2018 Africa Twin ATAS adventure build

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by michaelkozera, Sep 3, 2018.

1. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Michael, I just read through this thread and the one you linked too for the build of your wife's Kawasaki.
    Plus followed your build of your CRF500L and the current redo of that bike. Had a CRF250L then so was into it.
    Reading all those has led me to the conclusion that things in this world are just so unfair. :hair
    There are numerous threads on here of how difficult it is to find a good servicing dealer and other threads of how bad things have went at dealers for sometimes simple jobs.
    And then there's you, with your insane skills, doing these crazy mods, building what you can't buy, doing stuff "NO" shop would do for a customer for any price..:clap

Not sure what you do for a living but I know something you could be doing if your day job goes away :lol3

I'm just glad I can do my own basic stuff, service, tires, chains, but as are many others on here, I'm very envious of your skills.

And to boot, you take the time to make incredible write ups of what you do. Amazing man.
    Thanks
  2. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:

thanks man!
    if u like my bike builds, you should see what i do with my cars :jack

motorbikes are my passion (mountain bikes too). i live a very outdoorsy lifestyle. im very active, and im always up for a challenge. i like to think outside the box (obviously), or in some cases, MAKE THE BOX ITSELF haha.

all of these "skills" you mentioned i have i learnt my-self over the years and let me tell you i had ALOT of trial and error and alot of failures. its not unlikely for me to do and redo things 2-3 4 times even until its near perfect.

my advice to anyone is to always try doing things urself and dont let anyone tell you otherwise, this is the only way you can learn, and grow.

and DONT be afraid of failure. its gonna happen.....learn from it, carry on, and repeat.
    Getnout likes this.
  3. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    been kinda of busy as of late. getting the motorbikes ready for a 6000km trip around california.

bought a motorbike dual (front / rear)camera dash cam:

not in the bike yet but will be by end of month
    [​IMG]

got a heated seat installed:
    [​IMG]

mounted the switch near the heated grip button:
    looks ugly, but it is water proof and functional.

[​IMG]

the seat itself came out pretty good too, not too many bulges from the heated element,.

also added some brown foam to fill the gap between the seat and the gas tank:

[​IMG]

and lastly install my custom CNC made mini light bar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Over my long working years it always been dealing with automotive and recreation vehicles from motorcycles to marine.
    So I have great interest in what you say here.....
    Since my son lives by Fish Creek there in southern Calgary, I may just message you a request to pop over for half an hour to "see" your stuff next time I'm out there. :lol3
    michaelkozera and Getnout like this.
  5. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    If you are passing through the San Diego area on the CA trip let me know, full shop with compliment of tool and fabrication equipment if needed.
    Then I can steal more ideas for my ATS while yours is parked in the shop.
    michaelkozera and Getnout like this.
  6. Getnout

Getnout Mmmmm, Micro Brews!! Supporter

Oddometer:

"That's Awesome"! :lol3
  7. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    much appreciated.

our goal is to get to san diego via coast road from vancouver. san diego is a last stop before we start heading back to calgary via las vegas/saltlake city.

pm'ed
  8. DSM8

Oddometer:
    Note it will be WARM!! going home that route. Like triple digit temps are possible. Might want to consider alternative route back to get around the hot as FK stretch through Nevada. I did that ride in April one year it was several hundred miles of +105 degree on a dirt bike.
    S
    U
    C
    K
    E
    D
    Nihon Newbie and Getnout like this.
  9. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    we are leaving may 30th, going for 10 days. is it really that hot?

we have been scouring the weather channel and got historcial data point for san diego of may/june= day high of 22C and low of 15c? (high 71f / low 59f)

same with las vegas may/june high of 35c low of 20c

salt lake city may/june high of 25c low of 15c.

or are we just being very naive?

please let me know cuz any more then 35c i think i would melt haha.

we want to go early enough in the year to miss the annual California fires/smoke, but not to early as to get snowed on through the mountains of BC.
    Getnout likes this.
  10. DSM8

Oddometer:
    Yeah it gets warm in june
    Btw how the heck u get to that bloddy spring?

Attached Files:

11. DSM8

Oddometer:
    Which end did u move first or second pic i think second makes most sense

Attached Files:

playinatwork likes this.
  12. DSM8

Oddometer:
    Vegas is avg 100deg F that time year was hotter when I went thru just plan expectations accordingly
  13. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes 2nd pic. The one with the white teflon slider.

Be very carefull. The teflon slider is spring loaded with tiny springs.
  14. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    just bought these. just trying to control the spray off the wheels in the wet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dash camera all installed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

no idea what happened to the sound, i think YouTube made it laggy, its off by about 10-15 secs??

not completely happy with the quality, altho i have had worse. but my car dash cam is way better ,(using an A119 VIOFO 2K,ultra hd)

the rear camera is only 480p, front is 720p, however the front one looks worse due to the fish eye/wide angle lens i suspect.

Nihon Newbie, 4tracker and plumer1kt like this.
  15. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like that white SUV is as fast as your CRF!:lol3
    Try to play with ISO setting (if there is) on your cam.That's the way i fixed video quality on my dashcam
  16. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sound is off by like 10 secs for some reason on youtube. Plays fine on my phone. By the time that suv was behind me i slowed down , but the audio makes it seem like im gunning it still lol.

I only payed 42$ for it so i was not expecting much. Im not trying to read license plates, just want back and front coverage for when that day comes and they try and "blame the motorbike" for the crash.

I dont know about other places, but here in alberta motorbikes are demonized. Just last year a guy got hit by a car. But the bike was traveling 10kmhr over the limit, so of course the media/police blew it up and made it seem like it was the bikes fault, cuz he was "SPEEDING". Never mind the fact the lady was doing her make up, while shaving and drove straight into the poor guy..........
  17. DSM8

Oddometer:
    I asume you moved the pin in a counter clockwise direction
    And yes i know about those pins and springs took a while the find em the first time after they took off
    Thank god my shop it pretty clean
  18. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems like alberta is not the only place in the world for that...
    Well ,now that you have a camera ,i'd like to see a night ride video with those M-LED's.
    Preferably how the high beam works on winding roads.I seek for the best high beam pattern for my retrofit.
  19. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @DSM8 let me know how you get along with this. I've been tempted to try this too. Last time I tried this on a different bike it ended with me buying a new throttle tube. If anyone will lose a tiny spring it's me.
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Besides deer I run into alot of cell phone idiots.Got pushed into turn lane by a Fricken cop on cell last year even.They are not legal but thinking about installing scramblers in vehicles just to piss them off.
    michaelkozera likes this.