2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, either transmission.
    lukasteam likes this.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Funny how the two major updates most owners and prospective buyers wanted -- cruise and tubeless wheels -- went ignored. And Honda added a bunch of stuff no one even dreamed of much less desired, like 7 traction control modes, I usually turn mine off anyhow.
    G-van drone, Tinker07, Podman and 6 others like this.
  3. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the weight is easy to explain. 9 lbs of fuel (weight quoted is full tank), upper protection bars (larger than the regular due to fairing changes, approx 10 lbs), larger skid plate, heavier rear grab handle, longer suspension. 2017 DCT was 534, Adv version is 555. 26 lbs of fuel, protection, suspension and other bits, loss of 5.1 lbs due to the Lithium battery. All of this stuff is stuff I would have added anyway, so 555 lbs including 9 more lbs of gas is pretty solid. It's not any heavier than a 2017 with protection bits added. Bet most people with the big skid plates, upper and lower bars and headlight guards put more than 25 lbs on their bikes.

The key is, if not much needs to be added to this bike, then it's riding weight already whereas the earlier models had no protection from the factory. I think that if people ran their modified bikes across a scale, they'd be as heavy with less fuel. Let alone folks that have rear racks and luggage.

The weight is about what I expected, but the equipment level is higher than I'd expected. I really didn't think Honda was going to change or add as many things as they did like adding the higher bar, flat seat, 12V outlet, heated grips, riding modes (with a user mode!) and 7 level traction control. The longer suspension was a welcome surprise.
  4. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I debate tubeless wheels for offroad use, but I see the market liking tubeless better. Problem with a tubeless is, you put a decent chunk in it from a rock, and you're not patching it trailside. But, lots of folks won't be doing harsh offroad where that comes in to play. For our use, tubes make more sense. It's harsh and rocky where we ride in the hills, and a tube tire will usually hold air with a trailside repair. Yeah, won't be fun. Should be able to get off the hill anyway. Will have to carry tools to deal with it.

I would like to have cruise, since it's a nearly no-weight option. I think it's coming. Said this in another thread, but once you've added throttle by wire, cruise is simply a couple buttons and a software flash away. I'll be REALLY surprised if Honda doesn't have a solution before the bikes hit the showroom or at least the fall models hit the showroom. They'll eventually get it stock, or there will be a factory kit for it. The market is pushing for it.
  5. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    Todays announcement was a big relief. I had planed to go buy a fully loaded AT today but the final holdout was the changes for 2018, specifically the larger tank and 30 year anniversary paint scheme. Besides, I have a Rothmans Paris Dakar sticker kit saved and this paint scheme will be a no brainer to transform, hell might not have to do any paint work. I miss my old 89 Rothmans Dakar project bike. Current inmate loves her a just the same.
    Pcfly likes this.
  6. James Adams

James Adams Grizzly User Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can always throw a tube in it. I sealed up my rims but I still carry a tube in case of a major issue.
    G-van drone, FireDog45 and Cruz like this.
  7. 16rally

16rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 2016 DCT that I've taken on some pretty challenging double tracks.
    My background in dirt riding is motocross/supercross and the way I ride my AT bottoms out the suspension quite often.
    However, the few times I've laid it down have all been when I came to a complete stop in somewhat of a compromised situation and couldn't get my short leg down quite right to be able to keep the bike upright. And everytime, I've decided it would be best to wait for help with picking the bike back up.
    So, in a nutshell, bottomed out suspension and all, the seat height and the weight on this thing have gone in the wrong direction for me. So, I'll pass.
  8. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. Good plan to have backup. Debating tubeless conversion myself, then doing the same thing with carrying tubes.

Going to come up with a lifting solution also. My wife can help, but I'm not throwing my back out again trying to lift this unaided.
  9. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You hit the nail right on the head twin !!!
    John2453 likes this.
  10. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Needs a high fender.
    larryboy likes this.
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    That's what I'd do if I planned on doing hardcore dirt riding, then you're covered for everything.
  12. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have always been a Honda guy , but I really liked how Yamaha did the research on Super Tenere owners and listened to their wishes upgrading the second generation Super Tenere .
    I think Honda did a good job increasing fuel capacity , upgrading suspension and ergonomics on Adventure sport . Heated grips are nice too . Tubeless and cruise control would make it perfect . Maybe North American models will have cruise control , who knows ?
    One way or the other , cruise or not , I like the bike and I'll be waiting for it to come state side .
    Resale prices on the first generation AT's and leftovers should go down too .
  13. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas...

Oddometer:
    So I see a quickshifter will be an option for the MT version maybe this and a rekluse clutch (if they make one for AFT) would be the best of both worlds? I've never used a quickshifter I understand you just shift up with no other action but what about downshifts? I assume you still use the clutch shifting down? obviously since a lot of corners require multi downshifts I'm sure the clutch would be used, but with a rekluse maybe not? Or even the stock slipper clutch?
  14. eltel62

eltel62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't have to buy them, you have options coming out of your ears, actual Outback Trekkers for instance.
  15. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    No such thing.
    Maybe what you are referring to is the 'foot shift' option for the DCT.
    Rekluse is not a term in Honda dictionary :)
  16. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, if I have this right, the new model is about 32 pounds heavier than the previous base model (plus more gas).

But, has anyone seen/know the changes to the 2018 base model? Has it's weight changed?
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  17. eltel62

eltel62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same, I don't mind no cruise and tubed tyres, hell, I don't even have ABS & Traction, that is the way I purchased the bike but I think they are missing a trick not having a road biased version like the Triumph Tiger 800 range. Cast tubeless wheels, 19" front, cruise and a few more road comforts, perhaps a couple of inches lower stance as well, it can't be that hard. Many (I would say most) AT riders don't have access to vast tracts of free riding countryside and ride purely on tarmac anyway. I think Honda need a lesson in market segmentation, the AT is very focussed and brilliant at what it does but if they want to sell more bikes.....

The response from Honda could be: a) we don't have any more capacity in the factory to build another variant, we can sell all the bikes we make thanks or b) that's the bike we make, we like it that way, nobody's making you buy it, bugger off! Either way, both would be valid comebacks. Love my 2016, won't be rushing out for the 2018. Does anyone else think $2K is an awful lot extra for what you are getting on the sports model?
  18. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    The heavier model is the Sport Adventure with the larger tank.
    The base models have actually shed about 5 lbs. over last year's 511 lbs.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  19. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Based on what people are spending on the 2016 to come close to what you would get with the L2 model, 2k is peanuts.
    The only drawback would be that Honda chose the replacement/enhancements instead of you.
    Who do you trust?
  20. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that's cool! Thanks...

Anyone seen pics or articles of the 2018 base model changes published yet?