2018 Africa Twin ATAS adventure build

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by michaelkozera, Sep 3, 2018.

1. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Need a windscreen brace too
  2. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    i ride alot at night, especially up here in calgary in the winter months when the sun goes down early. headlight/lights are a must.

it really depends on what you get. keep in mind the AT/ATAS headlight is very shallow so a conventional hid projector might not fit, even the tiny mini h1 i dont think would fit. so basically your looking at LED projectors. TRS carries abunch to choose from. i went with:
    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi-led-morimoto-m-led-headlight-projectors.html

total cost of the project, including foglights and relays/harness was like $800cad, but IMO worth every penny.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  3. bentlink

bentlink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love your work. And photos. The lights rock! And screw in the rubber air dams... going to do that.
    Tires: I like my Mitas E-07 Dakar’s... consider those too. Just like the K60 Scouts but supposed to be better on road in the wet.
    Also: engine crash bars—I like the Hepco&Beckers lower engine guards... peace of mind for “dirt naps.”
    Anyway, thanks for sharing your details. 1CF22B89-9D26-4CE3-91B7-867AEA67B2CD.jpeg
    Skunk-Works and michaelkozera like this.
  4. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    20180905_224247.jpg
    pepebayeta and plumer1kt like this.
  5. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Dude, you can do it. Just need a heat gun, a xacto knife, some super glue and the kit. :D
  6. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    The beauty of the new Africa Twin is how well it does in the dirt and sand, with appropriate tires.
    You have a pretty build for the Starbucks trips. Now put some decent tires on the bike and ride it like it was designed to be ridden.
    If all you wanted was a street bike, there are many out there that are ready out of the box. Like any of the BMWs. With shaft drives if long distance travel is what you are after, with less fuss. But they can't hold a candle to the Africa Twin, especially the AT version, in the deep stuff.
    Pretty bike, though.
    Elec and Sloowpoke like this.
  7. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might do it in future.Sorta looking at buying another trials bike at moment lol.Racing the loose moose national Sunday on yz then a trials the next weekend.
    twinrider likes this.
  8. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good. I'd say you're ready for an iron butt.
    There are a few things I'm surprised you didn't deal with, like the very bendy feeling kickstand and the weak windshield mounts.
    Your lighting setup is crazy lol. The headlights look very cool and its a neat project, but they look like theyre not very bright on low beam. I guess thats what the aux lights are for.
  9. twinrider

Oddometer:

Good luck! On Sunday I might pick up that Six Days I told you about. :-)
  10. motosickle2000

motosickle2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought that McCruise was currently only selling cruise control kits for the DCT version of the ATAS. Do they now have the manual version of the kit available?
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike,injoy before we get to old.
    twinrider likes this.
  12. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    Says 6mt on the box so yeah.....

Let u know on sunday how it works out.
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The kickstand must be hit and miss on quality.I get on my bike using rider peg and it's holding up great.But yet I have seen picks of them bent like a banana.
    michaelkozera likes this.
  14. twinrider

Oddometer:
    That said, I just finished adding a Cogent rear shock and front spring/DDC kit to my XT250. Now debating whether I want to replace this low maintenance all-rounder with the EXCF and its hour-based maintenance intervals. I'm not a wrench so I'd be paying the stealer to most of it other than oil and filter changes.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  15. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    i cant tell if you sir, are jokeing when you say this? or are you serious?

IMO, lowbeams dont get much brighter then this:lol3:
    stupidly wide, and you can see like 3 times farther down the road then stock
    [​IMG]

and with such a sharp, crisp, flat cut off you wont blind anyone at all.

[​IMG]

my kick stand feels just fine, barely bends? i think it must be a defect in some bikes. but not mine.

as for the windscreen mounts. the 2018 ATAS uses 6 bolts, rather then the older style 4 bolts, so the stress is more evenly distributed.
    however, it does still flex, so perhaps a project for the future. time will tell.

yes, good tires are a must. i think i was so disappointed with the ATAS off road because it had stock tires, those tires are useless off-road.

the problem is i go on some very gnarly trails. but i also ride 300km+ to get to that gnarly trail. i would much rather have a bike that can on the gnarly stuff with confidence " insert Africa twin". and then mod it to be better on the road.

also,
    break a part on a honda = a small amount of $$$
    break same part on a KTM/BMW= a very large amount of $$$ lol

Stock Jock and twinrider like this.
  16. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike is quite the handful in soft stuff no matter what tire you run.Even tried a full knobby and really did not help.The midas E-07 back with a shinko 804 was a decent all around combo.Running the 805 on back now because I'm in sand quite a bit and it paddles better.Midas was a little better on street.I always heard the scouts are hard and slippery so never tried them.
  17. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha! Oops. It was the pic of the front of the headlight that I was looking at. Completely missed the beam comparison. Looks great.

Do you mean 4 vs 6 screws for mounting the windscreen? The OEM 16-17 touring screen also has 6 screws mounting it. Thats not what breaks, its the welds down below. The larger ATAS screen causing more torque on the welds due to its size would make it worse.
  18. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also quoted jeff imstead of michael above. I'm losing it.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  19. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    Unless they revised the part for '18 or the AS, it will fatigue and break right here, even with a stock windscreen. Mine was caused by miles of washboard, compounded with a larger Puig screen and phone mount on the crossbar.
    [​IMG]

fix (or buy the Camel brace!):
    The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread
  20. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know parts prices are different in different countries. But this surprises me everytime I hear it.
    Maybe because I have browsed almost every model's part fiche of every honda, yamaha, suzuki, kawa, thriump, harley, Ktm, BMW, aprillia, ducati and some others for the last 20 years, I'd say:
    Honda, Yamaha, ducati and harley parts cross very often the "stupid price" barrier and go full retard.
    KTM parts are surprisingly cheap most of the times, and specially if compared with the ones above.
    BMW part prices are quite moderate if not cheap, considering it's a high end brand and the prices of the bikes.
    If you buy a R1200GS in parts, you'd end up paying (let's say) 80.000$/€
    If you buy a CRF1000 in parts, you'd end up paying (let's say) 150.000$/€
    At least in my country and some others I know.

Drop your bike and break an indicator:

Captura de pantalla 2018-09-07 a las 17.52.01.png

Sin título.jpg

Edit: Forgot to say, this is the best CRF1000 thread on advrider.
    MikefromNL likes this.