2018 American Flat Track (and other flat track bs!)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Rich B, Oct 14, 2017.

1. K1200LT

K1200LT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When will we start hearing who will ride what in 2018? Or even start hearing rumors???
    Interested in local riders - Brad Baker and Sammy Halbert.
    Thanks
    Steve
  2. Tork

Tork Aluminum Cigar Stuffer

Oddometer:
    The BMW 800 cc Parallel twin , I remember seeing one in a woods frame , what was the drawback and why did the development not proceed .
  3. JAKE62

JAKE62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'll go ahead and say it,
    Sammys going to factory Harley.
  4. Rich B

Rich B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless the pay is really good.......don't see that as a good move for Sammy. He was in the hunt on the Yamaha at times. The XG platform, not so much....
  5. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like car dealerships pricing !!! Indian has went down 10k in less than a year makes you wonder. Why don't you share who has ordered or already have their Indians, PLEASE, thanks
  6. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope Sammy don't go there, but like you say unless the pay is really good. It will be interesting what Coolbeth does !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had slid down several times at a short track night race and she walked up spit between her teeth and ask if she could ask me something, sure I said. She was a real hot shoe at that time riding in the 75cc class. Question why do you keep crashing, pissed me off told her I didn't know what I was doing. I was at the Jacksonville half mile the first time she raced an XR and her dad was shook up !!!!!!!!!!
  8. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    good question you know the kid won a single race on it.
  9. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome PLT, watch out for these guys, no really a great bunch young and OLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  10. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a senior moment, Dalton Gauthier a current single rider {22} won on the BMW last year, the single riders could ride twins on some miles. I needed to correct myself before that Calf. jumped my _ _ _!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did Brad loose his Indian ride ?
  12. PLJ.

PLJ. n00b

Oddometer:
    The sport needs rivalries. It gets and keeps the attention of the average fan, not us. People who don't care about the slipper clutch in the Indian or whether the Harley is liquid or air cooled cooled. Look at NASCAR and Supercross of years past. The "Intimidator" Earnhardt or "Bad Boy" Rick Johnson antics put more people in the seats in those days than any "Car of Tomorrow" or whatever fork RJ was running that week. He is my dream or nightmare of a fans pick chaos filled season. Mees/Coolbeth on the Indians, Baker/Carver on the Harley, Smith/Wiles on full factory support Kawasaki's, Halbert/full time Beech on factory supported Yamahas, remainder all filling in on support Scouts, old Xrs, African Twins, KTMs, etc.
  13. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Development ended because the BMW money never appeared to help Ron Woods. He wasn't willing to spend any more of his own money on it. I don't really blame him.
  14. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:

No we're not , we are a bunch of crusty old curmudgeons with one nice guy in the mix . Don't give PLT a false impression :D

So who might be capable of unseating Mees ? Not just your favorite racer , but who has a realistic shot W/O Jared having an unforeseen issue . And will my girl do some serious work on her TT skills so she can have a real shot at the singles title ?

Will Brad and Angelina work things out ? Oops , sorry , wrong forum :D
  15. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think smith can unseat mees again. Or coolbeth, if he gets on a real bike. Not sure what happened to baker this year, other than mees and smith being so dominant.
  16. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mees is the most well-rounded rider on the grid. Mees and Tolbert and the whole Rogers Racing team are setting a new standard. I think his biggest championship threat comes from the Killer Bs: Brad Baker and Briar Bauman. Both are young and fast on a variety of tracks. Carver and Halbert are capable dark horses.

Don't what happened to Smith in the 2nd half of this season, he should have been up front on those half miles. Smith's late season results were a real headscratcher. Coolbeth on a better bike is a threat at Springfield and he sure made the Daytona Short Track look easy a couple of seasons back but I'm not sure he's a consistent podium finisher on the rest of the schedule.
  17. PLJ.

PLJ. n00b

Oddometer:
    Is the KTM twin running periodically the 990 engine? Remember 10 years ago when Carr ran a KTM single on the TTs, really brought the orange into the spotlight, but then the presence diminished pretty quickly. Thought back then the orange was going to make a larger footprint, but it never happened.
  18. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its the 990 and its a private effort. With all of Michael Lock's talk about Euro manufacturers being interested in AFT I have to wonder if KTM would prefer to race the 800cc parallel twin they have coming out soon. Seems a better fit for flat track than the big V-Twin. On the other hand, KTM appears to be selling every bike they can make using SX/MX/offroad and GP to market their products. Don't know if they will dump any dollars into AFT.
  19. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Briar B was a pleasant surprise , but unless he can become the miler that Smith was on the Kawasaki to unseat Mees , he won't win the title . Carver is inconsistent , maybe Smith can up his game , but his mile game is way off for some reason , maybe not having more HP than the old XR's that Mees and Baker were racing took away his advantage on the mile tracks . Sammy is fast at times , but his style doesn't suit the really fast tracks . Dirt track is still a team sport , Mees has the best , most complete team .
  20. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have waited and waited on the #9 my hero story !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!