2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    I have run them both ways, had them set back initially but then moved them forward to be more ergonomic when standing.
  2. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking into a Corbin. I really like the red version they have on the website. How is the seat for long distance travel.
  3. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So how is the drive chain slack checked on this bike? Is the chain just pushed up from its resting position and that measurement is the chain slack, or is it pulled down then pushed up and the distance from those two positions is the chain slack measurement?
    windowto likes this.
  4. motosickle2000

motosickle2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You push it down and then back up and measure the difference.
    windowto and Getnout like this.
  5. Sloowpoke

Sloowpoke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like to add some comfort to the bike through aftermarket grips. Is there a way for me to save the factory grip heater or is that one giant ball of Honda glue and rubber?
  6. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Not sure how many of you follow the Africa Twin thread as well so I will cross post. I can never keep straight which thread I have posted in...

Speaking of tires, a couple of you might recall that i put on a MOTOZ Rallz front tire a couple of months ago. Traction was incredible and it had great handling.
    I just changed it out today at 4300 miles. I doubt I could have gotten much more life out of it as the wear bars were contributing to the overall traction of the tire...

20190628_185705.jpeg 20190628_185654.jpeg

Despite the negative feedback I have heard on the MOTOZ Tractionator front I decided to give one a try and will report back how bad or good it is on the ATAS.

20190628_212355.jpeg

The MOTOZ Tractionator adventure rear tire is still going strong at somewhere between 9 and 10k I will probably replace it soon but I think I can squeeze another 1k-2k out of it if I am nicer with the throttle.

20190628_212406.jpeg

I used a heavy duty tube this go-around and to prevent it heating up I used some good old anti-monkeybutt powder out of the medicine cabinet. Probably didn't need the calamine lotion in it but that is what was handy. I have never had a tube overheat since I started using talc powder in the tire.

20190628_192602.jpeg
  7. itsnotajeep

itsnotajeep Are we there yet?

Oddometer:

FYI..... Happy Trails has a rack for the ATAS. Tim just hasn't gotten to putting it on the website. I just ordered a set for mine because I loved the ones I had on my AT and wasn't feeling competent enough to hack them up to fit my new ATAS!
  8. TequilaSqueela

TequilaSqueela Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a hard time recommending Happy Trails. I ordered several parts for my Vstrom that just didn't fit (and we went back and forth on support trying to suss out why) and ended up returning them, but they forgot to process my refund for several months despite me calling them every few weeks.

Since then, I pretty much stick to RevZilla and SW Motech. I have the siderack Evo Pro from them and it is awesome.
  9. itsnotajeep

itsnotajeep Are we there yet?

Oddometer:
    Wow.....thats' crazy! I have had the exact-opposite experience! They even called me on Easter Sunday to make sure they could get my order out so I could make my trip the following weekend and next-day'ed it at N/C! And their install instructions (at least for the AT) are the best and clearest install instructions for ANY part I have ever seen......and this isn't my first rodeo. I had a small shop some time ago and shit happens.....it just sucks when you're the customer that slips through the cracks! Sorry you had a shitty experience.....Tim, the owner, was super nice this go around too and very prompt to reply to questions/etc. I don't have any affiliation with them.....I just prefer to support small companies vs online mega-stores even if there's a 'cost'.

Not trying to discount you being upset with your situation though.....I would've been pissed too!
  10. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    My MotoZ Tractionator Desert HT experience is wonderfulness in the dirt but not so much on the pavement. On pavement, the crisp balanced feeling and neutral steering of my ATAS with the stock skins went away and the front end feel turned into re-run episodes of the twilight zone, especially under 20 mph. At mid level speeds, the transition off being straight up and straight ahead showed oversteer until it got over on the side knobs to come back towards neutral steering when leaned over. Once over, they'd walk and slide predictably without going away without notice but I never rode them in the wet, dry only. The one characteristic that detracted the most was the howl at speed. Once over 75, things went pretty squirrely and things like tar snakes and rain grooves would grab 'em all sudden and unpleasant-like. All not unexpected as they are a 90/10 dirt/street tire so duh, right?

I'll be spending more time on the road in the near future so I chose to pull them off for a future BDR or something. I like the handling characteristics and dry/wet performance of the stock A41s so much, that is what I had put on fresh off the FedEx truck. Hat tip to Canyon Honda in Nampa, ID for gettin' and out-of-towner all set up, mounted and balanced in just a couple of days...

Good fresh rubberizin' to ya!
    misterk, davyjones and redneckmech like this.
  11. chittyrox

chittyrox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No trip comes without it’s hiccups...
    On a short note, if you have an ATAS make sure you get 5k+ miles on it before it goes out of the base warranty. Fuel pump and fuel tank...Honda knows about it and it has been shown on here and the ATAS facebook forums...smh...

On the bright side, have got the chances to meet many cool people out west USA on this adventure! =]
    itsnotajeep likes this.
  12. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    F6621147-8096-4BED-8DB5-6397170E9822.jpeg I got the heated Corbin seat installed. It looks a lot better. Better sitting position. Not a plush as other seats I have had but better then stock
  13. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the Honda extended warranty because I can’t get the fuel problem to act up consistently, and my Honda dealer didn’t acknowledge there is a issue with the ATAS. I have used and carry around sea foam so I don’t get stuck somewhere.
    45Guy, davyjones and Getnout like this.
  15. Getnout

Getnout Mmmmm, Micro Brews!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So help me catch up here please. Fuel issue? What should I watch out for? Carry new pump?
  16. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The fuel filter at the fuel pump has been getting clogged by something inside the tank when the fuel is low. There are a lot of posts about the issue earlier in this thread.
    Getnout likes this.
  17. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    carry a fuel pump? what is this a KTM lolol
    CheapB, Motorwerx, chittyrox and 3 others like this.
  18. ADVNeil

ADVNeil n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I pickup up my new (old stock) 2018 ATAS from the dealers almost a week ago now, after I had had it for 2 days I started to notice some pretty serious defects with the frame. I took it back to the dealers and they sent some pictures to Honda UK who the dealers claimed said that it was "within spec". I have been on to customer services and finally managed to get Honda to arrange for a different dealer to collect the bike and inspect it.

20190701_094312.jpg 20190701_094341.jpg 20190701_094429.jpg 20190701_094813.jpg 20190701_141916.jpg 20190701_142125.jpg 20190701_142214.jpg 20190705_173534.jpg 20190705_174646.jpg 20190705_175754.jpg
    davyjones likes this.
  19. Getnout

Getnout Mmmmm, Micro Brews!! Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks man. Next time I have the Tank off, I'll pull the pump and do a thorough tank cleaning. :-)
  20. chittyrox

chittyrox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seafoam will not cure it, and it will eventually come back. Tell your dealer to call their honda rep, and they will know what to do. If that dealer is not willing to get on the phone, go to a more reputable honda dealer and they will call their local honda rep. Honda customer service may also be an option to call them and report that the honda dealer(s) are not going above to at least call their rep. The honda rep’s know what to tell the honda dealer(s). Luckily, the honda dealer we were at went above and beyond to help us out. Me and another buddy of mines ended up in different areas of Idaho with the issue happening at the same time. That’s not a coincidence...

Issue has been reported in UK, Australia, and USA. Honda knows it is an issue. It is also reported on ATAS groups on facebook as well.

Honda has superseded the fuel pump part number, but I assume they are using a use-up-go-to type of deal. At this time, I cannot find out what they actually changed in the fuel pump for all AT & ATAS models.

I can’t risk getting stuck out in the middle of the desert because of an issue that Honda won’t get off their hands on!!! Ugh, so frustrating!!
    davyjones and Getnout like this.