or fabricator solve the auxiliary fuel challenge.
    frog13 and Melensdad like this.
  2. zuma

zuma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A range of 200 miles at 80mph. That certainly narrows down your choice of bike.
  3. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    I get about 180 miles before the reserve starts flashing. I’ve gone over 200 miles on a tank and wasn’t in danger of pushing to a gas station. This is at various commuting speeds and 2-lane rural highway speeds (55-65 mph). This seems fairly typical of the NC700X.

At 75-80 mph, I’m getting about 50mph (as indicated on the gauge). That would fall short of the 200 mile highway range. There have been many discussions about increasing range on the NC700X. Many interesting solutions, contraptions and IEDs.

My solution is to carry an extra fuel container in extremely rural areas (tool tube with a 1 liter MSR bottle). So far, I’ve only ever used the extra fuel to help others, never needed it for myself.
    frog13 and itlives like this.
  4. itlives

itlives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    frog13 likes this.
  5. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    That was the (not clearly stated) point of my reply to that requirement.

Needing to go 80 implies (to me) that the rider would be competing with aggressive traffic. That’s one use case, and the NC750x handles it fine.
    Needing to go 200miles on a tank b/c fuel stops are so rare is a different use case, and the NC750x handles that fine too.

But those two use cases do not overlap.
    In places where traffic is so bloodthirsty that you need to go 80 to stay safe, gas stations are plentiful enough for any bike.
    In places where gas stations are 200mi apart you would be a fool to peg it at 80mph the whole time regardless of what bike you were on.
    RezRocket, dduelin, Melensdad and 2 others like this.
  6. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    WOW! 9 posts, more than the last 2 weeks.
    For what it's worth I was just a signature away from buying a new DC last spring. I went for the V85 Guzzi with over a 6-gallon tank. it gives 50-55 in general mountain chasing and 45 MPG at an honest 75. My 2017 V7III Guzzi has a 5.5 and turns in 55+ dropping to 50 at 75-80. My old 01 EV Guzzi has a 4.6 and at 75 it drops to 30. Just too small! Ever drive from Dallas Tx to El Passo Tx? basically 300 miles with almost no stops for 200 miles and an 80MPH speed limit. Try driving the back roads from Ga. to Az. once and 200 per tank is pure danger and there is no "roadside service" to give or bring you gas. I average 30,000 miles a year and don't care for walking. Yes, I am not Joe average but would it really kill the Mfg's to give a bike some range. How many Gold wings would they sell with a 175-200 mile range? Rant over, I will need to do something soon as my old arthritic left hand and thump has clutch feel/pressure making the buying decisions now.
    old1959, Mobiker and 10/10ths like this.
  7. penguinsfan82

penguinsfan82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. HarveyM

HarveyM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the Africa twin adventure sport has something like a 250+ mile range, but the NC will do 222 miles per tank according to fuelly (3.7 gal tank & a 60 mpg average). I'd just toss on a rotopax and call it good.
    frog13 likes this.
  9. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes ROTOPAX. It's the best choice to his "problem". And yes, the GW and NC series have different design perameters / intentions. Path of least resistance / stress.
  10. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vagrant1947 must be my long, lost twin brother!

I agree completely and absolutely with everything he posted.

if you ride west of the Mississippi, you MUST ride 80mph or get run over, and you MUST be able to go 200 miles, minimum, to get to a fuel stop.

So I have a 2018 Honda NC750X DCT with an auxiliary 7 gallon fuel tank on top of a custom diamond plate where the passenger seat used to be. I have 10 gallons total fuel and can ride 80mph and go 400 miles.

I have found my “forever” bike.
    Lowrider49, old1959 and vagrant1947 like this.
  11. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Pics of your bike and aux tank would be nice.
    vagrant1947 likes this.
  12. 10/10ths

Oddometer:
    I have posted them before. Just search my posts.

I’m traveling and can’t post pics for awhile.
  13. Melensdad

Melensdad Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Oddometer:
    Just curious, but when you do stop for fuel do you only have to fill the top tank and it drains down into the main tank or do you fill each tank independently?

Most of the mounted auxiliary fuel tanks I've seen have a small tube that goes from the top tank to gravity feed to the main but are typically filled separately because the fuel nozzle at the gas pump fills at a much faster rate than the small tube can drain down fuel from the top tank to the main tank.
  14. 10/10ths

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is how mine works.

The auxiliary tank has a line on the bottom and it feeds down into a fitting tapped into the OEM fuel lid.

I open the OEM filler cap and fill the stock tank with fuel, then I fill the auxiliary tank with fuel.

I have a simple lever that shuts off the fuel feed from the auxiliary tank.

As I ride, when the OEM fuel tank nears empty, I reach behind me and open the flow from the auxiliary tank. When the fuel gauge shows full, I reach back and turn off the flow from the auxiliary tank.

It works perfectly.
    Mobiker likes this.
  15. dduelin

Oddometer:
    That's how I saw it done and how I did it on my NC700X. The fuel cutoff valve was built into the auxiliary tank I used. Mine was only 1.6 gallons in auxiliary but it was big enough to the job I wanted it for - an IBA BunBurner Gold with 50 mpg 80 mph 250 mile gas legs. Worked a charm. With only 1.6 gallon I ran the stock tank down to 1 bar then opened the tap to drain the aux tank into the stock one.
  16. 10/10ths

Oddometer:
    Yes.
    And my auxiliary tank is seven gallons.

I love being able to choose where and when I stop for fuel.

If I’m riding on I-10 and I’m about to hit Baton Rouge at 3pm, I know that if I stop before I get over the Mississippi River bridge, I will get stuck in oil refinery traffic as their shifts all change at 3pm.

I can punch on through and refuel on the other side.

Similarly, if I’m riding to Gunnison from Amarillo, I can push onward and cross the Great Divide and get over the 11,000 foot pass before the sun goes down, or before the weather front hits, where if I had stopped for fuel before the climb, I may get caught, the road might get closed, or I’d be riding after dark and dodging elk.

Those extra minutes can make a huge difference on a cross-country ride.

Also, I can choose to keep riding and refuel at the next Buc-ees, instead of having to stop at the roach infested, get stabbed by a crook, place in a rough part of town in Mule Shoe.
  17. dduelin

Oddometer:
    Buc-ees, yes, Buc-ees!
    IMG_0652(1).jpg
    10/10ths and old1959 like this.
  18. Bulitt

Bulitt Flori-duh Man

Oddometer:
    Is this the new one at WGV? I went down there the other day and rode through the parking lot but they weren’t open yet. I hear they opened Monday.
    10/10ths likes this.
  19. dduelin

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's the one. I rode down there on opening day. I had to chuckle at the folks living nearby upset that Buc-ees was allowed to open. "We don't want the traffic" or something to that effect. Funny, I thought the same thing when I learned some huge residential golf development was going to be built north of Pacetti Rd and west of 95.
    10/10ths and Bulitt like this.
  20. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    My dad rides an NC700X (and about to get another one). The fuel range thing isn’t really an issue. Just carry a 2L extra bottle somewhere and you basically have the range of every other ADV bike out there. Or carry a gallon if you feel like you need it. We went up and back around Alaska from Maine across the west (montana etc) and used the 2L once in BC and not in the middle of nowhere just to see how far it actually would go until it went dry. 211 miles was the answer at typical 50-65mph speeds. Although the range will fluctuate between a worst of about 55 in really bad headwinds to about 74mpg cruising at 45-55mph. It seemed to average about 60-65mpg fully loaded. Which is better than most 250cc bikes loaded up at highway speeds will see.

I would not discount this bike because of the fuel range, just carry an extra 2L or gallon somewhere if that bothers you, you’ll likely never use it.

I ride a Versys 650 which gets about 225-275 miles to a tank depending on conditions at @ 52mpg average. It ranges from 39mpg to 58mpg from extremes but very consistently sits about 52.

The DCT on the NC’s is awesome and I really wish I had it on the Versys. That would be a near ideal bike in that case so hopefully Honda brings out a 650 4 based Versys-esq bike (without a crippled gas tank) with DCT from that CB4 concept a year ago.

I’m not sure about the NC750x but I did find the suspension and the brakes lacking on the NC700 compared with the Versys. It basically has two of the same caliper the NC has and if I had a complaint on that bike it would be in stopping power.

The Trunk is amazing and with panniers and a top case that bike is a cargo mule that puts about everything to shame for storage. The screw adjusters and 15k adjustment intervals are also great for the valves.
    Melensdad and motoretro like this.