2018 April: Florida - California - Florida in 26 days

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gpax, Mar 27, 2018.

1. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And obviously my fat fingers are hitting the wrong keys and my proof read failed miserably

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  2. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    You take care of healing your knee. The roads will wait.

This time of year the Deep South route is best. Too hot in the summer. As I edge closer to Colorado the winter weather is still receding through May. I’ll be coming through the last week in April and am bracing for cold and snow. I can deal with dry roads and snow on the sides if I get lucky. Otherwise, it will wait for me, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  3. gpax

Oddometer:
    Did I mention I am trying Ride On in my tire. Put a new Anakee 3 on the rear to match the one on the front. A guy in my riding club was raving about Ride On so I am going to see for myself. It has balancing qualities as well as sealer. I’ll see what I think.

Called around in SoCal to find a shop for servicing should the need arise. A shop gave me a follow up call today. We talked about riding Palomar Mountain. I am doing Palomar Mountain on April 15th. Up S6 and down the East Grade. The excitement builds.

Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  4. gpax

Oddometer:
    Wouldn’t you know it. Sena 30K just released a firmware update. Updated it this afternoon just in time before I leave in the morning.

Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  5. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    Giddy up go......lucky devil.
    Ride safe and have a great one.

Tewster2 likes this.
  6. gpax

Oddometer:
    16,730 starting mileage on the odometer. Rita is all gassed up and ready to head west in the morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    I will be following your travels.
    I picked up maps of Texas Arizona Utah etc so I can trace your track

JBird and Tewster2 like this.
  8. gpax

Oddometer:
    April 3, 2018. Game day breakfast: oatmeal and cranberries with coffee. Be on the road to Lake Charles shortly.[​IMG]

Hi-De-Ho, oldgrizz and joenuclear like this.
  9. AK_Hoff

AK_Hoff Going slow as fast as I can.

Oddometer:
    Mmmmm yummy!
  10. gpax

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Arrived at Lake Charles avoiding rain. Hot. Up to 91 degrees F. Uneventful. Leg 1 complete.

11. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    It is snowing here bud.
    I HATE Old Man Winter

12. AK_Hoff

Oddometer:
    Snowed here last night. I hate winter too!!
  13. gpax

Oddometer:
    Arrived at Kerrville. Had lunch in Conroe with a hs classmate. Sat on US290 south of Austin for an hour due to a wreck. Arrived after dark. Motel6 is basic and beds are fine. Rode three sisters yesterday. Roads are a hoot. Supper at Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop. Going to Fredericksburg today and riding the Willow City Loop. One could easily stay here a week.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TNRyder, Hi-De-Ho, AK_Hoff and 3 others like this.
  14. Halen

Halen Suerte O Muerte

Oddometer:
    I did an extended loop out to Fredericksburg yesterday from Austin and 290 was a nightmare. Sorry you had to endure that stretch. If you are into beer hit Fredericksburg Brewery. It's near the center of downtown and a great place to grab a pint. Food is not bad. For a side trip the roads to Pedernales Falls are quality riding. Just south of Fredericksburg to Luckenbach and then on to Blanco are equally amazing roads. From here you could head back to Kerrville.
  15. gpax

Oddometer:
    Finished the Sisters (336) on April 6th then rode to Fredericksburg and up to Willow City Loop to look at fields of wildflowers (famous for their bluebonnets). Then we stopped in at the BMW rally ... Hill Country Hangout. It started last night but we got to move on. This would be a great place to spend a week or more. We just scratched the surface. Off today for Del Rio and US90 to Alpine in West Texas. The temps got down right hot yesterday. The temps are forecast to drop 30 degrees today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi-De-Ho, oldgrizz and Tewster2 like this.
  16. AK_Hoff

Oddometer:
    Good to see you back on the bike brother!
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  17. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Hey Greg,

I know you're getting closer to SoCal and would like to meet you at Santa Ysabel on the 11th and just tag along for the ride in... travel time to San Ysabel for me is about an hour and fifteen minutes from Oceanside...

Rudy...
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  18. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Greg, it is great to see you out riding again, after that debacle from last year. Ride On....Greg...Ride On. :ricky
  19. AK_Hoff

Oddometer:
    Greg, you have not posted since Saturday, hope all is well?
    Tewster2 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  20. gpax

Oddometer:
    Technical problems with my phone charging. Wasn’t sure if it was the phone battery, the charger or the cable. Turned out to be the cable was intermittent and the phone wouldn’t charge. Fixed now.

The ride from Kerrville was the coldest day starting at 38 degrees. Used my Gerbing gear. Temps warmed up to the 60s when we hit the Rio Grande Valley. The Pecos Canyon bridge was scenic. Clear riding to Alpine. We ate at the historic Holland Hotel. Excellent food but a bit pricey.

Next day we rode to Marfa. An arty town in the middle of West Texas. Stopped at the historic Piasono Hotel. Stunning county court house. Rode by the Marfa lights visitor center. On to Ft Davis. Turned on TX-118 through the beautiful Davis Mountains and took a side trip to the McDonald Observatory. Joined I-10 at Kent and took a hot, extremely windy (40mph) ride to El Paso. Jumped off the interstate to La Mesa and took NM-28 up the Rio Grande Valley to Mesilla. Groves of Pecan trees on both sides. Ate at La Posta restaurant in Old Mesilla. Coolest historic stage stop.

Left Mesilla and took I-10 to Deming. Took US-180 to Alpine, Az. Nice ride. Alpine is in a gorgeous setting. Took the most magnificent motorcycle ride to Clifton, AZ. Incredible is the only way to describe US-191. Clifton is home to the largest open pit mine in the world. You have to see it to believe it. We came riding into Safford at dusk. Tired but with huge smiles.

Left Safford on US-70 / 60 through Globe and Florence to Casa Grande. After a couple of miles on I-10 we turned west on I-8 for Yuma into the setting sun. 106 degrees and blast furnace winds. Our waitress in Yuma was a 2012 grad of Navarre HS in Santa Rosa County.

Left Yuma on I-8 through the Imperial Valley and Imperial Sand Dunes to Ocotillo. Took the old Butterfield Overland Stage S-2 to Borrego Springs. 110 degrees. Stopped at Carlees to cool down. Took the Ranchita grade S-22 up the Sierra. Took the Mesa Grande loop. That whole ride was stunning. Went through ST Ysabel and Ramona to Poway and into the Backdoor to San Diego.

Rested yesterday. Changing oil and cleaning up bike today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ol Man, AK_Hoff, RJ44 and 2 others like this.