2018 American Flat Track (and other flat track bs!)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Rich B, Oct 14, 2017.

1. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple of Japanese guys came over and tried to qualify one at Springfield, spring race 2016. It'll take A LOT of development. Pretty much dead last in his heat, and semi.
  2. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    kirk69er and norton73 like this.
  3. rwahl

rwahl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a great event. If you haven't seen it, check it out.
  4. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plus the FTR has , no starting system , no charging system and just 4 gears in the transmission , just enough to get the job done and it has a replaceable flywheel to get the traction needed. There's something beautiful about purpose built weapons , something anyone building a racer from a production street motor wishes for.
    rwahl likes this.
  5. rwahl

rwahl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One can debate all day long about whether the Indian should have been allowed or not. But give Indian credit for this - that bike was the class of the field the second it hit the track. No teething problems, no reliability issues. Somebody knew what the Hell they were doing.
  6. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    I totally agree that they did their homework and kicked ass. The other factories are welcome to build up a racer of their own, but they chose not to. The others have to step it up, no reason to punish Indian for getting the job done.
  7. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ask Honda how that went in the 80's
  8. ADK

ADK -------------------------

Oddometer:
    What I'm wondering is how long will Indian be involved at this level?
  9. Rich B

Rich B Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I have that concern having seen that ugliness......I keep reminding myself that it is going to be difficult to stop one American company from handing another American company their ass.

No matter what one's opinion on what Indian did this year, you can't deny they built a great platform right out of the box. They also hired 3 very good riders. Jared Mees really stepped up and seemed to bond with the Indian platform. Congrats to everyone involved.

Actually, good thing Indian was in the game this year. As bad as the HD XG has been this season, there would have been crocodile tears shed over all of the Kawasaki and Yamaha victories....
    villageidiot likes this.
  10. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's no doubt about it, Indian did their due diligence. From bikes, to riders, to supporting a lower caliber series (super hooligans) to absolutely destroying the field except for what, 3 races? Absolutely first class. Now, where's the street tracker version of the scout to win on Sunday (Saturday) sell on Monday?
    norton73 and Rich B like this.
  11. Rich B

Rich B Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would settle for a version of the Scout that is in the mold of a Triumph Speed Triple with at least enough styling cues to say "flat track". A street legal hooligan Scout!
  12. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer

Oddometer:
    roland sands sells a kit to convert the scout to a "hooligan racer" not cheap, but gets the job done.
  13. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    I'd LOVE to see Indian build an adventure bike with a version of that engine. I need a bike that is dirt road friendly, can carry lots of gear for 2 people, gets good mileage, and is dependable.
    oh wait, I already have a vstrom!!
    Still, I'd love to see an American ADV bike. The Buell was ok, but I knew people that had them and they seemed a bit, lets say, fragile.
    back to flattrack, wonder if there will be any seat changes for next year?? Will Harley be able to convince anyone to ride that POS??
  14. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure some superhooligan riders would love it!!!
  15. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since there's no one left running AFT now who was a part of that regime. Your point is no longer valid.
    DogBoy likes this.
  16. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer

Oddometer:
    History repeats itself, different regime or not
    dsilver1007 likes this.
  17. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    The FTR motor is interesting , but by the time you add "bearing" , and flywheel , and lower the compression , and all of the other adjustments to make it a good street motor it would not really be an FTR anymore . A friend owns an early aluminum XR powered street tracker , by the time he made it really streetable it became kinda boring , although it is still interesting and gathers a crowd .
    DogBoy likes this.
  18. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    Very short Los Angeles Times article on the growth of American Flat Track in 2017.

kirk69er and norton73 like this.
  19. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    STK is right. No one is left at the AMA from those days and likely no one who makes decisions is left at HD and I'm 100% confident about Indian. :lol2

Seriously, I was skeptical of the new management but they seem to be doing a lot of things right.
  20. OldTriumphRider

OldTriumphRider Livin the Dream

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to think "positive " on AFT ! and hope they loose some of those narrow groove tracks...
    The 2 things on my mind looking to next yr are : 1 What's that TT track gona look like at Daytona? They says new design , I sure hope so .
    and 2 How many teams will be running Indians ?

It's only 5 months away ! I'll be at Daytona , this yr I'm gona try to set close enough that I can read the #s on the bikes. lol
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.