2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:

i went the opposite of you. i made the wind screen as large as possible, with a height adjuster. along with the electronic criuse control, heated gel seat, and fork tunnel air dam, makes the bike super comfortable. just got back from a 6,500km trip to california, over 9 days, of which only 6 where spent riding,. so we average 1,000km's a day.

Works fan-fucking-tastic lol

absolutely no helmet buffeting

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  2. TequilaSqueela

TequilaSqueela Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are those buttons?

That's a genuine cockpit. Damn.
  3. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    u likey?

i got them off ebay. just water proof 12v

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  4. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. TequilaSqueela

Oddometer:
    Oh my God that is so dope. Nice!
  6. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Figured would try here first wanted to see if anyone in socal has the corbin for their at
    I have the sergeant despite rasing the front it still pitches me towards the tank and it is in the high position
    Getnout likes this.
  7. Getnout

Getnout Mmmmm, Micro Brews!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a bit of a trek definitely for you from socal: Mr Eds Moto is from my home town here of Albany Oregon so I'm a little spoiled. Don has been in the custom motorcycle seat game for a long, long time and is even known nationally. He's seen riders on long road trips plan ahead and swing in to have a seat made. These are seats that are custom for you to sit properly on your machine. I'm 6'4" and this is my bike in these pics. If you end up this way, plan on half the day of getting on and off your bike repeatedly. Very worth it .
    Screenshot_20190617-161003.png IMG_20181120_083556.jpg Screenshot_20190617-160953.png Screenshot_20190617-161134.png
  8. VikingMoto

VikingMoto n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a Corbin saddle on my ATAS and love it. I told them my inseam and they made it so I can reach the ground. It does have a different profile than the stock saddle, but it works well for me because the pillion seat is flat and it's easy to strap a bag onto it. I could have gone to the factory and have them custom make a saddle, but I am very pleased with the product they made for me.
    davyjones and Getnout like this.
  9. TequilaSqueela

Oddometer:
    That's friggin gorgeous. Ballpark on cost? I'm curious, but thinking about 5-700 sounds right.
    Getnout likes this.
  10. Getnout

Getnout Mmmmm, Micro Brews!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly $500 Bones and worth every dollar. It was pretty much like having a custom tailored suit........but we're talking about a bike seat. I now get it and will do this for every future bike. :-)
    davyjones and windowto like this.
  11. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. dbroxson

dbroxson n00b

Oddometer:
    I am interested as well... I have been waiting for RockyMountainATV to come out with the Tusk Pannier Racks for the ATAS. I check in with them every couple of weeks, but I am not getting a warm fuzzy that it is any time soon.

I have 2 separate two-week trips in July/August that I will need bags for... And this is cheap!
  13. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Hey yall,

Thought I would check in as I made a few additions to the ATAS a month or so ago.

I added a set of pivot pegz, protaper adventure hi bend bars, and AltRider radiator guards as I was getting bent fins on my radiator from the front tire throwing rocks. So far they have both been great!

The pivot pegz took a day or two to get used to but have been extremely comfortable when standing for long periods.

The AltRider radiator guards have prevented any further dings from the tire throwing rocks and don't seem to have reduced airflow whatsoever.

20190621_195238.jpeg

20190621_195247.jpeg

The protaper adventure hi bend bars are about the same sweep as the stock bars but have a lot more rise. They fit with stock cables and hoses. The front brake hose required some re-routing to allow the bars to fit but everything else reached easily.

20190427_140237.jpeg

20190427_140307.jpeg

Between the pivot pegz and the new bars, standing for long periods is now comfortable!

20190621_195222.jpeg
    windowto, mr bones, davyjones and 5 others like this.
  14. DSM8

Oddometer:
    What did you do for the the factory heated grips. Mine were a complete pain to swap over to bars when I changed mine.
    does your throttle tub rub on the new bars'?
  15. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    I reused them. To get the left grip off I turned them on high for a few minutes and then was able to twist it back and forth until it came off. The throttle side was a non-issue. No rubbing at all on the new bars.

I did have to drill new holes in the bars to keep the switch blocks from rotating but that in itself was easy enough.
  16. TequilaSqueela

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'm looking for a seat- I know of the Corbin, Sargent, seat concept, and touratech. Anything I'm missing as a gold standard? I'm leaning towards seat concept because the price is right. My butt bones burn like fire after 1.5 hours even with a break and the seat slopes forward which drives me nuts.
    davyjones likes this.
  17. DSM8

Oddometer:
    I have the seargent and it too slops to the tank despite my raising the front still better than stock i am going to lower the rear next
    davyjones likes this.
  18. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:

im actually really surprised you were able to raise the handle bar. nothing stretching? on my ATAS i raised the bar by about 1/4" with spacers for the rubber mounts but that was the limit, the clutch and brake lines were not able to reach if i raised it anymore. they would not reach when i turned my handle bar full lock, both sides.

as for the radiator. yeah, thats a must.

i personally used HD window netting, the stuff that stops pets. i put it on when the bike had 12km's on it. thus my radiators are mint!
  19. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    Clutch cleared by miles, the brake is almost not long enough but by rerouting it I was able to prevent any stretching at full lock. The window netting is a good idea, probably far superior to the plastic mesh that the Honda engineers came up with...

20190622_193859.jpeg
    davyjones likes this.
  20. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    O I C.

you are running with a more forward angle on the bars. i like my bars sweeping back, makes sense that mine are at their limit while urs R not