2018 Ducati Scrambler 1100 Review

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by grip-wolrd, Sep 30, 2018.

1. grip-wolrd

grip-wolrd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,
    I'm not sure if this is a thing, but I figure I would write a review for those interested in this bike.

First of all I must mention that this is obviously not really designed to be taken off-road; but I'm sure there are people, like myself, who want to do a bit of Scrambling and give it a go.

The bike tested was the 1100 Scrambler Special edition with the Ducati Safety pack which adds lean sensitive ABS and TC.

Overall:
    Its a fun bike with enough power for the street and normal riding. Its nimble and easy to ride which makes it performing in all types of roads, especially the twisty stuff. It can scramble but maybe not too hard as it's clear not built for it. If you wanna look trendy while having a bike which does actually perform quite well its worth considering. Not suited for long distance driving really; its for hooning about.

Engine:
    I would describe the engine as fine. It has enough power and it has a fairly broad torque range, good from reasonably low rpm. It won't blow your socks of by any means with 85hp but its no way near as sugglish as the 800 version. At very low RPM you'll get the usual chugging from a v-twin Ducati but it clears up at around 2000rpm and then revs smoothly all the way to the red line around 9000rpm.
    There is a small difference between the engine modes, but I just kept it in Active most of the time.
    The exhaust valve keeps things relatively quite during calm riding but allows it to bark a bit during more spirited situations. The sound, although a bit flat, is not bad and the little back fires on run-off are a nice touch. There is quite a lot of character in the sound of the bike.

Handling:
    Overall it's a basic street bike and probably more oriented to city driving than anything, which makes it very easy to ride and quite nimble. The wide bars provide low steering effort and good maneuverability, and it's relatively agile. The handling is very neutral which means that most people will feel comfortable handling.
    The overall easy and agile handling means that it perform well on tight mountains roads and could probably outperform many sport bikes in twisty scenarios, despite it being a biggish bike with 1100cc.
    The Pirelli MT60 RS work very well of the tarmac despite their soft scrambler look and can keep up with most tires on the street; there is no lack of confidence on this tire on the tarmac.

Off-road:
    As mentioned before the bike is not really designed for off-road riding but I tested it out on a few dirt / gravel roads. For simple gravel road riding, with a few bumps, the bike works fine and never felt out of its comfort zone, as would most bikes to be honest. The suspension can soak up reasonable uneven terrain even though it only has 150mm of suspension travel and the comfy seat helps a bit too.
    I wouldn't recommend riding this bike on single track or more rough terrain as I feel like you'd quickly run out of suspension travel and I think the weight of the bike might start being a hindrance.
    The ergonomics do not lend themselves to standing position, so you really have to sit down on this bike.
    The tires performed ok for the gravel roads I was on, which were a mix of loose gravel and hard pack, but the traction control and ABS were working over time.
    The bike does feel very vulnerable though as there is no sort of protection for any of the critical components. The oil cooler, lines and front valve cover are all in direct fire of debris from the front tire. Protection is strongly recommended for those willing to ride more off-road.

Comfort:
    The seat is quite nice as you'd expect from a big bench seat. I rode it for about 4 hours straight and had no major issues.
    The suspension is damped well for street riding and it can handle bumpy roads well too; its not too sporty but obviously not overly soft like a long suspension travel bike, like the Desert Sled for example.
    Obviously with no wind protection of any sort long highway journeys are gonna be tough. I wouldn't really recommend driving this thing on the highway for very long as you are completely exposed.
    The handlebar and footpeg vibrations are very acceptable, actually good for a V-twin, especially with the rubber capped footpegs.

Electronics:
    I guess it seems quite basic in terms of electronics but it does have good features such as the lean angle sensitive ABS and TC. They are going to work fairly well on the tarmac as Bosch usually does a good job but I can't say I really went to the limits of grip to test this out; but on the gravel its easy to see its working.
    The TC has different levels and I should have changed this a bit for the loose stuff as it was interfering quite a lot, but it's not so intuitive on that simple display so I didn't bother with it.
    There's no cruise control, heated grips, quick shifter, etc...

Enjoy some photos and video, and let me know if you have any questions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. grip-wolrd

grip-wolrd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Dave_S

Dave_S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed your review and very nice pictures! I have the Scrambler 1100 Sport and I agree with most all of your points. It probably is the most nimble, fun bike I have ever owned, but not an off-road machine. It is perfect for me in the urban environment that I live in, just enough power and super handling to stay out of the way of all of the crazy cagers around here. I think it is so efficient, it is almost boring. Certainly no race machine, but I am enjoying mine!
    Dchap and bobw like this.
  4. hotballs

hotballs nob

Oddometer:
    Hi Mate
    where was that ride? I just moved to switzerland and would love to ride roads like that. I used to live in Bern years ago. let me know where that is please.
    cheers,
  5. grip-wolrd

grip-wolrd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are a few short dirt roads around Bern. Check out the forest south-east of Muehleberg.
  6. emulzhn

emulzhn free from crutches

Oddometer:
    JUst got my Sport two days ago and absolutely love it... coming off a DRZ400s, and before that a VSTAR 1100... Cruiser type was certainly not for me, too heavy and too boring as it excelled ... well, only for cruising... Then the DRZ came ... which I really enjoyed. I believe that this is really where I learned to ride.. I learned to make tight turns.. balance and really... just good ole fun in the dirt... Can't say that I'm over the dirt ... but maybe a break... I got the SCR1100 because I enjoyed the nimble abilities of the DS.. but hated it's high strung personality when coming home from the dirt... Can't say that I'll visit any single tracks anytime soon with the 1100.. but at least if I see a trail.. or at least a fire road.. the SCR will allow... upright, nimble and fast... agile .... and it sounds awesome...

Attached Files:

bobw and grip-wolrd like this.
  7. D-SportDuck

D-SportDuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Putting the 2018 Ducati Scrambler 1100 on the block.

I'm more into regular dirt bike riding so I wanna sell the Scrambler so I can buy the 2020 KTM 150 XC-W TPI.
    Milage is 3096.00

Asking $9700.00
    IMG_20191123_120237955_HDR.jpg IMG_20191123_120106522_HDR.jpg