2018+ KTM Fuel Injected 2-Stroke - The 250 & 300 XC-W TPI Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mtntrails, Mar 23, 2017.

1. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short...

Oddometer:
    http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/ktm-debuts-fuel-injection-two-stroke-motorcycles/#more-131663

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/ktm-announces-fuel-injected-two-stroke-engine-for-2018.html

DI two stroke technology has been baked in to snowmobile and marine outboard markets for many years with good success. Only a handful of motorcycles from small manufacturers have adopted DI or FI two stroke technology.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the progression of these new KTMs. All of the lightness and goodness of a two stroke KTM with no pre-mixing fuel, no re-jetting for altitude and presumably clean emissions and significantly better fuel economy.

So, could this be the beginning of a 2-stroke revolution? Sounds like the Euro models will be street legal (?) and meet strict Euro emissions standards.
    PlowHand and Scooby1 like this.
  2. Scooby1

Scooby1 One Life Live It

Oddometer:
    Recon they gonna be the bomb . Been tested in all the hard enduro races last year and did very well .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:

According to video above they're using TPI (Transfer Port Injection) and premixing oil prior to this. It is a glorified SFI of '80, an electronic carburetor. There's a snowball chance in hell this could pass EPA street regs, with oil burn you cannot fit catalytic converter.

We will only get a 250cc 300cc will stay carb'ed.

The only advantage the fuel consumption will improve, so will cold starts and altitude fueling.
    cal08, Tessier and Scooby1 like this.
  4. Scooby1

Scooby1 One Life Live It

Oddometer:
    I'll be ordering a 300 exc when they are available in Australia .
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aprillia had DFI on 50cc scoots back almost 2 decades ago, I was hoping we will see some street legal bikes with DFI and oil separation by now. TPI is pathetic though it is a step in right direction.
  6. mtntrails

Oddometer:
    Yes, but two decades ago they did not have electronics and processing technology to make it all work. A good example is the Bimota V-Due. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimota_V_Due )

I'm pretty sure that KTM has worked most of the bugs and gremlins out. This is a pretty big step that a lot of folks, including me have been waiting for.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they couldn't pass Euro2 on NOx or it was too expensive. Silly, they should have hired Audi engineers.
  8. mtntrails

Oddometer:
    Now, that's funny!
  9. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM doesn't care about passing EPA rules for street legal vehicles. All they want to do is meet Euro4 in Europe and CARB Green Sticker rules here to keep selling offroad race bikes.

So all they are trying to do here is clean up their best selling offroad weapons enough to keep selling them with engine architecture as close to what they have now as possible.

These are already very highly evolved engines. They don't want to dick around with that architecture anymore than necessary because riders like them so much as they are now.
    N8, retroone and Bitingdog like this.
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    +1
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it is a quick fix to pass emissions.
  12. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interestingly, Sherco says they have fuel injection ready to go and tested, but won't use it at this point as their carbed bikes pass euro 4 currently.
    VxZeroKnots and Bitingdog like this.
  13. craigr652

craigr652 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "the two-strokes return better fuel efficiency than the current race-winning 350 EXC-F four-stroke"
    That could be make it a great dualsport bike for those in plate friendly states
    Eldon likes this.
  14. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    If FI = better fuel economy at little to no cost of engine longevity, I say bring it on.

Was really hoping to hold out for a FI 2-stoke but just couldn't do the XR400 thing any longer.
  15. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The most aggravating thing about using my plated 200 as a dual sport (aside from coming on the pipe right at 55mph :lol3) was having to carry oil.

So, yes, better fuel economy and not mixing oil will make them better dual sports for those of us not living under VIN restrictions.
  16. mtntrails

Oddometer:
    There's another article in the latest Cycle News. Nothing new other than KTM announcing the international press launch being held on May 15.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much more are they charging?
  18. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    In 1984 Yamaha had a catalyst on the RZ350.

In the vid the guys talks about possible oil pump problems. In my 40 years of riding and working on snowmobiles I have never had one oil pump issue or problem.
    Scooby1 likes this.
  19. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    Those were the old gear driven pumps. Bullit proof. My old 78 TS250 is still going strong. Now, throw a circuit board in the mix and see what happens.
    :beer
    Bitingdog likes this.
  20. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Many of the new sleds are now running electric pumps along with DFI etc etc.
    enduro16 and Scooby1 like this.