1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2018 Cannonball Rally

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by arbalest, Aug 16, 2018.

1. arbalest

arbalest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want to see some VINTAGE bikes, come to Portland, Maine Sept. 7,8. Portland, Maine is the starting point for the 2018 Cannonball Rally. This year doing 3600 miles from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon. The bikes will be on display on Friday Sept. 7 from 1:15 til 3:00 ish, at Bug Light Park in So. Portland. The bikes will leave on the first leg of the ride at 9:00 AM from Big Moose Harley Davidson in Portland. This is a motorcycle rally. Any motorcycle is eligible.....as long as it is at least 100 years old. Talk about vintage...
    Hi-De-Ho, 1oldsickle and TonyKZ1 like this.
  2. DJones

DJones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We're ready in Georgia. See you guys in about 3 weeks!

IMG_1917.JPG
    BeezaJohn, patiodadio, MrBob and 11 others like this.
  3. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing them on their stop in Binghamton, NY.
    NewYorkLuke likes this.
  4. Whitehorse2003

Whitehorse2003 nose pickin GOB

Oddometer:
    Spokane To Portland Or. for us.
    Done 3, awesome site to see, and great people.
    Mista Vern likes this.
  5. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was so impressed when I went up to Daytona to watch the start a few years ago. The sounds and starting procedures was so awesome. The bikes were all lined up at low tide for a group picture. Try riding a foot clutch motorbike through deep beach sand !!!!
  6. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen them when they came by Cape Girardeau, MO. the last couple of years or so. Apparently not this year, as the closest is Stage 5, Wednesday, September 12 @ the Holiday Inn Express, Bourbonnais, IL.

It's pretty impressive considering the age of the bikes and sometimes the riders too.
  7. riggpigg

riggpigg Known,but not famous Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got more miles on this old wobbler now than I ran in all of 16 CB...hopefully we did everything right this go round.......shes ready.......
    IMG_1914.jpg
    BeezaJohn, patiodadio, MrBob and 14 others like this.
  8. riggpigg

Oddometer:
    Got the backup motor done today and are running heat cycles on it, hopefully I won't need it....... IMG_2365.jpg
  9. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Backup motor? Wow, you are dedicated or maybe just cautious and hoping you won't need it, right.
  10. Slipkid

Slipkid Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    He's also rich....
    ArielNut likes this.
  11. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6hrs from your township..................

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mar...16f58aced8d!2m2!1d-87.879523!2d41.1760108!3e0
  12. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. riggpigg

Oddometer:
    Broke.........
  14. canderson88

canderson88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Money is on Indian for the Win!
    patiodadio and riggpigg like this.
  15. riggpigg

Oddometer:
    I made a critical mistake in 2016 after a perfect run in 2014, I had the bottom end set up too tight on my engines. I had two strokers and a stock 61 inch engine ready. I lost the first engine to seizure after around 400 miles. We changed to the second engine and it lasted 150 miles, I took the third motor(out of another 16 I had, now sold) and made another 200 miles or so.....we had another "Borrowed" motor from a friend, but we couldn't figure out the problems so I declined to use it and we called it quits at the western edge of Kansas. I sought help from another CBer immediately upon returning home and Chris, my restoration expert got together with him and they figured out the issues and built this engine Im running now. It seems really good, is running great, and I hope it lasts. Chris built this backup as well as another JD for another team and the JD has 800 or so miles on it and is running good. Ive got my fingers crossed that we are past the self inflicted problems we had in 16. There's such a learning curve on these old turds, not many manuals detailing the "correct" procedure. We were lucky to receive help from" Numo" to get us headed in the right direction. Im also very fortunate to have Chris, Ive commented before about him. Hes been with me for going on 5 years now. He is so anal and precise and I simply couldn't do this without him. I hope he carries the torch into the future along with a few other "Youngsters" who have taken this field up.

Slip alluded in an earlier post about the cost of these, yeah, I guess its a pricy indulgence, so are motor homes, boats, airplanes, collector bikes, cars and whatever. I guess it all depends on what a guy decides to do with his money. I spent a lifetime kissing asses, missing weekends with kids, and not sitting on my ass wringing my hands. Now Im here...Im enjoying it so I guess Im "Rich"........I got a buddy in a hospital bed as this is written who had a freak as fuck crash on his KTM, he has no use of anything but his left arm......Life can throw some shitty breaks at us at any time, so Im gonna enjoy this next CB, the people along the way, the riders, the crews, and I hope I don't have to experience another long as hell day in the ''Bus of Shame" like I endured in 16, but even that was fun. I met a couple of guys on the ride that I stay in contact with to this day......

If you get a chance, come see us, there are a lot of different machines, and riders and crews. We mostly all share a passion for these old bikes and what it takes to keep em on the road. Most riders are welcoming to chat and are really colorful characters, and the machines, well, if not for Lonnie Isams vision, and Jason picking up the reins after Lonnies passing, most of the bikes would be sitting in personal collections never seeing the light of day nor would anyone but a select group ever get to see them, let alone hear them run.

So, Tony, to answer you..........yeah, Im dedicated.

Come out and see us at a stop, make it a riding destination. It'll give you an excuse to get out on your bike and go for a ride.......
  16. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks for the reply and info. It's amazing what all kind of preparation and effort goes into one of these rides. I'll see what i can do about making it up there, as I've (and many others too of course) enjoyed meeting with you guys & girls out on your journeys.
  17. riggpigg

Oddometer:
    Tony, you mentioned Cape Girardeau Mo, that town flat rolled out the mat for us. Very cool stop!! I met a guy in 14 there, he came up to me and started asking questions about my ride, a 1932 VL. He told me of his father, who although now gone, had ridden a 32 VL. He had searched for a 32 for years but couldn't find either a complete enough or priced right deal and had just about given up. I told him I had a spare 32 as a parts bike in the trailer. If he wanted it when we finished Id call him and make him a deal he couldn't pass up. We visited and he left. I never figured Id hear from him a gain. two days after returning home from Tacoma, he called. He showed up at my shop that weekend, I loaded him up with more than enough NOS and used parts, the bike, sheet metal, tires and anything else Id acquired to make the successful run and away he went. He finished that bike and sent pix later on of it....he was truly a happy guy.
    There are stories like this from a lot of other guys as well, it would make for a cool book maybe some day....who knows??
    I ended up with two bushel baskets of old dealer manuals from a guy that had them left over from his dads dealership. He didn't know what to do with them so he brought them to a stopover and I bought them from him.
    You just never know what a guy will walk up to you and have to say or to offer.....Its a great experience....
  18. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's great! We sure enjoyed having you guys here in Cape Girardeau, MO. Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to more stories about the rides & stops.
  19. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    Best of luck to you, riggpigg. Hope to see you in Portland, Oregon!
    earwig and riggpigg like this.
  20. Slipkid

Slipkid Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm rooting for ya. I hope you do well, including enjoying the hell out of the ride.