2018 - Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route / Death of a KLR650

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by relichunter, Feb 12, 2021.

1. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for this ride report, I loved every post. As a former KLR long distance rider I can still hear the funky little exhaust note they make, appreciate the huge fuel range they have, the freedom of touring on a machine that you can lean over and pick up if dropped.

This was an adventure on a "close to the bone" bike. No issues with the overly complex and mind numbingly costly rides that most of us have come to accept.

Thanks again!
    oldwyomingdude and relichunter like this.
  2. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Love these type of photos... very inviting.

[​IMG]

Had my run-in with OR forest fires on my KLR last summer. That smoke is unpleasant.
    relichunter likes this.
  3. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent report; bummer on the KLR. You got to up your bike game though so it worked out!
    relichunter likes this.
  4. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Well, it would have been nice to find out what exactly failed on your ex-KLR, but sounds like you got out of it pretty decently. My '07 has nearly 50k miles on it, runs flawlessly, but I'm wondering if that time is coming around the bend...just put on new tires, chain and sprockets, other maintenance so I'm hopeful.

Good luck with this summer's trip on the AT.
  5. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best guess from the clues he posted is he was sucking dirt into the engine. Progressively worse oil consumption and progressively harder starting and loss of compression seem to corroborate that. I had a traveler stay with us one time who was having similar issues with his first gen KLR and his airbox was basically cracked apart behind the filter allowing raw air to bypass the filter.
    td63 and RebornRider like this.
  6. pdedse

Oddometer:
    I just serviced air filter on my '07 and besides needing a cleaning the area looked good, but now I'll look closer.
  7. RebornRider

RebornRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Makes sense to me. Still, y'know, the issues with the bike, while I'm sure caused much angst to our accomplished compatriot, did make a very interesting facet to this report. Yep. Again, GREAT ride report. Very engaging, entertaining, and educational. Just the right mix of great photos and video with the text. And, despite the trip back in a truck, a happy ending!
    Ride safe all.
    Gary
    oldwyomingdude likes this.
  8. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report! Ironically, after nearly 40 years up here, and having actually sorta grown tired of endless forest roads, I always crave a trip to Utah. :) ...tho not in late summer. :)
    relichunter and HardWorkingDog like this.
  9. relichunter

relichunter Precariot

Oddometer:
    I think you are exactly right about the dirt getting in the engine. The filter was clogged and may have folded a bit letting air in under the seal. This would explain why it ran so poorly then ran fine for a while. I don't think this trip was the sole culprit but it certainly put the nail in the coffin.
    oldwyomingdude likes this.
  10. oldwyomingdude

oldwyomingdude Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thoroughly enjoyed your write up! I’ve owned two KLR’s and reading this made me miss them...a bit, anyway. Thanks for posting. Well done.
    relichunter likes this.