2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Just got my Happy Trails side racks installed!
    20190717_175340.jpeg

Look to be very solid racks, I got them with the add-in tool tray due to the under-impressive amount tool and under seat space that the bike has..

I like Happy Trails design because they symmetric on the bike and allow the utilization of that space for storage.

20190717_185434.jpeg

20190717_185441.jpeg
    20190717_185330.jpeg

20190717_185301.jpeg

Now I need to stop over thinking it and figure out what luggage to use with them.. I would like a soft bag that is easily removable and locks to the rack for backroads... And perhaps a set of 40L SKB cases for highway trips.
    decisions...
    decisions....

For now I will probably use my set of Ortlieb soft bags until I over-think it enough to decide.

20190717_184616.jpeg
    Amphib likes this.
  2. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    How smooth was the instillation of the crash bars? I got to put a condom on my new girl before I smash her.
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  3. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    I did a full writeup on the AltRider crash bar install located here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/altr...he-2018-africa-twin-adventure-sports.1343669/

All together it was an easy system to install and has held up well to several crashes. The fit, finish, and quality are great. They were expensive but I feel that it was well worth the cost considering they have easily saved me their cost plus some in replacement engine cases/side panels.
  4. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the reply....off to read your writings.
  5. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on that.

Have altrider crashbars, high fender kit, and skid plate. All have worked great over 6600 miles =]
  6. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    All I used was fresh gas out of the can I had in the garage. I did 3 shake n' flushes until all was clean and no more crud was visible in what came out. I filtered the flush gas to get all of the solid debris out and burned it in the lawnmower.

Good hydrocarbon handlin' to ya!
    Amphib, chittyrox and swimmer like this.
  7. Adventure boy

Adventure boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After owning a Red Africa Twin for a year then going off the rails and buying a MT10, then AS1000XR then a 1200GA Rallye I bought another Africa Twin in Tri colour and loved it had it for 2 years which is the longest ive ever kept a bike
    just bought a Africa Twin Adventure Sport and its lovely had the dealer fit a Quick shifter which is fantastic and Cntr stand, bought a load of bits and fitted them anyway heres some pics thumbnail_IMG_3591.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3636.jpg
  8. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    What is that long black thing by the passenger right foot peg? Also, cockpit shot please with what GPS gizmo thinky you are running. Nice bike!
  9. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Doe you mean the sidestand your seeing from underneath the bike?
  10. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    No, the long black thing that goes up at a 45 degree angle from the brake peg to the side case.

Edit: disregard,optical illusion...its the base of the exhaust.
  11. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I am the next victim of the tank, fuel pump issue. At first they couldn't verify it and were going to give it back to me so I told them to just take off the tank and take a picture of the fuel filter for me at my expense and I will pay for everything if there is no issue. Well they just called me and after they took the tank off, there was tons of paint chips in the tank and filter. Its a very hard thing for the tech to verify without taking the tank off. I think I will be getting a new tank and fuel pump but I wont know for sure until they get the ok from Honda. Thanks to all the guys on this form that posted info on this issue, it made all the difference for me pushing the issue.
    chittyrox, Junglejeff1 and Motorwerx like this.
  12. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    How many miles on the bike?
  13. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just over 7,000 but I have been having issues since around 2,000 but it got to the point I couldn't ignore it anymore on a trip in the mountains when it started cutting out on me passing someone with a half tank of gas.
  14. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was good thinking on your part:)

Good luck with the replacement
  15. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I road all over the mountains of British Columbia and the bike did great keeping up with my friends sport touring bikes, but it only took the one moment of the fuel cutting out while passing to freak me out enough to bring it in and not take no for a answer.
    windowto likes this.
  16. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your issues, but hope it all gets worked out for you and in a timely manner. It's a shame that the dealer made you have to take lead to make them do something. Took 4 weeks for my bike to be fixed with the same part number fuel tank and fuel pump. So we will see how this goes...
    I wonder if Honda will step up to the plate and truly address the issue very soon for ATAS owners.
    Getnout likes this.
  17. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you got your bike back, was the paint correct on the tank, with the 30th sticker in place?
    Getnout likes this.
  18. dwelds

dwelds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought about starting a new thread, but I'll just ask hurr… What would the best option be for luggage? My whoe reason for getting this bike was to expand my range and I want something besides a coupe bags on the tail. I've seen general pros and cons for hard cases vs soft, but most with a decent amount of space require a rack. I was really wanting hard cases but the one thing I saw was they are more dangerous in the event that your leg gets caught up n hit by the case. I still don't know that I'm that worried about it, but the guy suggested hard cases with more of an angle in front bottom than a 90 degree incase such a scenario was to happen...

I like the idea of the honda panniers. The pros I'm seeing are no rack, same key for the bike. I don't like that they are sideload and the mounting looks some what like a fragile system. I'm wondering if those of you that have these follow the 11lbs per side rating that I kinda had to search to find? If that's all they are really good for seems like it'd be a negative aspect...

Givi's mount to a rack, lockable, and are toploads for positive. The negative there is they cost a lot mainly, but from what I've seen the latching mechanism that ties them to the rack is plastic. Not to mention I don't exactly know what I need. Rack, adapter, and cases? If I get their rack do I need the adapter or is that so you can use a givi case on someone elses rack? Does anybody know what kinda weight they are rated for?

Thinking about the dryspec soft systems I've seen too. I think their biggest kit is 106L It's modularity looks pretty cool. Does anybody have experience with one of their systems?
    Getnout likes this.
  19. dwelds

dwelds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want a tank bag also, but I think my priority is getting a decent amount of space low on the bike.
  20. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love my givi boxes. I have taken them off road and they held up fine. I also strapped dry bags on top and they did great.
    Getnout likes this.