2018 Boot Reviews?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by grizCP, Apr 5, 2018.

1. grizCP

grizCP DROC

Oddometer:
    Quality seems to wax and wane from year to year with some manufacturers... so what's good and "less good" in 2018 for boots? Which seem to be the best value given the current MSRPs?

I like my (2015-ish) Sidi Zeros - but, I think I'm on my last resole - I may have let them go too far through the outer sole this time. Plus, that compound has been wearing really quickly.

At the $240 price point, I may try out the Forma Boulders...

Any strong opinions out there?
  2. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alpinestars
    alpineboard, KevinBB and 10K like this.
  3. Greebe

Greebe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of the Forma Boulder boots that I like. Only have one season on them right now, but so far so good. I have wide feet and these fit perfect.

[​IMG]
  4. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2017 I purchased a pair of Gaerne Balance Oil Boots from Revzilla and the soles fell off both boots almost immediately. Revzilla offered total replacement but it was going to cost me more in shipping than to have them reglued locally. So once reglued locally they have been great. I told the Revzilla rep that Gaerne should know about this problem and he said, “Believe me Gaerne knows about this problem.” Revzilla gave me some a Revzilla bucks equal to the local repair cost. Five stars to Revzilla.
  5. wawarides

wawarides where's Laura0107? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hubby likes the Formas; they're actually the only brand that I found to fit his thick-footed Sasquatch self.
  6. Beatprojim

Beatprojim Beatprojim

Oddometer:
    Griz, where did you send to resole?
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    • Forma
    • were actually too tall for me and certainly not the quality of Sidi's. I would stay with Sidi's if your foot is narrow enough to do so.
  8. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer:
    These were tall...
    [​IMG]
    KevinBB and jonnyc21 like this.
  9. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It sounds like listening to the Revzilla overview that the Sidi zero.1 has a flexible sole and the Forma Boulder is a very stiff sole.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  10. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    I'd actually like a taller boot with a stiffer sole. My former Gaernes had way too soft and flexible sole to be comfortable for my sore old feet. Alpinestars Tech-T sole is perfect stiffness for me, but boots are too low to work with my CTi knee braces. I only wear knee protectors now, but might like to wear my braces, as I get doing bigger obstacles. Formas might just be the ticket!
    alpineboard and fprintf like this.
  11. Beatprojim

Beatprojim Beatprojim

Oddometer:
    The Gaernes felt like house shoes to me - too soft. The Sidi's were so stiff initially that I had my buddy wear them for a while to break them in. Once broken in they were my favorites. My current Alpinestars are mid-stiff and usable out of the box. I probably have another year left on my two pairs of Alpinestars but my next pair will be between the Astars and Sidis
    ADVCoop and Norman Foley like this.
  12. jeffs2200

jeffs2200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you want alpinestars or formas let me know, I may be able to get you a good deal.
    I have both. The Forma are very comfortable but a little tall and almost zero foot/ ankle protection. The a stars are shorter and offer much better protection, they fit my wide 4e width feet also.
  13. grizCP

grizCP DROC

Oddometer:
    http://mxbootrepair.com/

I took them to my local boot repair shop first - they would be cheaper IF I could get the soles without paying the Euro-shipping rates. It ended up about equal and the guy (I am blanking his name) at mxbootrepair seemed really knowledgable about Sidi sole options, in fact he had trials soles in stock. I would use him again despite the hassle of shipping them off - he seemed to do a good job.

I do have uber skinny ankles and feet, so I'll probably stick with Sidi again. Heck, I may send them off just to see if he can repair them one more time and save $150.

Side note: I bought a CHEAP pair of Novogars to wear last time while I was waiting for the Sidi repair. Those boots aren't the most comfortable, but the soles are tough! I wear them with my X-trainer most of the time now.
    Beatprojim and 16rally like this.
  14. grizCP

grizCP DROC

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I'll PM you if I go that way! Appreciate it.
  15. Buschog

Buschog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like a boot with a stiffer sole. I'm in the Gaerne's right now, and bruised my foot last weekend when I had to step off really hard to not hurt myself. Ironic huh?

Alpine Stars aren't made in size canoe, so they are out. I may try Sidi or Forma next if they come in a 14
  16. Beatprojim

Beatprojim Beatprojim

Oddometer:
    After griz posted the mxbootrepair.com I looked at the website and wondered if there are customization possibilities? So Buschdog needs a stiffer sole on his Gaerne's, can mxbootrepair take his Gaernes and add a more MX like sole??
    Buschog likes this.
  17. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I have both A-Stars No Stop and Gaerne Balance Pro. The Gaerne boots are older and I originally used them to commute to work. They're not waterproof so they received an immediate coating of Sno-Seal. They were "tennis shoe comfy" from Day One. I still use them when I'm practicing (although I should probably switch to my "competition" boots so I'm more used to them). They're now more or less waterproof (i.e. they'll handle riding thru water but I don't think I could go stand in a stream for more than a minute or so). The No Stop boots are a little more narrow but still comfortable. Their footprint is certainly smaller. I notice that the soles seem to really grip the pegs unlike the Gaerne boots where it's easier to slide/move my feet). I like the clasps on the A-Stars better. They're smaller and less prone to fatigue/breakage than the Gaerne design. The No Stop boots also received a coating of Sno-Seal although the neoprene liner leads me to believe they're a little more waterproof, from the factory, than the Gaerne boots are. I think it's personal preference (see all comments above). For pure comfort, I'd lean to the Gaerne. For overall performance, I'd lean to the A-Stars.

I'm also a cheap a$$. The Balance Pros were bought at the end of the season on close-put. They were about ~$150, IIRC. The No Stops were purchased in Italy and were being displayed on a mannequin on the showroom floor. They were about the same price, IIRC. YMMV.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  18. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have Gaerne Balance Oil and I agree with the almost too soft comments. They are fine for the back yard stuff I mostly do. But if I started riding events I think I would want something with my stiffness.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  19. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    Last summer after an enduro I threw my hydration pack in my van cab on top of my A-Stars Tech T boots. The bladder drained electrolyte mix into one boot. That stuff will grow nasty organisms like crazy, so I washed the boot out with hot water, soap, etc. and left it to dry. We were riding trials that night, so I wore my old Gaerne Balance Oiled boots. I had to quit after 15 minutes, my feet hurt so bad. They were a fine trail work/ dual sport boot, but I can't wear them doing serious trials.
    alpineboard, KevinBB and ADVCoop like this.
  20. Dirt Dud

Dirt Dud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did someone come up with that perfect pair of boots yet ?
    Norman Foley likes this.