2018 KTM Rally

Discussion in 'Australia' started by poppy, Oct 24, 2017.

1. poppy

poppy Slow and Steady

Oddometer:
  2. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. In. May even get rego on the SE for that one.

Pity your selling the 690..
    micmen and poppy like this.
  3. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    How getting to the start Richo? Riding?

A big commitment holiday wise.

The price is creeping up. It would want to be good.

The time involved is bit of a problem.
  4. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    What's this about selling the 690?
  5. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll truck mine to Darwin. Stay for Finke at the end then ride home via Oodnadatta tk and Flinders Ranges and Dengali, border track Hattah etc
  6. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    I wasn't that bigger fan of last year's route. Still some good stuff in there, but way to much black top.
    Was actually mentioned to me by one of the sweeps and relative locals and will known Rallye personality that he did not think enough time was put into the course last year.
    Hope 2018 does not suffer that fate, not at that price anyway.
  7. Marsyandme

Marsyandme Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still picking myself up off the floor at the $2500 they think we ride BMW's or something?
    ktmgeoff, DOT, RAR and 1 other person like this.
  8. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Price includes matching KTM swag and camp chair/gear hence the price which is a shame as most have their own tried and tested camp gear.
    I would personally prefer to use my own gear but I can understand that they want the pictures of all the KTM swags lined up in the outback as it will look cool and is in-keeping with the strong branding with KTM.
  9. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Won't look that good with my arse sticking out of it Andy.
    DRjoe, AusGoFar and El Ponkin like this.
  10. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also includes all ( or most) meals and around 50% of the required fuel as much of the course is across Colin Ross' private cattle stations and adjoining properties.

That said I already have a QS swag, a king single and a biker swag.. hardly need another. And I've got about 10 camping chairs....
  11. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    And a chopper medivac and bike recovery.
  12. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    I will consider the rally. But it is a lot of money and holiday time to do it.
    I don't think when people were ticking the "I would pay more" box in the survey, I was not one of them, they were thinking 2 1/2 times as much.
    Marsyandme likes this.
  13. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    for those that are able to get past the initial shock of cost, time, and logistics I'd say they are likely up for an adventure of a lifetime that most couldn't get to do without this type of event.

Looks like a fantastic ride in that promo
    Robags, 0405canvet and Fearless Whetu like this.
  14. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    I'm keen to go, and we used Bikes Only transport at BMW. I think 750 per bike when they will have a hundred or so is pretty steep. $2500 by 200 riders is half a mil. I have to get into the bike tour business haha !

That all said, I think it's worth it and the land it goes through will be breathtaking. I will ship my bike to Darwin and ride home from Uluru, maybe catch up with a friend who is going to be in Dalhousie around the same time.

Having never done one before, when they say GPS is an iphone with Hema maps acceptable ? Or does it mean a proper GPS ?
    ToriMish likes this.
  15. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard the guys and girl talk about this after the first reccie ride. You will be going to places probably never seen by non natives! Epic doesn't even come close to describing this ride! I may be going on another reccie next week so will get to see some of the locations. Finke is also included?
    Fearless Whetu likes this.
  16. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that Finke Entry and "KTM special treatment" is included. I may be wrong. I have heard the same thing about the land.
  17. bigstim179

bigstim179 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To put the price in to a bit of perspective, BMW did a safari from Darwin to Cairns in 2014. It was only a 5 day ride. Most, but not all meals, were included. Didn't include much fuel (there was 1 top up point provided). Got a BMW swag. So it was a similar ride, but 2 less days and less things provided. It was about $6K from memory.

I think people underestimate just how much it costs to put rides on like this in remote places in Australia, when taking all the support provided in to account.
  18. Marsyandme

Marsyandme Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this will be an amazing experience I've spent plenty of time in the Outback just in my 4wd not on my bike. In rough figures even if you ship your bike to Darwin to save some time and then ride all the way home the KTM part of this trip will set you back 4-5k with flights & transport included. For the average punter this is big bucks.

I just think if they didn't include half the crap that most adventure riders would have anyway the could have shaved $500 off the price. I prefer using my tried and tested camp gear and the last thing I want is a swag and chair to lug all the way home....
  19. bigstim179

bigstim179 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Completely agree. The BMW ride was $6K entry, that didn't include getting you or your bike there either. It definitely is big bucks, but I also don't think it's a case of KTM/Maschine trying to price gouge based on the previous success of the first few Rallyes. It's more expensive because it's way more remote. Shit just costs more.

Agreed on the camping gear too. They should realise that most adv riders already have that, and only have it as an additional extra if you wanted it. I gave my BMW swag to some homeless "local" in Cairns, as I couldn't be bothered carting it home when I already have one.
    bigborett and Marsyandme like this.
  20. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    This thread (ride) will go through the typical human change management model.
    Shock is over, now we move to denial, where you try and deflect evey aspect you can to make it seem better, dont worry you'll get through to decision before you know it and look back wondering what all the fuss was about :D

2740845D-C403-481D-BEB1-92CF8ADE7897.jpeg