2018 KTM Duke 790 first ride

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Kona990, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Kona990

Kona990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. burgerking

burgerking echt bezopen

Oddometer:
    Sounds promising...but that prototype looks crap.
  3. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Around 9000eu? This is a steal!
  4. Shep

Shep Vagabond

Oddometer:
    I have a 690 and a 1290. I told my wife about this one and she said, "What, are you going to buy the entire model line?" Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that!
  5. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    <closes linked article, walks away slowly from thread>

KTM: Priced for menopausal men; marketed for teens.
  6. mojave

mojave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Inyokern - middle of nowhere, center of everything
    Yeah Baby Yeah! KTM IS ON IT. Like a cross of my Multistrada 2V and Street Triple only BETTER!!!!!

I'm WAY past menopausal, if you know what I mean. KTM talks about this being an "intermediate" bike in their chain. To me it's TERMINAL.
    Dragonflylily, FJ Fun and KMC1 like this.
  7. aerone

aerone Clemson Cafe' Racer

Oddometer:
    Don't get too excited. KTM says they wont be here until 2019.
  8. Omarius

Omarius Long timer

Oddometer:
    2020 if you don't want to be KTM's beta tester.
    Tarmac Kid, aerone and Vectored2adv like this.
  9. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    From the article: "It has essentially fueled KTM’s growth to be Europe’s No.1 on-road, to go alongside its undisputed world crown as the king of the off-road sector."

No. 1 by what metric?
  10. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Biggest selling Euro brand since 2015 apparently. But I think that includes all of the offroad bikes and sales in India too.

Thanks for posting the link, Kona. The proto shown in Milan looks a lot more tasty from a styling PoV. Still...makes me wonder why they didn't just use the new 1090 motor from the Adventure R in the SDR frame as a parts-bin special, at least in the interim until the 790 platform is ready for market. Would fill the gap nicely between the 690 and the insanity that is the Superduke. Maybe even a 1090 GT model. I reckon Honda would kick some too if they engineered a naked 17" version of their very successful AT.

I'm very happy with my 690 Duke but can't see it being worthwhile jumping to a 790 in a few years. My take is that the 790 will completely replace the 690 in the Duke lineup mainly due to emission regs, as well as the glaring need for a midweight parallel twin adv platform. As always, retail pricing will be interesting with the need to recover over three years' worth of R&D (okay, most of the electronics and unsprung parts are pre existing, just need recalibrating). Between $15-20,000 must be the ballpark judging by the Euro 9k quote. KTM hasn't moved too many 690s at the lower end of that range but if it's nearer to $20k here (Oz), then most will be tempted towards the SDR for only a few g more. Which would still leave a big price gap between the 390 Duke at roughly half that (about 8k on road). Glad I've got one of the last of the true thumpers!
  11. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    Really curious about this bike - thanks for posting the link.
  12. PaveMint

PaveMint precious bodily fluids

Oddometer:
    Screw the adventure version. :lol3

Looks awesome (as far as protos go). Plenty of juice, fairly light weight, and I’m guessing ergos similar to the Duke.

Will probably be my next bike.

They couldn't simply drop that motor in--it would be a dog. They would have to rework it to SuperDuke specs--new pistons, etc. And it would end up being pretty heavy being an LC8 (compared to a parallel twin) so I really don't see an advantage. Better to do it right the first time, as opposed to the second time. They do seem to be learning.

Sales. They have been outselling BMW since 2015.

Dakar Dan likes this.
  13. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't believe the journalists estimate of 150 kg. That is 330 lbs., which is lighter than a 690 Duke-R. Somehow, I don't think so.

Fitting between a Monster and a Street-Triple R sounds about right. But I don't see replacing the Thumpers' agility, and I really want a Vitpilen 701. Since KTM won't import the Duke-R, and Husky has a terrible record of bringing any of their road bikes to the USA, I'm not holding my breath for either the Vitpilen 701 or the "Club-racer" version of the 790. I still have hope, but I'm betting on the need to customize a STR-765 to meet my needs in the USA.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  14. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Must be getting old. I read about the rightness of this motor and start thinking about cutting plates to fit it in a Featherbed frame.
    Also , I'd be interested in Sir Alan's opinion of Yamaha's updated version of his beloved Trixie , the FZ07.
  15. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ironically we only get the 690R here this year, the base 690 Duke appears to have been dropped for 2017. I have my suspicions that they may all be left over 2016 models, though.
  16. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    "We were aware that our existing KTM customers would be coming to the bike from a single-cylinder model, so we wanted to make it look not so different to what they were already riding. Then to go with our Ready to Race philosophy we wanted to establish a visual link with our Motocross bikes, so all of this together meant that the parallel-twin concept won out. "

:csm

"The fact that it also centralises the mass of the engine, which allowed us to design a more compact, easier-handling motorcycle, was also a key factor.”

:happay
    KMC1 likes this.
  17. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:

Agreed. There are two counter balance stabilizers, so I'd image the bike is about 400lbs-425lbs with ABS. Wet.
    And that is very optimistic.

As long as the ADV bike is 50lbs+ lighter than the 1090 R, and the seat height is 2" lower than the 1090, grand slam.
    Hopefully, about 75lbs lighter which would be great!

With a P. Twin set up, she should offer a low seat height which will open up a lot more potintial buyers, while not sacrificing travel.
    This bike is way way way over due.
    :dirtdog
  18. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Selfishly I question the logic of developing and releasing an 800cc duke prior to the 800cc adventure. A mid sized light weight KTM adventure bike is what people have been clamoring for... for years. That bike could be a revolution. A street Duke 800cc is a tweener. I doubt there will be any lines forming at dealers for that. And leave it to Kiska to ugly it out with a mantis beak and flower petal radiator shrouds.

A few suggestions to anyone out there at KTM if you're wisely listening about an 800cc Adventure.

Get your testing done.

Hire Acerbis to tone down the Kiska looks and keep it real, giving it Rally Replica styling. Forget about the funky plastic onion skin tank wrapping like the 1090/1190/1290 Adventure. Use your 450 Rally as a style inspiration.

Start blending carbon fiber and titanium into the bike to lower the weight... Come on!!! This is 2018 already. You can use cf in a subframe... And blend it into a strut of your trellis.

Don't make this seat height ridiculously tall.

Battery under seat. VRR behind side panel away from exhaust.

Large single front disk.

Firm suspension for 185 lb. rider.

Think mini 950 Adventure!!!

NAIL IT!!!
    Hatori, Dakar Dan, roma258 and 2 others like this.
  19. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Totally agree.

Right now, they're plenty of good naked and sporty bikes out there.

Look!
    There goes one now!

[​IMG]
    2018 $7,199.

So make the dual sport/ADV TOURING version, already KTM!
    mjr and DesertSurfer like this.
  20. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    ^^^^
    Exactly. Yamaha MT09 already. KTM needs to stick with their specialty. 800cc Adventure can be a big hit. 800cc Duke is just novelty.
    OConnor, gobux and The_Precious_Juice like this.