1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Sold 2018 BMW R Nine T Urban GS w/Wilbers

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by Some Beach, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Some Beach

Some Beach Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Inmate price $10,000 in Phoenix, AZ

UGS ADV l side wall start here.JPG

Great bike with just under 8K miles. Upgrades include fully adjustable Wilbers suspension front & rear with 70mm additional travel ($3k), extended foot-pegs, and Hepco & Becker rear rack, engine guards and skid plate ($1K). Atlas Cruise control. All service up to date including the most recent oil change, and brake service 200 miles ago.
    The bike has been dropped twice (once on each side for symmetry), once at a stop and once in a slow turn. Both were on a gravel road (see photo) and caused scratches to the engine guards.

Factory equipment includes ABS, automatic stability control, traction control, heated grips and spoked wheels wearing almost new Shinko 804/805.

I love the bike but I have five and need to downsize a bit. My son recently got me back into riding almost all dirt and while this UGS will do most of it but I recently bought a Honda 450L soon so I need to thin the herd. I rode several of these before buying this one and the Wilbers suspension makes a huge difference both on and off road.
    UGS ADV R side 1.JPG UGS ADV Front bars use this one.JPG UGS ADV front.JPG UGS ADV R side close rear.JPG UGS ADV R side from rear tire.JPG UGS ADV scratches.JPG UGS ADV wilbers wide shot.JPG UGS ADV wilbers.JPG UGS ADV front tire.JPG UGS ADV vin.JPG
    VOLdog, SilentRay, C.Hensley and 17 others like this.
  2. juanfrancisco

juanfrancisco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the new seat height?
  3. Some Beach

Oddometer:
    34.5"

UGS la sal 4.jpg
  4. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's like 3" taller then my 800XC. How tall are you and what is your inseam?
  5. nadaproblem

nadaproblem n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello. Is there any other damage beside the scratches on the engine guards? Also, is the factory warranty still in effect? And if so, for how long? Thanks
  6. Some Beach

Oddometer:
    There is no damage to the bike other than scratches, no issues. She looks great and has been well cared for with all maintenance items being done before schedule. The warranty expires sometime this year but I need to look up the date and will edit this post with that info. I never paid attention to the warranty because its a boxer camhead, just an amazing machine and a joy to ride down the road.

UGS Farm right side.jpg
  7. nadaproblem

nadaproblem n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update.
  8. Kikemon

Kikemon Buffoon Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stock seat height is 33.5”. Did the new shock really raise it 2.5”?
  9. Putty

Putty n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you still have stock suspension; what percentage driven on/off road; do you have title in hand; one service interval and just an oil change for 8k miles?

Regards'

Putty
    Some Beach likes this.
  10. Some Beach

Oddometer:
    All service is documented, up to date and ahead of schedule. The first service was done at the dealer and I have done the rest. Clean title in hand. I don't have the stock suspension. Less than 100 miles off road. Most of the miles were highway (CA to AZ, then AZ to CA and back, then AZ to UT to CO to NM to AZ, then AZ to NM and Back.) My plan was to turn this into a 50/50 bike and ride it to campsites down fire roads with the occasional easy jeep trail but I have a WR250R that gets used instead. Now I'm heading in an even more dirt direction and this is not the bike for the job.

It's pure joy to ride and is set up perfectly.
    UGS Cliffs.jpg
    BIG-E likes this.
  11. contacterich

contacterich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify, isn't the front fork travel unchanged (140 mm or so)? I understand it's taller but the travel isn't different from stock, right?
  12. Some Beach

Oddometer:
    I took her for a ride during my lunch break so I could get the actual seat hight and she now has 7976 miles on her. It was a chilly 59* in Phoenix today. A great time for a fly-n-ride as we'll be up in the mid 70s by Friday. This is the perfect bike for roads like the Coronado Trail and she knows the route already.

I was incorrect in my seat hight estimate and measured it today. It’s 34.5” and I can flat foot it. I’m 6’1” 190 with an inseam of 33”. Thanks to the above for pointing out my error.
    UGS Flat foot copy.jpg
    UGS Seat hight 34.5 copy.jpg
    Not a great photo, but with a level and having my son recheck we both got 34.5"

I believed that to be correct but one of our more knowledgable inmates informed me that the travel is increased by about 20 to 30mm. You can double check that with the guys on this thread:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-r-ninet-urban-g-s.1185613/
    It’s 116 pages long but has a wealth of information about the Urban and lots of knowledgable/helpful guys. I’ll research it as soon as I get a break from work; I’ve been slammed and I'm also trying to answer several PMs about the Urban.

The best info I could locate was from the Wilbers website, hope it helps:

"Our suspension kit for the BMW models R NineT Scrambler and Urban GS was created in cooperation with a strong partner.

Our focus was to create a suspension that clearly underlines the character of the respective models. We noticed that the serial suspension lacked adjustment options.

Thus, we modfied the orginal fork and developed a longer shock absorber that was especially setup for those motorcycles.

The fork was equipped with longer tubes and cartridges that, opposite to the serial fork, possess rebound- and compression-adjustment and also allows spring preload adjustment. The result is a raising of full 70mm. Therewith the R NineT not only gains suspension travel but also ground clearance. Both are best conditions to be able to enjoy the ride offside of paved roads.

Make your BMW long legs and enjoy the indescribable riding experience.

Suspension kit includes:
    -shock absorber type 642
    -Cartridge-Set "C30R" includes longer standpipes
    -fork oil

Of course, we give a 5-year manufacturer warranty on our products.

Note:
    Shock absorber adjustable in spring preload, rebound damping and in compression damping."

All I know is if you ride an Urban GS stock and then you ride one with the Wilbers you won't want anything but the Wilbers. It's amazing offroad and in the twisties!

- Dave
  13. Some Beach

Oddometer:
    Purchased a 2020 Honda CRF450L today, got a deal bump. Need to thin the heard bump.

UGS Coronado Trail.jpg
    Coronado Trail, AZ before she got the new shoes.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. Some Beach

Oddometer:
    Lower Price Bump 10K. I installed an Atlas throttle lock cruise control prior to my last multi-state trip and it works nicely.

UGS Morenci Tire.jpg
  15. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know this is a long shot but it is also a free bump -
    If you are interested in selling the Wilber’s rear shock, returning the bike to stock height, and offering it for less money, I would be interested in the Wilber’s rear shock.

Just a thought/offer.

Thanks,
    Sno Dawg
    Some Beach likes this.
  16. Some Beach

Oddometer:
    The bike is set up perfectly so I want to see the new owner enjoy her as intended.

True and thanks for the comment!
    Sno Dawg likes this.
  17. Some Beach

Oddometer:
    Still available bump
  18. O'Hooligan

O'Hooligan Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming with the short screen long distance riding is a challenge?
  19. Some Beach

Oddometer:
    I assumed the same thing prior to purchase, but was pleasantly surprised. My only other touring experience was on a FJR with the stock windscreen and a Goldwing with a Madstad. The Urban does great for me at speeds well over 70MPH as the wind is dispersed across your body. I rode from San Jose down PCH to the 10 and then over the Phoenix in August and I was presently surprised; wind, heat and all it was a fun trip. I took several other long trips with the same experience.

The Madstad on the Goldwing was fine unless I put my head up too high and then my neck would hurt. I've never had neck pain riding the Urban. Of course if there is rain/snow then the FJR and Wing were way better at keeping you dry, but wind alone isn't an issue and in heavy cross winds the Urban did better than the Wing but not as well as the FJR. YMMV.
    UGS Back in AZ.jpg
    MaverickNC likes this.
  20. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Does this bike have tubeless rims?