2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now, that is irony! And an even better case for you to make;). Also, if you got a dealer that doesn't give a..., you should go to another, or go overhead. I really doubt that Honda Japan doesn't care. This could kill the ATAS sales altogether. And what a case you have: they are fixing your bike because they agreed that it is faulty, but the loaner is just the same...

Anyway, I realize our exchange here reflects the difference in our approach: I keep on pressing, while you've accepted the situation. So, I will stop arguing and making you feel bad.

In any case, I do wish you the best possible outcome:)

Cheers
  2. chittyrox

chittyrox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the madstad installed on my ATAS (since been removed), but that looks about what mines looked like! Word of caution, I loved the Madstad for on-road usage! Off-road usage, not so much, but it is a good setup!

Hopefully the folks over at Madstad can help you to confirm if the bracket is in spec.

Is that the filter attached on the fuel pump?
  3. Owen Snell

Owen Snell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They answered this morning and I sent them some more pictures. I also offered up the screen and the mounting points are about an inch wider than the holes in the screen! It may be that the brackets are incorrectly bent, but I don't want to mess with them unless they tell me to.

I'm only using the ATAS on road. I just got a new screen for my Husky as well, a used Britannia fairing / sliding screen, should work OK off road as it's small and slides right down. I want to get the ATAS done before working on the Husky though.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had that same tank issue on a yamaha roadstar.I ended up pulling the filter off the pet cock (carb bike)and put one of those aluminum housed screw apart inline filters you can clean on it.Carried a can of carb cleaner in saddle bag just to blast it out on the road.Took a couple years for the tank stuff to go away.
  5. Kirky1298

Kirky1298 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's the pre filter, the main filter is in the plastic housing. The problem is , this stuff has passed through both filters and fuel pump and I believe is blocking the gauze filters on the injectors. The bike is pretty much un rideable and extremely dangerous.
  6. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Very true. They don't give a rats ass. See regular AT forks. Still the same shitty problem for 2018 and on.
  7. TequilaSqueela

TequilaSqueela Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are the Conti Trail Attack 2s still considered the best street tire for the AT? I'm looking to upgrade from stock and want the best road ride possible. 99/1 tires would be great. What about Anakee 3?
  8. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. sobek

sobek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi gents,
    I am about to pull a trigger on a brand new '18 ATAS, picking it up on Saturday.

I just found this thread and got a bit terrified by the reports on welding issues, fuel pump filter getting clogged etc.

Anything in particular I should inspect before taking delivery?
    Which welds should I check and are they visible without disassembly?

It is currently still in a crate (photo courtesy of the dealership), being assembled today.

I have a raging boner about this bike, but don't want it to turn into a lemon!

Cheers image1.jpg
  10. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    The welds can be inspected looking at the main spare right behind the front wheel and where the different frame members attach to it up at the head tube and elsewhere.
    Take alook when you go to pick up the bike prior to paying etc.
    There are other pics on this thread to give you an idea what you are looking for.
  11. deadzed

deadzed Meat Popscicle

Oddometer:
    Mine is identical to yours. I've put 2500mi on it in the last 3 months & I couldn't be happier.
  12. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love my ATAS, you will have a blast with it. Even with the issues, its a great bike. I used seafoam cleaner in my bike and havent had fuel issues since.

Have fun with it.
  13. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you have problems and they stopped using seafoam cleaner? So may be it even "disolves" it in the fuel pump filter?

14. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about it, I have 10,850 on mine in the last 10 months (it sat for 4 months in the winter while I rode my Vstrom). The only issue that I have had was with the fuel filter plugging at 4800 miles which was covered under warranty. Other than that it has just required gas, oil, and chain lube. It would be good to look at the welds where the head-tube meets the frame, they are easily visible from the top side of the bike.
  15. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw another rider use the seafoam and he didnt have any other issues. I did the same thing and I haven't had any issues since. I am not sure what it did. I am hoping it dissolved some of the stuff. I carry a can in my panniers just in case I need it.
  16. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So you had stalling issues that stopped when you started using seafoam, i'm right? (sorry, my English is not so good)

17. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had some stalling issues when my tank got low, or when I was in stop and go traffic. So far I haven't had the issue since I put the sefoam in. I am hoping I don't have the issue again because my dealer wont do anything unless I can make it happen with them at their place and its hard for me to get it to act up when I want it to. I am at 5500 miles. Your English is much better then my Spanish =)
    Quercus petraea likes this.
  18. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put 20,000 miles on my ATAS I’m 10 months. I rode 1115 miles of dirt in 21 hours. I was in the process of making 1500 miles of dirt in 36 hours when I hit a deer with 80 miles to go. My bike is totaled and I broke my neck.
    I will be putting a payment on a new ATAS as soon as I get my insurance check. Ya I like the bike.
    It sputtered like what you read about and a can of Seafoam fixed it. I had a leaky fork and some seal Savers fixed that. Other than that it was gas and go.
  19. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
  20. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    597239DA-85E2-4920-A698-85747F369E53.jpeg

I just picked this up yesterday. My 2018 adventure sports DCT 30th anniversary edition. Sticker price was $13000, but I threw the 5 year unlimited mile warranty on it and I got gap insurance which brought it up to 14k total out the door. It had 1 mile on the odometer. I would have preferred a manual, but this was just such a good deal, I decided to try it. My original plan was to buy a MT-10, but i’m fairly young, so insurance said it would be like $7k a year for coverage. So I decided to try an adv bike out. Way cheaper insurance.

I haven’t had a bike since 2015, and the bike I had before was a 2012 FZ6R. I’m a noob when it comes to dirt. I managed three minor water crossings today before the odometer went over 100 miles, it was a little sketchy, but the water was below the foot pegs and had very little flow.

Do I need to do anything special for break-in? I’ve been riding like normal, but have been avoiding consistent RPMs. I know engine break in can be a hot topic, but has Honda said anything about it?

I want side cases, thought about getting the OEM cases, but they seemed flimsy. Are there aftermarket panniers that mount to the stock mounts?
    also know the stock crash bars aren’t that sturdy, so I want something, does anybody have recommendations?
    Should I get OEM center stand, or something different? I’m so lost, lol.

I’m totally lost on what needs to happen to this bike. My folks live in Alaska, so next summer i’m Riding up there with it. I’m in middle Tennessee and have great trails and dirt roads around me, I was hitting some great easy roads today 5 miles away. These stock tires are great on the road, but a bit iffy in the softer stuff. I’m going to change them in a few thousand miles.

Oh, did I mention I sold my car to get this? I only have 2 wheels now :D