2018 DAKAR RALLY COVERAGE a.k.a. firehose thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wrote to him. That he was on France 4 TV.

Chavo lost 35:24 today.

This cost him a extra 25 minutes.

He respond the bike is running great.
    But have a problem, the fuel from the rear tank is not passing to the front, had to stop twice to fill fuel in front tank, but that run to the back tank.
    Had to stop 3 times to blow the fuel van rear to the front.

Any solutions?

What could be wrong.
  2. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Himoinsa Team

The Ica desert does not disappoint in the second stage of the DakarJanuary 7, 2018 /

STAGE 2: PISCO - PISCO (Special: 267 km - Total: 278)

A special loop with an out-of-track track almost entirely offered the first difficulties for the whole caravan.

Pisco (Peru). The real Dakar is here. After yesterday's race briefing, all the drivers were expecting a very difficult day today and that is how it was done. The Organization has introduced a new format on this day, with the departure of cars in front of the bikes, which has clearly conditioned both categories to leave cars without their usual traces of motorcycles, and riders with a shattered ground and with a tangle of ruts that have forced them to rely solely on their own navigation. The nearly 300 km of special have not disappointed, very fast, with lots of sand and a multitude of waypoints and changes of course that have put many in all trouble.
    Gerard Farrés has entered the finish line 20 minutes from the first place of the day after recovering from the 25th position of Way Point 1 to the 15th position in the finish line after a very good second half of the special where he managed to recover a lot of time for the previous riders.
    Dani Oliveras has made an almost perfect navigation, with several pilots following his steps inside the special in a tour very much to his liking. On the contrary, Marc Solà has encountered some technical problems with his GPS, which has reduced his concentration and has made him lose valuable minutes. Iván Cervantes has managed to keep and without risking in a day with much to lose and little to gain. On the other hand, Rosa Romero has finished the day without incidents and looking for the regularity that characterizes her.
    The team's strategy has been maintained in this second stage: not risk and finish the first kilometers of race without incidents, there are many miles and difficulties ahead.

Gerard Farrés (@gerardfarres): "The stage has been brutal. We have found dozens of cars hooked, there they will stay, it was very easy to get stuck with the sand so soft, very difficult. I had two flights with Benavides, we could not see the area and we suddenly jumped in parallel, luckily we did not go to the ground. The strategy was to go out and go at my pace despite the fact that those in front are stronger, and I have done so, placing myself in the top 20 and holding on day by day. Physically it has cost a lot, I have very heavy arms to fight against the ruts of cars. This is very noticeable on the off-road tracks that this year's official bikes are more compact and lightweight. I am very motivated and the day has gone well, we are taking the right steps. "

Dani Oliveras (@ danioliveras_21): "It was a very beautiful day, with a beautiful route, although quite dangerous because of the cut dunes. For my part I made a perfect navigation except for a small error at km 30, where I lost 10 minutes. In some areas I found 4 ruts, very few we had done well. I have been driving almost all day, without running too much and holding back a lot because I have seen many falls. "
    Iván Cervantes (@ IvanCervantes25): "I had a very good day, riding very very calm to avoid the falls. I have found areas of fesh-fesh very deep, with many hidden stones, so I decided to keep and avoid falling. The KTM has been incredible, with a lot of power, it shows a lot of work done throughout the year. I have found many people lying in the sand, and it has been very spectacular how many pieces of cars we have found have destroyed them in the dunes. "

Marc Solà (@ marcsola34): "Today was a difficult day because I had some problems with the GPS, several waypoints were not validated and I had to do several laps at some points passing several times where the colleagues had crossed, now they will review it. Apart from this I have run very confident almost always alone, enjoying the stage but very alert. Fortunately I only had a scare after refueling in a cut dune that I found suddenly, a jump without consequences. "
    barrier likes this.
  3. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://memotours.eu/rally-tank-nl/

This is the tank.

Rear tank + Air box

Including:
    • Rubber gasket filter box / carburetor
    • Hose clamp 58 and 63 mm
    • Filler cap
    • Vacuum connection
    • Petrol tap
    • Fuel hose 0,3 m
    • Exhaust pipe
    • Rear fender
    • Tail light
    • Air filter box and air filter
    • Fuel cap
    • 3 brackets
    • License plate holder
  4. sick_boy

sick_boy I follow you.

Oddometer:
  5. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Dakar.com report stage 2

Peugeot takes back control and Barreda lays down the law
    Focus

After a short appetiser on Saturday, the competitors faced the full might of the dunes of Ica near Pisco on Sunday. The second stage in Peru was 90% off the track. The 267 km challenge required some serious navigational skills, especially among the car drivers, who for once had to open the road. In the end, the Peugeot drivers capitalised on the tracks of the top 10 to burst back onto the scene after a disappointing opener.

The essentials

Cyril Despres turned the race on its head in Pisco. He drove his Peugeot superbly and navigated the dunes flawlessly to secure his second Dakar stage win in the car category. The victory also catapulted him to the overall lead with a 27-second margin over Stéphane Peterhansel, who finished second on the day and rocketed up the general classification as well. Sébastien Loeb made it a 1-2-3 for the Lions. The motorcycle classification also saw a change of leader, with an amazing Joan Barreda turning on the afterburners in the second half of the stage to defeat his rivals. Adrien Van Beveren, meanwhile, managed to hold his deficit to about three minutes.

Performance of the day

For all his experience in the world of motocross and enduro, Jonathan Barragán is still a rookie at the Dakar. The biker from Madrid is making his debut on a GasGas in the Spanish maker's return to the greatest rally in the world. Barragán, eleventh in Pisco and just three seconds off the pace of 2016 champion Toby Price, is already mixing it with the big boys. He is now the top-placed rookie in the general classification.

A crushing blow

The nightmare scenario came true for Nasser Al-Attiyah in Pisco. The Toyota driver, who had to open the road in a navigation-heavy special after yesterday's victory, steadily lost time to the Peugeot drivers and finished the stage about a quarter of an hour back, although it must be said that his co-driver Matthieu Baumel fell ill after just 15 km.

Stat of the day

Joan Barreda is still chasing an overall Dakar win, but today he proved again that he is one of the fastest bikers the rally has ever seen. The Spaniard claimed his 20th stage in Pisco. The only ones with more stage wins are all multiple-time Dakar winners: Despres and Peterhansel (33), Arcarons (27), Coma (25) and Auriol (24).

Quote of the day

Sébastien Loeb: "I think we posted a decent time and we won't be opening the road tomorrow, so I think it will be all right. We always follow the track, even though we sometimes suspect that it's not the right one. But we stay the course because we don't want to lose it. Our goal is to make it out of Peru in one piece. Failing to find a waypoint can cost you dearly."
  6. Mike_MRS

Mike_MRS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Myway - It sounds like a vacuum issue/blocked breather/ kinked pipe etc. The tap must be switched to the rear is this is possible. I have seen these tanks but not fitted one. what happens when he takes the front cap off? big whoosh of air?
  7. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Has the old messiness "vapor lock" returned to harass fuel delivery once again?
  8. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    More than any other racer, I've heard more than a handful of times watching and listening to SA FB live feeds, Las Dakarianas, asking about Robby Gordon.
    SloDon and sick_boy like this.
  9. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Bottom feeder

Oddometer:
  10. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    RG's always been a local fan's favorite (and something he spent time working at)...

Baja or Dakar
  11. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed Bills tracker isnt working.

It's going to be a long day / night for quite a few bikes and cars. The Snowball has started rolling.
    yardracer likes this.
  12. ericrat

ericrat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is to early to start this?

Go Bill #105!

:clap
    Deadly99 likes this.
  13. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    9 have yet to make it to WP 3 (24, 62, and 92 are out)

.....and 106 made it
  14. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link- nice looking piece of kit!

One comment about those rear tanks, whatever machine they are put on (Yamaha, Honda, Sherco, etc have all had similar designs over the years)- a big bottoming event can make the bike buck hard. If you hit hard enough to get the whole tank (and fuel inside) bouncing up, the bike can crash rear end over front going in a straight line. The bike handles really well with a light front end, right up until it tries to kill you. There is no way to avoid this entirely, it happens on the factory bikes too, but they are longer and more stable (at least, they used to be, I haven't ridden the latest) and the mass is as centralized as it can be.

The most common scenario for straight line crashes was a ditch or hill would be noted in the roadbook with mileage and appropriate danger markings. Slightly before getting to the danger, there would be a smaller ditch or hill that seemed similar by tulip but wasn't actually dangerous enough to be marked. People would go over the small one, mistake it for the big one, and get on it hard... and then it was a yardsale at the real one when they found it. I saw more straight line crashes at Dakar than I ever have anywhere else. Big fuel load + big hits can bite!

Seems like they are running with ~24L of fuel on this conversion. I was curious about that- my observation of the latest FI KTM bikes is that they are almost unbelievably fuel efficient. I've seen 60mpg on trails, and never gotten less than 40, so cool that they can get away with a lighter fuel load. I had 31L, but my bike got more like 25-40mpg than 40-60.
    ssandijss, stokerel, AteamNM and 5 others like this.
  15. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    There's a video up on dakar.com for yesterday's stage.
  16. griesgram999

griesgram999 grmpf

Oddometer:
    I lost my Google-Fu and can't find the withdrawal list.
  17. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Bottom feeder

Oddometer:
  18. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
  19. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    sick_boy likes this.
  20. sick_boy

sick_boy I follow you.