2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    With a meager 30" inseam I'm already on the balls of my feet with the AT seat in the high position. Getting just one foot down flat is fine for road use once you get used to it (been short my whole riding life so I'm used to it), but could be problematic on rough dirt if you need to get your feet down to stabilize the bike. Just depends on your planned usage.
  2. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The more info that gets published, the better I like it. The bar is 1.3" higher and .2" further back for better riding while standing. I'd ridden one with a 2" riser canted slightly rear, and it was just a little high in my opinion. 1.3" sounds perfect. The new bike looks like a ton of details are addressed, including the passenger footpegs being put in a position to give more leg room and make for easier standing for the passenger.

My wife is totally on board and loves the look even. Just have to wait 6 months now.
  3. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Good points on how the MSRP is going to be up there.

But, I see BMW actually inflating their 850 so they can sell more 750s.

Under the 750 is the $9,299 Suzuki DL650XT. The current 700GS is $9,999, and the 800 is $12,295 (wow!)
    so that is our launching point.

$500-1000 in crease on MSRP.

So the 750 will be $10,499 , and the 850 will be just about $13,295.

Current AT is $13,299. This one should go up at least $1,000.

So, is the new Sporty AT worth $1,000-$2,000 more dollars than the 850?
    I'd post that 7 out 10 Inmates would post that it is.
  4. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:

A fourth mode – USER – allows the rider to set and save his or her preferred combination of Power, EB and HSTC levels.

Finally!
    Of course it remains to be seen whether this can be set as default- NOT!

Did Honda listen to feedback from owners?
    Who's the numbnut that asked for additional levels of HSTC?
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  5. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    The standard display is much better organized.
    The DCT already has 80 different mode combinations to choose from. This RBW & the additional HSTC levels
    increase the combinations to ... too many choices! But I like that they finally put one lousy data field for storing ONE user setting (so stingy; how bout at least three? huh).
    windowto likes this.
  6. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    So now there are five trims?

Base
    TC and ABS
    DCT
    ADV Sport
    ADV Sport DCT

I'll take the base model... that is not in the USA.
    rideforzen likes this.
  7. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    'European Model shown'.......that gives me the creeps. I was all set on getting a 2017 today but held off because I wanted to see what the big deal was. Needless to say, Im all in if its as pictured. The Anniversary graphics/bigger tank/on=off ABS were the deciding factors. But 'European Model Shown', I hope they dont change a fing thing.
  8. James Adams

James Adams Grizzly User Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are some differences between the existing EU and US models, I'd expect those to continue. None seem particularly significant.
  9. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    I get that. What scares me is that the tri color AT was sold to the rest of the world a year or so before we got it. Im hoping the 30 year anniversary paint scheme makes it here sooner rather than later.
    windowto likes this.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That just says this bike does not have DOT requirements attached yet. Normal and is stated every time.
  11. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE If you need a cruise control to tour then you need to find another hobby.[/QUOT
    Thanks for suggestion moron , but ... no !!! Whats your definition of touring 150 miles a day ??? On one of my trips I rode 1600 miles non stop , just fuel and snack stops , tell me I don't need a cruise control when I hit the interstate to a destination thats thousands of miles away from home ...
    deadzed, trapperj, WDG and 4 others like this.
  12. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm seeing more than one article stating expected Adventure Sport pricing will be $2000 over existing MSRP for whichever transmission option. Considering the updates and extra equipment, that's not out of line. Puts it at 15,299 to 15,999 at the current MSRP for the manual and DCT models. It might come in less than that because of competition. Think that's just a ballpark for now. Pricing will be announced when ordering opens I'm told.

The F850 may be around $13,300, but what I've noticed about BMW is that they really pad the price as soon as you add any options. It's really easy to get a stripper version for $13K, then add things like grip heaters, windshields, different tires, etc and end up with $3-4K more on the bill. The thing going for the Adventure Sport is that it's already in a package with not much to add on. Bet a nicely farkled F850 will go over $16K if some option boxes are checked.

For us, it checks every one of our boxes. Only thing we need is luggage and maybe cruise which I'm sure will be added at some point. Once an engine has drive by wire throttle, it's a simple software change and some buttons away from cruise control. I'm expecting it to have it for the U.S. as an option or original equipment. That or it will be available at a later date after initial delivery as a retrofit.

For my wife and I, we liked the AT a whole lot more than the F800. Not sure about the the new one, but BMW usually just doesn't feel better to me. We were both ready to order an AT after we got a good ride on one. The 1200GS just didn't do it for us AT ALL. I'm sure it's a great bike, the guy that rents ADV bikes here really likes them, but it wasn't for us. Totally intimidated my wife, and the AT totally didn't. That's why there are so many makes and models. Goes back to the 'ass for every seat' saying.

Update: Just spoke with my dealer, who just had their regional rep in the shop today. They are looking at $2000 over MSRP of the current model for the new bike, so looks like the $15,299-15,999 figure will be in the ballpark. They're supposed to get a spec sheet in a few days. Looks like 6 month lead time approx. as of right now.
  13. KellyC

KellyC TimeKeeper

Oddometer:
    If we want to turn the AT into more of a raid bike, it looks to me like the way to go would be to buy the base model that way you get manual tranny, cable throttle, smaller tank, and then buy the suspension for the new Adventure Sports.

Also, is there a way to eliminate ABS?
  14. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the new adventure sport comes only with dct ?
  15. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
  16. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Name calling huh?
    1600 miles at a stretch is nothing on a big bike. I did over 1000 miles in under 18 hours on my dual sport Beta by just twisting the throttle and using basic riding skills. OTOH I can see using it for giving the wrist a break once in a while. Paddles and recently throttle locks have served well over the years. Times are changing for sure. A lot of us are looking for every creature comfort as possible.

Back to the subject at hand. I'm very surprised that Honda has started major upgrades the AT so soon. It looks as if Honda is really stepping up the game to compete with the likes of KTM! If it can match the reliability of the Tenere it's going to be a winner.

For now I'm just continuing to be a wanna be on my 350lb adventure bike. Last trip was a 850+ mile Death Valley ride. I saw a dude who was making his way to Argentina on his Africa Twin. I remember he already had 1000's of trouble free miles on the thing.
    smalls78 and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  17. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Looks like 2 pumps followed by a 2nd generation model. Very similar to the S10 in 2014.

KEY FEATURES

• Africa Twin Adventure Sports has a larger fairing matched with an 80mm taller screen to offer greater wind protection, and comes standard with heated grips and a 12 volt accessory socket, facilitating longer tours in wide-ranging conditions
    • Adventure Sports model comes standard with larger sump guard and front light bars, as well as brushed-aluminum cowling panels, rear mudguard, and easily removable steel rack
    • Adventure Sports model has larger, 6.37-gallon fuel tank (compared to 4.97 gallons on the standard model), extending range
    • Both CRF1000L Africa Twin models now have auto-canceling turn indicators
    • Adventure Sports model's seat features a flatter profile and a 1.2-inch-taller height than standard model. The seat adjusts .8 inches, for a seat height of either 35.4 inches or 36.2 inches (compared to 33.5 inches and 34.3 inches). Handlebar position is 1.3 inches higher and .2 inches rearward compared to the standard version
    • Adventure Sports model has a storage pocket on rear right
    • On both models, the rider's foot pegs are now wider and affixed via stouter steel mounting plates, whereas the passenger foot-peg hangers have been redesigned to allow more room for the rider's feet when standing
    • On both models, instruments are positioned at a shallower angle to allow the rider to see them more easily from a standing position
    • Adventure Sports model has updated, longer-travel Showa suspension, resulting in 10.6 inches of ground clearance (compared to 9.8 inches). On both models, shock preload, rebound damping, and compression damping are fully adjustable
    • Both models have compact two-piece, radial-mount, four-piston front-brake calipers and "wave" floating rotors front and rear. The lightweight two-channel ABS can be turned off at the rear
    • Both models feature front and rear wheels in size 21 and 18 inches, respectively, with stainless-steel spokes for improved durability
    • On both models, the 998cc SOHC eight-valve parallel-twin engine is updated with a new airbox, now featuring a 20mm longer funnel length and matched to redesigned exhaust internals that significantly improve midrange response and sound quality
    • On both models, the engine's balancer-shaft weights have been lightened by 10.6 ounces for added character and feel in power delivery
    • Water pump is housed within the clutch casing, with a thermostat integrated into the cylinder head, while water and oil pumps are driven by the engine's balancer shafts, contributing to a compact engine and optimum ground clearance
    • New for 2018, a lithium-ion battery is 5.1 lbs. lighter than the previous lead-acid unit
    • Both versions available with Honda's advanced automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT), delivering consistent, quick, seamless gear changes on-road or off. Rider can select from three different shifting modes, and a G switch enhances off-road functionality by reducing the amount of clutch slip during gear changes
    • New for 2018, both Africa Twin models have Throttle-By-Wire system (TBW), opening the door to four individual riding modes and an expanded Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC) system
    • HSTC now features seven levels (up from three), to adapt to a wide variety of conditions. HSTC can also be completely switched off, and three levels of power and engine braking are available
    # # #

It's a lot of little things adding up.
  18. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    Kick in the teeth........well, that could be said about anything from cars to bikes to coffee makers :lol3, just because something newer comes out! That’s a matter of perspective!

I believed one day Honda might update the bike but to see it happen in two years is a surprise........and a good one at that! Traditionally Honda has been at the bottom in terms updating and improving models! To see them do two versions of the AT and introduce a few other cool looking retro bikes is a great indication they’ve put the right people in charge and forging in a good innovative direction! A few years ago browsing the Moto Shows, the Honda booth was like shopping for appliances!

As the the ADV Sport and all the updates........they’re luring the traditional BMW buyer demanding gizmos but not really riding the bike off road. Yeah, it’s a heavier bike and anyone really doing the riding won’t be fooled by any of this. I’ll keep my simple cable throttle and other improvements I’ve made as aside from color I already have 16,000miles on the bike they just built. :clap

Ohhh......boy.......here we go again, the tubeless rim debate! :jack It’s only a debate to those that are yet to get stuck putting a tube to get them back on the road!

I agree. I already have the improvements they updated. I never thought my dash was all that bad and the air box update on the new bike is just to accommodate the new fuel tank. Aside from color on the new bike, I like the one in my garage.

Overal it does suck, more BMW people will probably buy the AT Sport and complain to no end about frivolous things. :lol3
  19. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Pcfly,
    You are right.
    the 485lbs-540lbs "Mid Size" front is in all out war.

It's all quiet on the 385lbs-440lbs front. Kawi has everything on lock with the X 300 and KLR.:lol3
    The G310GS has just started to mobilize, and so has the Royal Enfield Himalayan BS4.

Hopefully the Yamaha 700 and KTM 790 will come in during late summer and force the others to improve. But if the price is too high it will have no affect on bikes that cost around $6,000. I guess a new segment will be forged.
    dinod and Pcfly like this.
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fully agree with you.I am happy to see honda has given the bike some upgrades.Honestly through it would be out of my price range going up 2000 bucks.I do not like that is even heavier, has twin cats and the bashplate looks like just a bigger version of the old tinfoil one.Hope they addressed the wimpy stock springs from the previous models.The stainless spokes are a great upgrade.I'm guessing I would have to do about the same amount of mods to the new one as my 16.I am definitely going to purchase that lighter battery for mine.
    Fat Toney and Pcfly like this.