2018 - Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route / Death of a KLR650

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by relichunter, Feb 12, 2021.

1. relichunter

relichunter Precariot

Oddometer:

Thanks for taking the time to read this report. Riding alone has its risks for sure. Also sharing memories and stories with someone that was there is amazing. I do what I can to keep the risks at a level I am comfortable with when I am riding a lone or with a friend.

As far as the burning it does feel like every year there are fewer untouched forests.
    bykemike likes this.
  2. relichunter

relichunter Precariot

Oddometer:
    20180825_095601.jpg

Crossing into Canada feels like a major achievement!

20180825_095606.jpg

Goodbye USA. Is that smoke from the forest fires or my bike!

As I ride into Creston I become painfully aware that the KLR is blowing a lot of smoke, more than usual that is. I stop at the Subway restaurant and make my plan - I’m going to head to glacier anyway! After lunch I start the bike and my plan immediately changes. A huge blue cloud of smoke erupts out of the tail pipe. Uh oh. I idle around a corner to find a place to check the oil level. Its low. I fill it up and decide I’ll be lucky to make it home. At the same time I'm grateful the bike made it across the BDR.

Now I’m wondering if the US border guards are going to let me in with such a pollution spewing machine!

20180825_111302.jpg

Back in. If all goes well I’ll be home tomorrow!

The bike does great. It is burning through the oil but it starts easy, stays cool and has enough power for highway speeds. I stop and take a few pictures each time I check the oil.

20180825_144542.jpg
    Things start to get a bit more serious as the bike gets harder to start so I don’t stop anymore. I coast into the Conoco station in Arlee, Mt on fumes. Once filled up the bike struggles to start but it does and I’m off. I really don’t know how long it will keep going. Its starting to get late so I make a plan to stop in Missoula. I get off at the exit with the most hotels and pull into the La Quinta parking lot. Ok they are full. I learn that this is the weekend all the students are coming back to town. All of the rooms near me are booked! I find a room across town and book it. Now to get across town in retuning student traffic. The bike starts but it doesn’t want to stay running so I stay on the throttle at every stop. It’s a 5.5 mile ride in stop and go traffic. By some grace the bike makes it to the grand parking lot of the old super 8 motel. This is the last time I’ll be able to start the bike. Once settled and full of pizza hut pizza I go back to the bike and in a last ditch effort I take the spark plug out. Maybe by some miracle it is fouled. No it actually looks pretty good. I put my spare plug in and it still won’t start. That's it my trip is finished. It turns out I have my pick of Uhaul trucks thanks to the students. The next morning l hike two miles to pick it up and I’m headed home. It won’t be the last time I come home in a Uhaul but it may be the last time I bring home a KLR 650.

20180826_092632.jpg

20180827_072022.jpg

The IDBDR was an awesome adventure. I feel fortunate to have been able to have had this experience.

Beginning odometer 17,611 ending reading 19,503 = 1,892

Would I do it differently? Yes, of course! I would like to explore the side trails and some of the towns along the way more. I would swim in the lakes and rivers more. I might even learn how to fish (as suggested in this thread). Now it is time to get that 2018 ATAS and do it again.

Below is the KLR650's replacement in Southern Utah summer 2020.

Africa Twin.jpg
  3. relichunter

relichunter Precariot

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking the time to read this report. I finally forced myself put it together, two years after the fact, because I am in the early stages of planning another go at it this summer. Reliving the tale has heightened my anticipation for summer far more than I had imagined. Thank you to the adv community for showing the way.
    Retumbo7, GSJOE, pdedse and 16 others like this.
  4. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed reading this! Good luck on your second go at it.
    relichunter likes this.
  5. vt700guy

vt700guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for writing. I enjoyed the read. What did you end up doing with the KLR?
  6. Graybush

Graybush I like turtles.

Oddometer:
    The pictures brought back a lot of good memories of my IDBDR trip. I must have been just a week or so behind you. Reading your report has got me thinking about posting my own RR, also two years later, so I don't forget any of the places or details. Thanks!
    oldwyomingdude and relichunter like this.
  7. BMWs2Dave

BMWs2Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What was wrong with the KLR? I imagine you took it to a mechanic once back home.
  8. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, thanks for a great report! What's your plan for the KLR?
  9. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Pitter patter lets get at’er Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dead at under 20k miles? That’s kinda a surprise.
  10. relichunter

relichunter Precariot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to read and let me know. As soon as I got home I renovated my house and sold it. I dragged the KLR to the next house to rebuild the motor but ended up doing a lot of work on my new house. I found an amazing deal on a new 18 Africa Twin Adventure Sports so I took the KLR to a mechanic who offered to pay what the bike would be worth minus the parts and labor. I jumped on the deal. A month later I saw the bike with a rebuilt engine for sale so someone is out there having new KLR adventures.
  11. relichunter

relichunter Precariot

Oddometer:
    I would love to read your ride report to see how your experience compares.
  12. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fun trip / ride report. Thanks for taking time to take some trail pictures. Wifey and I are planning ID for our next BDR and I'd like to take my Africa Twin (previous BDRs were on my 701) but was worried that it might be a bit much with luggage and wife. From your pics, looks to be a breeze. Think I'll shoot for the 8-9 days though as most of your pictures are places to hang out a while.
  13. relichunter

relichunter Precariot

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip. There are some spots that two up with luggage could be a hand full. Fortunately a lot of them have easy bypasses. Compared to the TAT through the mountains of Colorado or many of the trails I have ridden in Utah the IDBDR is pretty tame. Definitely read other trip reports as it seems I took a lot of pictures of the beautiful landscapes and left out the few challenging spots.
    Todd157k likes this.
  14. RebornRider

RebornRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    relichunter, Awesome RR! You put the IDBDR on my bucket list!! Congrats on the new AT. I started back on motorcycles after a 30 year hiatus, on a '08 KLR. Right out of the box, brand new, it had oil burning issues. Via a bulletin board like this one, Kawi, stated that was "normal". Normal, my ass, was my immediate and correct thought. The Snitz 685 bore and piston kit solved the problem immediately. I think the KLR is a great bike and almost bought another one, but opted for a KTM 390 Adv instead. And congrats on a successful run of the IDBDR. WooHooooo!
    Ride safe.
    Gary
    relichunter likes this.
  15. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your report. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Your story and the guts to take an iffy bike on this was great. I'm glad it worked out for you and loved reading about it. Sometimes, less is more and I think you didn't over write it.
    oldwyomingdude likes this.
  16. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting this together. I had planned on doing a ride report but know how much effort and time they take. I rode the IDBDR this past Sept. (20'). Only was able to do the first half, my riding partner bailed after a very cold wet day riding over the MacGruder Corridor, due to some health issues he was having. Met up with my brother in Missoula and rode up through Glacier, he was on his Harley. Going back this year to do the second half from Lolo north, at a minimum. Hoping to do the whole thing again. Let me know if you want a riding partner, as I am game.
  17. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    I’m hoping to do the IBDR this coming summer.
  18. meemuh

meemuh Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice write-up - great pix - well done!
  19. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like we may have a ride in the making. :kumbaya
    Migolito likes this.
  20. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer: