2018 American Flat Track (and other flat track bs!)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Rich B, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Rich B

Rich B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I will start the 2018 American Flat Track thread. It is time, 2017 season is in the can. Time to get started on 2018!

Figured I would add other flat track, because holy crap, there was plenty of thread drift in 2017. May as well make it a bit more wide open, then the thread drift will be less noticeable :lol3

So when does Coolbeth announce his switch to Indian?

Since DogBoy created work for me, I have added the list of riders/teams/bikes to the first post:

Confirmed teams/riders/brands Factory Indian Rogers Racing
    Jared Mees
    Factory Indian Howerton Racing
    Bryan Smith
    Brad Baker
    Factory Harley Davidson
    Brandon Robinson
    tba
    Zanotti Racing (unsupported Kawasaki)
    Briar Bauman
    Carver's BBQ (Indian)
    Jeffery Carver
    Estenson Racing (Yamaha and Indian)
    Jake Johnson
    Indian Motorcycle of Springfield, Mass. (Indian)
    Jay Maloney
    Indian Motorcycle of Oklahoma City (Indian)
    Chad Cose
    PBR
    Davis Fisher

TBA teams/riders/brands

Kenny Coolbeth (mostly likely a privateer Indian)

Sammy Halbert
    (rumored to be HD Factory but no official news yet)

Johnny Lewis
    Henry Wiles
    (running his own effort again?)

Bronson Bauman

Stevie Bonsey

Robert Pearson

Mikey Rush

Jake Shoemaker

Stephen Vanderkuur

Danny Eslick

Jarod Vanderkooi

J.R. Addison
    OldTriumphRider likes this.
  2. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Indian Motorcycle Racing’s contingency structure breaks down by the following:
    • Championship - $25,000
    • 1st - $5,000
    • 2nd - $4,000
    • 3rd - $3,000
    • 4th - $2,000
    • 5th - $1,000
    • 6th - $900
    • 7th - $800
    • 8th - $700
    • 9th - $600
    • 10th - $500
    For more information on Indian Motorcycle Racing and the Indian Wrecking Crew, visit IndianMotorcycle.com and follow along on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. For information on purchasing a Scout FTR750, please contact Racing@IndianMotorcycle.com.

http://www.americanflattrack.com/ne...ram-offers-more-375000-performance-incentives
  3. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rich . Anyone have the schedule yet ?

Oh , about the thread drift , mea culpa :D But Ossa:lol3 seems to enjoy the Nixon stories :lol3
  4. ADK

ADK -------------------------

Oddometer:
    I don't see anybody taking the title away from Mees next year.
    norton73 and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  5. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mees is sure the favorite but if more Indians* show up in the right hands, Mees job is going to be a whole lot more difficult.

*Resisting the urge for a bad metaphor.
    Wa Ho Thuk and Rich B like this.
  6. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Andy di brino won the super hooligan points championship, and a new ftr750. Mentioned wanting to go to aft pro twins.

I'm sure he's got a lot of work cut out for him if that's the case, but would be cool to see.
  7. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    Di Brino is the guy who was riding the HD Street 750. Good for him. He races supermoto a bit, too.
    villageidiot likes this.
  8. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer

Oddometer:
    He mentioned doing some sort of road racing on 1000cc bikes and after that season wrapped up, went into flat track.
  9. PLJ.

PLJ. n00b

Oddometer:
    New member here, been Hawking and Stalking your Flatrack discussions for years. You folks have more knowledge and inside info than any other thread on the web relating to the FT sport. Any new insight or info on the development of the CRF1000 Africa Twin for the sport. The one example in Perris last week looked good, but didn't seem to hook up very well.
    Dessert Storm and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  10. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    Chad Cose said he had ground clearance issues with the Wood Honda Africa Twin package. Don't know if the problem was with the chassis or the size of the engine. Is that Honda parallel twin a compact engine? I haven't seen one in person. Doesn't look like they were getting any money from Honda (or anyone else) so its hard to speculate how much they will refine that package.

One of the many game changers that make up the Indian platform is an extremely compact engine.
  11. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer

Oddometer:
    the AT engine is not very compact. its as big, or bigger than the trumph engine everyone was saying is too big/wide.

that indian, is a SPECIMEN, a proper, purpose built racer, no bullshit, that thing is gunna be tough to out run all season long for a while, i feel.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  12. PLJ.

PLJ. n00b

Oddometer:
    I have sat on a few ATs in the dealership and the engine does seem high and wide, but was hoping there could be another player is the field. One more question:. When Carver was thanking HD on the podium last week in 2nd, do you think he received any support from the factory for this last race? Did HD bring out Baker's old XR parts in an effort to get an HD on the podium? Or even a factory XR? With the way Carver was riding the last few weeks, was this a factory backed XR750 Carver was on in a last ditch effort to beat the Indians with old reliable?
  13. ADK

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the nc700 motor might work well? :scratch
  14. rwahl

rwahl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is the advantage of a purpose built race engine, as opposed to starting with a production based engine - which has to be designed with long-term durability, streetable powerband, emissions, etc. all in mind.
  15. rwahl

rwahl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The NC700 engine was designed with MPG and efficiency as #1 priority. I think it would be very tough to bring it up to competitive power levels. Would be nice to see Honda out there though.
  16. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer

Oddometer:
    YUP!

just a shame more manufacturers don't step up like indian did.

and harleys effort last 2 years, hardly can be called an attempt at a replacement for the xr750
  17. rwahl

rwahl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would have been interesting to see what the Smith/Howerton Kawasaki could have done against the Indians - that was a great bike. I think the Yamaha is fairly close - but development takes time and money. Yamaha? The XG750 is an attempt, just not a successful one.:lol3 I really thought they'd be better by now.
  18. ADK

Oddometer:
    The XG750 is an embarrassment, who wants to see Harley go all out taking the best of the XR and updating the weak parts? :y0! THAT would be worth watching, for sure. :thumb
  19. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be a daunting task to update the XR , in fact when you were done it wouldn't really be an XR anymore.
    OHC instead of pushrods , a complete new crankcase , crankshaft , cylinders , and heads . My inside source tells me that HD is trowing quite a bit of money at V&H to continue development of the XG , we may see what amounts to a clean sheet design that shares nothing with the production motor .
  20. rwahl

rwahl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Achilles heels of the XR is the big end rod bearing and the fact that it is air-cooled. Like Wa Ho Thuk says, if you redesign around just those two things, it's not really an XR anymore. Clean sheet appears to be the way.