2018 April: Florida - California - Florida in 26 days

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gpax, Mar 27, 2018.

1. KKORO

KKORO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya' know, this is a terrible thing to be doing to me. Just today, we finally got our cars out after 36" of snow in 4 days.

Be Well! KKORO
  2. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    Didn’t get bike stuck in snow but did get stuck in sand. The little mound of dirt turned out to be too high. Got hung up. Gave it gas and the rear tire buried to the axel. No way I could think of to get out without help. Used my motorcycle AAA coverage and was pulled out 5 minutes after the tow vehicle arrived.
    I was so embarrassed. But now I know. Zion National Park is stunning as always but you have to park your bike and ride a bus. Staying at the Quality Inn in Springdale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JBird likes this.
  3. gpax

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wonderful ride leaving Zion yesterday. Then turned on UT-12 thru Red Canyon to Bryce Canyon. Beautiful. Weather moving through. Met Chris at the Ruby Inn for lunch. My bones were aching from the front so I skipped Bryce and the girls went in their rental car without me. I’ve been there several times.

JBird likes this.
  4. gpax

Oddometer:
    30 degrees and snow. Not sticking on roads. High predicted today 40 degrees and cold rain. 20 degrees warmer and sunny tomorrow.

I’m taking a maintenance day for laundry and such. My arm, hip and ribs still ache from a fall I took in Arizona. Nothing much to say but I lost my balance and fell on a concrete curb. Right arm is completely purple with a knot. Sharp pain in my ribs when I move. Stuff hip. One day off the bike won’t be bad.

Awoke to a white Rita this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AK_Hoff likes this.
  5. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Greg. You certainly have some adventures on your trips. The fall then getting stuck in the sand. Then some snow. Your trip is making memories for you thats for sure.
    Weather here today to hit 12 deg C then into the 20's next week.
    The weather will be beautiful and I am grounded with the new knee.
    Day 5...it is a bit swollen and bruised but to be expected. I can bend it 110 deg.
    I can lift my heal about 10 inches off the bed when laying down so things are progressing.

Ride safe bud

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you’re coming along well Ray.
    gpax likes this.
  7. gpax

Oddometer:
    Rode the Burr Trail yesterday. Fabulous. Long Canyon is stunning. The pavement runs out just before the switchbacks. Switchbacks are gravel but in good shape. A couple of miles later the road Ts. To the right Bullfrog Marina is 33 miles. To the left the road is 24 miles to pavement... the continues to UT-24. 24 miles of the most gawd awful wash board roads with sand pits. When I got to Moab I found my case rack had cracked through a weld. Spent this morning at Truevalue Hardware doing a temp fix with hose clamps. Yesterday I scratched 128 and Shaefer Trail. Today Moki Dugway and Valley of Gods will be skipped. It’s 1PM and I am getting a quick bite before I leave Moab. So I’ll go directly to 3 Step Hideaway. Pics are on my camera. My cellphone has been having issues as well. Time for a new phone.

JBird and pceire32 like this.
  8. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    Take care bud and have a great ride.

9. gpax

Oddometer:
    Late start out of Moab chasing wife’s lost sunglasses. Restaurant she last remembered having them didn’t open until 11AM. Then I was off to True-value HardwAre to buy hose clamps to hold together side case frame broken weld. Fixed Rita (my bike) in the parking lot. By that time I bagged Valley of Gods and Moki Dugway. Headed to 3 Step Hideaway. Scott and Julie are awesome. More about that later.

JBird and oldgrizz like this.
  10. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your ride report, Greg. I have never ridden the Burr Trail, but it's on my short list. The ferry is repaired now, so I'll probably head that way and tie it into a ride to include the Moki Dugway. We camped at Muley Point on the top of the Moki Dugway, and it was one of the best places I have ever camped. Beautiful views and it felt like camping up in the stars! Too bad you weren't able to ride Valley of the Gods and the Moki Dugway. Add it to your list for future rides...

Stay safe.
    JBird and Tewster2 like this.
  11. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's been a week since the last update...where's Greg?
    JBird likes this.
  12. gpax

Oddometer:
    I am home!!!! Left on April 3, 2018 traveling to the Pacific Coast and back on Rita (V-Strom 650). My cell started working intermittently the first week. I found if I twisted the phone (iPhone 6+) slightly I could get it to unfreeze or at least restart. So, some of my onroad reporting was less than expected. I have my camera to download and look through the pics. Although on my most dramatic day in Colorado the battery failed. Anyways, I'll be posting now that I'm home.
    Halen and JBird like this.
  13. gpax

Oddometer:
    I can tell you that I took too much stuff. Not way too much but too much. If you are traveling on a bike, less is better. Way better. I took four "street" shirts and two pairs of walking shorts at my wife's insistence and only needed one pair of street shorts and one button up shirt. I took three pair of jeans as riding pants and mailed one pair home. Three pairs of LD comfort shorts was about right. I needed one short sleeve and one long sleeve synthetic undershirt (the easy to wash in the sink kind) to ride under my jacket in the desert. I wore rain pants over my jeans over smartwool long johns over LD shorts over the passes and through snow in Colorado. I took two riding jackets. Mesh for the desert as well as hot days and my blue waterproof jacket (from my Alaska trip) for cold days. I had a Gerbing jacket and gloves. The Gerbing gloves worked but I think something is wrong with the jacket. So I substituted a light down packable jacket and a vest for the electric under jacket. I have heated grips which are not as good as the gloves. I wore smartwool socks and my boots at all times and my feet were fine. For sleeping, I took along a pair of gym shorts, cotton briefs and a synthetic t-shirt. Shy away from cotton. Might I suggest Woolite to sink-wash synthetic clothes and a roll of quarters to wash clothes. I also took 5 tide pods which were better than the boxes of soap they sell.
  14. gpax

Oddometer:
    The temp on my bike ranged from 110 in the California Desert to 38 in the Colorado mountains. The one day it snowed and rained heavily I took off and stayed put in Bryce, Utah. That was the only day of rain. The crosswinds were terrible several days. Wind gusted at 45 mph 90 degrees to the road for hours twice ... Death Valley and on the New Mexico / Texas border. In Death Valley I was fighting a dust storm as well. 18 wheelers made the ride to Amarillo pure hell suddenly blocking the crosswind and just as suddenly exposing me to it again. The wind was so bad, I did not venture out to Palo Duro Canyon. That's another place for the raincheck list.
  15. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    Dont forget rule 1 of motorcycle travel.
    Make a list of everything you want to take.
    Write down how much money you are going to take.
    Tear the list in half and take twice as much money.

Halen likes this.
  16. gpax

Oddometer:
  17. gpax

Oddometer:
    Isn’t that the truth. In my case my wife watched me pack. Most of the clothes I never wore were her influencing the packer ... me.

oldgrizz likes this.
  18. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    That inReach track is really cool! Nice trip!
  19. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    I followed you from day 1 of your trip on the Garmin site. It is very effective and easy to use.
    It tattles on you if you sleep in and get a late start though.

20. gpax

Oddometer:
    I digress: Here is a photo of the rack that cracked on the washboard road after the Burr Trail. I contacted an ADV friend who will reweld this rack.

P5010437.JPG