2018 American Flat Track (and other flat track bs!)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Rich B, Oct 14, 2017.

1. zenjen

zenjen Go Outside

Oddometer:
    villageidiot likes this.
  2. PLJ.

PLJ. n00b

Oddometer:
    I do agree, been watching Mees for years win on multiple, different surfaces. Ice, short track, oval, etc. As a rider with talent and skills on all surfaces, he is second to none. Smooth, consistent and always in the hunt. But, there are just too many interesting personalities, with glimpses of sporadic domination to discuss as well. No one it seems wants to discuss the Wiles TT streak!! The Peoria record stands as one of greatest of all time!! Most years on a carbureted older KXF and most recently on a privateer built twin!! Others seem to forget Baker's last HD ride in California. He decimated everyone while Smith and Mees were battling way back behind him. With any racing, HP is equated with dollars, I wonder what the outcome of a race featuring all identical equal machinery, say all oem Scouts, would show us. Back in the day, Kawasaki put up a snowmobile race, featuring all identical Invader 440s and invited all the fastest racers to participate in one race to see who was the best and of course, showcase there sled. Indian should take notice and revive this long forgotten race and promote a Scout Cup. One race, after the season. Would be a huge publicity stunt for the firm.
  3. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer

Oddometer:
    that gets sticky.... weights of riders, suspensions, bar setups, foot peg placement, all critical calculated areas that some riders just can't deal with.

Sammy can't ride a bike set up for Baker etc.

i think it'd be pretty neat to see a "spec motor" kinda class. with a paint markered engine. i know they do it that way in some desert race car series'
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  4. PLJ.

PLJ. n00b

Oddometer:
    It wouldn't be an end all championship or anything like that, but an opportunity for us to see the talent on a level playing field. Oem suspension, peg and control adjustment would all be allowed. Looking at the big track races this year, you could clearly see a HP/hookup difference between machinery. The slick 1/2 miles, cushions and TTs evend up the playing field a bit at the end, but no privateer effort could really catch up on the miles. Does anyone remember Willie Mcoy? A privateer out of Texas who didn't race much but won the Springfield Mile a few years ago!! I am not bitching about the new technology of the Indian, but it's domination may cause some teams to just call it quits. I hope not and I hope they continue to be a large sponsor of AFT and to put together a Scout Cup.
  5. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where have you been, nice to have some new blood here. At the end of last year after Smith had won, I stated he wasn't the best rider, boy did I get my but chewed by several saying if he's not the best who is. Well the best all around rider is back with number one. I had pulled for Smith several years but not now. Hoping Sammy gets a good ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm saving that for about January 1 when we will all need some humor :D
  7. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:

Indian is spending plenty of money already. I'd rather see their budget going to bikes in the Twins class, salaries for their team and contingency payouts. Dumping a bunch of money into a one-off race is a waste. There are no shortage of short track races outside the AFT schedule were we get to see head-to-head racing among the top riders on pretty-damn-equal 450 DTX bikes.
    Rich B likes this.
  8. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    are you racing nov. the 11 in Savannah ????????????
  9. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will you ask meatsack to tell us who has received or ordered 4 or 5 Indians. I was real sweet when I ask him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. JAKE62

JAKE62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yeah I will be there for sure, only 30 miles from home.
    Looks like it will be the last time for a 1/2 mile too, they're going to turn in to a 3/8s what a shame.
    We ran in Ocala Saturday night, Coolbeth was there having fun for a change too!
  11. JAKE62

JAKE62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If y'all know anyone that wants a nice framer it's for sale.

1105161131.jpg 1105161132.jpg
    ADK, stk0308, norton73 and 3 others like this.
  12. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know the promoter is for Savannah. ?
  13. JAKE62

JAKE62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Jason Griffin
  14. Trackster12

Trackster12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nace
  15. JAKE62

JAKE62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    jason_griffin_poster_large.22173600_std.jpg

Jason is the promoter for the November race, Steve Nave does the bike week race in Savannah.
  16. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
  17. gks

gks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One big issue with a "one brand spec bike race" is that anyone contracted to a team or manufacturer of a different brand would likely not be allowed to race. If the bikes were of a different class, say 450s, then there shouldn't be an issue, but I doubt that HD would allow a contracted rider, say Kenny Coolbeth, to ride an Indian.
  18. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CycleWorld "Five Questions" interview with AFT CEO Michael Lock right HERE.

Topics covered include possibly new rules about throttle bodies for production vs. race engines, growth of AFT audience and industry support along with safety issues.
  19. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks DogBoy you aint all bad, I don't care what they say !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. ossadmr

ossadmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jake, Did he promote last year nov. race ?