2018 KTM Rally

Discussion in 'Australia' started by poppy, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Grog

Grog Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    Like the idea for carrying a tow rope, the 990's looking good mate, being used!!!

Greg
  2. runt boy

runt boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah cheers Greg, the rope isnt my idea got that off a mate. Quite a few die hard 990 owners there to that were very staunch about how the 990 was just about superior in every way to the new generation bikes & in some ways they may have a point, but mostly it was just pure parochialism I think :lol3...at any rate, it made for some great conversations over a few beers.
  3. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Who threw the cloak of silence over this event? It must be the most non-discussed group ride I've witnessed... have the lawyers been in touch?
    Dukehunt likes this.
  4. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    AUSSIEADV, Wodger63, Mouse and 2 others like this.
  5. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe all the garbage that was spewed out in this thread by people who weren't on the ride has discouraged the people who were on the ride from sharing there experiences.
    mytmav, runt boy, Russ and 4 others like this.
  6. striped tomato

striped tomato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seemed like everyone knew everything anyway...
    mytmav and OzRider64 like this.
  7. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Bit simplistic, joe.

I also don't think I've ever heard anyone not relate about how good an event was where it was merited. Or not. Like klaus' thread perhaps.

Should you refer to what I posted given I called a cluster fuck in progress then I only drew what seemed logical conclusions from what we knew about the event as it transpired.

Did I or did I not basically predict that the event was about to unfold cause they appeared to have little control over it? I reckon I got my call pretty damned right in hindsight, seems the participants got spoken to, sounds a bit like the ride got dumbed down and apparently near 20% of the field seem to have "left" the ride.

Did they get pushed? Did they choose to leave? We do not know, either scenario seems plausible, which scenario makes a considerable difference to interpreting the ride.

Success? No, not by my thinking, in fact anything but. Convince me otherwise please?

Were you on the ride joe? I like to understand and learn, it's hard to learn anything from this cause nobody on any side of the fence is speaking....

Thus the only thing clear about this event is that everyone seems stunned into silence or scenarios more ominous than that as per my recent post.

In this connected world that silence is mystifying...
  8. striped tomato

Oddometer:
    As someone who attended, I judge it a success. I’ll keep talking to my friends about it, and leave you to fill in the masses with the gospel truth from the cheap seats.

CU in the NT brother
    Dick0, DRjoe, mytmav and 2 others like this.
  9. waldecker

waldecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can support that - although I could be considered biased since I was wearing a blue shirt during the event.
    On the other hand I happened to have quite a bit of inside info on the publicly discussed issues....
    striped tomato likes this.
  10. dunc

dunc Hodophile - Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
  11. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    What would you like to know?? A few riders have posted they had a great time. I have only heard positives.
    Not a successful Rallye??
  12. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
  13. runt boy

runt boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To those inmates that WERNT present at the 2018 KTM Rally, but love pouring shit upon it, please accept our heartfelt endorsement for your expeditious membership to the following exclusive advrider club.

[​IMG]

Your sincerely,
    those that were present & enjoyed their time.
  14. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    To Mouse and others not fortunate enough to have been on this ride.
    This Outback Run has been in the works for five years. Always designed as a four part adventure. First to get yourself and a motorcycle to Maryfield Station, then ride, over seven days, thru Private Stations, National Parks and Remote Outback Roads to Alice. This involved relying on the resourcefulness of the NT people and the help of Austrian, Irish, American, Canadian, Italian and others to keep the bikes and riders going. Each night having to get your own dinner from the KTM kitchen container, mingle with Jeff, Colin and other CEO,s from Australian companies as well as Footy legends, riders Chris Birch and Dan Milner but also a few riders fighting terminal diseases, then sit around camp fires, with a beer or other drink, on your excellent camp chair, provided by KTM. Then wash your own dishes, shower at the purpose built trailer hauled all the way by the Northstar Pastoral crew and finally crawl into the KTM provided swags (and good quality sleeping bag) with your name on it.
    Arriving at Alice for part three of your Adventure, the Finke Desert Race. Many of the Rallye riders were seen with the numbers still on their bikes and wearing the excellent Outback shirts in orange or blue because they were proud to have been on the Rallye. A lot of riders then rode home. If you weren’t on this ride you may never understand how special it was, so maybe that’s why only a few riders have commented.
  15. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    These posts are a bit defensive and unnecessary

Not hard to see the point Mouse was making

There were stories in the press about the dust and accidents, and questions about the event organisation - Richo and mates seem then to have left - others also? - why was that?

And on completion of what is obviously a huge ride, maybe two or three people pipe up - half a dozen pics

Big contrast to the previous KTM Rallies - so people are interested to know more - understandable, and not necessarily negative

If it went well then that's great - more strength to your arm - but why the secrecy?
  16. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    I was on the first two rallies and couldn't go on this one due to a rebuild unfortunately.
    I would certainly like to hear stories and see pics so that I can live vicariously through others. Lol
    Come on guys open up.
    Mouse likes this.
  17. striped tomato

Oddometer:
    I think the presented logical conclusions it was not a success and generally a cluster fuck warranted some defensiveness. There is a link to several hundred photos above.

I just had 2 weeks off work and away from family and friends so my priority is not writing long reports here. I put forward a brief post and tried to add some 20+ pics only to be limited to a maximum of 4 pics to the post. I have some photos on insta if people want to look thru them https://www.instagram.com/striped.tomato/ or search insta or Facebook for #outbackrun or #ktmrallye18 for pics and stories from various people who were there
  18. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Some great pics in there Steve.
    The blue strap was a good idea in a sea of orange.
    Thanks
  19. OzRider64

OzRider64 Friggen slow Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    With the event coming to Tassie next year, bull dust won’t be a problem.
    I wonder how many bikes will disappear in the quicksand on the West Coast beaches.:hide
  20. poppy

poppy Slow and Steady

Oddometer:

Great stuff ST. Top pics as usual. Love the one covered in dust and still smiling, pic says alot without actually saying anything.