2018 Off Centre Rally OCR - Mt Dare South Australia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sitdownman, Aug 17, 2018.

1. sitdownman

sitdownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Photo Link
    https://sitdownman.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/OCR-Mt-Dare-2018

This year the destination for the Off Centre Rally (OCR) was Mt Dare in South Australia. Once again I had followed the discussions in ADV Rider and was looking to team up with the guys from FNQ who I had ridden with before. As usual plans were made and peoples input into the planning was considered with various options left open to be made on the day. Like all good plans there was a great deal of flexibility and suffice to say this was needed from day 1.

Sunday 5/8/18 177 kms Opening Odometer 3169
    I had arranged to meet the FNQ riders Phil (BMW GS1200) and Rex (Husky Terra 650) in Winton before heading out to Bladensburg NP for a scenic 40 kms loop to Scammy Gorge and camping at the Bough Shed Water Hole. Arriving at the Winton BP I found it was shut as they had no fuel pumps working save for diesel which could still be accessed through the BP card machine. I refuelled at the Tropic on the entrance to town and returned to the BP to wait. It wasn’t long before Phil and Rex arrived with Rex sporting a flat tyre which he had ridden the last ? kms in to Winton :doh. The tyre was completely shagged so there was no use going any further on it.
    [​IMG]
    Looking for options for a replacement tyre on a Sunday afternoon in Winton I utilised a little bit of “Local knowledge” and obtained the numbers for the new owners for Central Motors and Rex left messages on their respective mobiles explaining our situation. When a local lady pulled up Rex asked if she could suggest anything further and in no time she had been in contact with the AJ and Peter (from Central Motors) and advised that they were out playing golf and would be available after 4.30. :clap

With nothing more to it we rode around to the local park where Eamonn (KLR650) and Denis (KTM950) were also waiting having done a loop of NQ in the preceding week before heading down and joining up with us. They had also left behind Dylan on a Beta to try and catch up with Paul at Mt Isa for some bracing of the rear sub frame on his bike.

At 4.30 we rode around to Central Motors and soon had the wheel and tyre off the Husky. Peter form Central Motors turned up and a new tyre was purchased and fitted to the Husky. It was at this stage Phil noticed that the dive shaft oil seal on his BMW was leaking oil:( .
    [​IMG]
    With a new oil seal and bearing on hand Phil decided that he would have a closer look at his oil leak in the morning and enquired if he could utilise the workshop. Peter said that would be fine so with nothing more to be done for the day we found a site at the nearby park and set up camp for the night and wandered over to the Tatts Hotel for a beer :beer and feed.

Monday 6/8/18 352 kms
    Phil was up bright and early and while the rest of us packed up he pushed his bike over the road and set about dismantling his drive shaft in the workshop. Peter who was on hand was keen for a chat and we relived some of the “old days” when we used to race around the area as young fellas. Peter had recently got himself an XLV750 in good condition and was looking at taking it across the Simpson later this year. The truth be known I think he would have liked to join us on the ride. :ricky

By the time we were ready to leave it was around 11.00am so the Scrammy Gorge loop was off the table as we made our way through Bladensburg and the “Route of the River Gums”. We stopped at Bough Shed Hole camping area where we had intended to camp as well as Logan Falls which were dry as we continued on towards Jundah and Windorah which was to be our destination for the day.

On the way we passed through “Opalton” - It is one of the largest opal fields in Queensland and is known for the quality of opal mined. It is believed that opal was first discovered by George Cragg, a stockman from Warrnambool Station, in 1888, and the first mine was worked in 1894. At one time, Opalton was a bustling township and there were more than 600 men working the opal field, around the turn of the 20th century. Since that time, the population has dwindled to approximately 25 today. In 1899, the largest piece of pipe opal ever recorded was discovered at Opalton – it was over 10 feet (3m) long and rumoured to be as thick as a man’s leg!

[​IMG]
    As we approached the halfway mark Eamonn who had been in front with Denis was pulled over to the side of the road and was in the process of removing the tank etc to try and determine what had caused his KLR to suddenly stop :confused . Finding the plug slightly loose we thought that the problem may have been found and once the tank was refitted the bike fire back into life. All was good!!! :happay
    [​IMG]
    No it wasn’t ……. as a further 20 kms down the road the same thing happened. :dunnoThis time we pulled everything off and even dismantled the carby finding a little bit of gunk that perhaps could have been blocking a jet as it floated around. Problem solved!!! so refitted everything and reloaded the bike. One again the bike fired up however this time the bike didn’t get much more than a km :scratch, so Phil and the BMW were pressed into service as a towing vehicle and towed the bike to Mayne River where we had camped previously.

It was here that we continued to try and isolate the problem and considered other available options including having my son come out with a trailer to pick up Eamonn and the bike. At one point the enquiry was made “have we tried turning the fuel tap to reserve as one of the options?” :fpalm After doing this a short run up the road confirmed this seemed to be the solution :lol3 . Not knowing for sure we if this in deed was the fix we decided to try and make our way to Stonehenge as it would be a shorter distance for any recovery effort should it still be needed.

During all this Denis had gone on ahead, oblivious to the fact that we had been delayed. At one point Phil had also got 20kms in front before realising we were not behind so clocked up an extra 60kms which meant he would be struggling for fuel even to reach Stonehenge :eek7. This together with Eamonn running out and borrowing some from my KLX saw Rex push on ahead to get some fuel and bring back – just in case. Rex found a property (Warbreccan) where he purchased 10 lts and was on his way back when Eamonn and I caught him at the turnoff. Topping up Eamonns KLR Rex headed back to find Phil who we later found out had stopped to get some warmer clothes on as night had fallen and it was quite cold.

Eamonn and I rode on through the darkness :yikes and around 7.00pm pulled in to the @Stonehenge Hotel where we were welcomed by Tony the owner. Over a beer we enquired about accommodation and gratefully accepted single rooms for $50. Whilst having our meal we explained our ride to date including discovering a crack in the main backbone of the KLR :eek2.
    [​IMG]
    As luck would have it Tony said that there was a qualified boilermaker right here at the bar and introduced us. Will was his name and he said that he would be happy to - provided it was OK with his boss. In a quirk of fate Will also owned a KLR 650 (with a 685 kit) and was keen to hear of our trip etc. :clap
    At around 8.00pm the sound of bikes caught our attention – Rex and Phil had braved the dark :yikesand cold and had kept riding after we had assumed that they would have stopped and camped for the night. Tony kindly extended the kitchen hours to ensure that they got a meal.

Tuesday 7/8/18 427 kms
    The next morning Eamonn and I headed out to the crushing plant to catch up with the owner and ask if it was OK for Will to weld up the KLR frame. Champion by name and champion by nature as Dougal Champion (the owner) gave us the go ahead :lol3. Once again the KLR was stripped down and Will set about repairing the crack - grinding it out, welding it and then welding a sleeve over the top even applying some black primer to complete the finished job!! :clap.
    [​IMG]
    Eamonn paid Will and left a carton of his favourite beer at the Hotel as thanks as we refuelled and continued our journey. The destination tonight was Betoota as we had again lost 3 hours of riding time and would not get to Birdsville. We passed through Jundah and refuelled at Windorah where we also had a late lunch. At the turnoff to Birdsville Eamonn and Phil went left whilst Rex and I went right to take in the back road into Betoota where we would meet up. Unfortunately we were too early for the Pubs grand grand reopening so set up camp about a km behind the pub on the banks of Browns Creek.
    [​IMG]
    Eamonn and Phil had found a good spot and that night we ate from our rations and sat round the fire enjoying a drop of port to ward off the cold.

Wednesday 8/8/18 472 kms
    On the way to Birdsville we kept an eye out for Kezzas shoe that he lost in 2016 but alas didn’t see it :lol2. Refuelling at Birdsville we had breakkie at the Bakery before we continued down the famous “Birdsville Track” crossing the border into South Australia.
    [​IMG]
    Along the way we came across Dylan and the Beta in the process of being loaded into the back of a land cruiser ute. It appeared that the cush drive sprocket had literally fell to pieces :beccaas the rubber cushion had completely disintegrated. At Mungarennie I arrived first, refuelled and not wishing to set up camp in the dirt checked the prices of a twin room which at $90 seemed reasonable. Eamonn arrived next and agreed with me on the no camping idea so agreed to share the room so we had a beer and waited for the other two to arrive. After a couple of beers and no sign of the others we unpacked, checked into our room, showered and changed.

Still no sign of the others so we weighed up the options.
    1. If they had a mechanical problem was there anything that we could do :dunno ??? No
    2. If one of them had had an off :muuttwas there anything that we could do :dunno??? No

3. Have another beer :beerconfident in the knowledge that they were both experienced riders and were completely self-sufficient so could camp by the side of the road if they had to. Yes!!
    Whilst the sight of other riders along the track does not usually surprise me I must say I was surprised to see a group of three Harleys (yes Harleys) and a Transalp in the rooms alongside us having ridden up from Maree that day and making their way North to Birdsville:eek2 .

As further travellers turned up from Birdsville we queried a bus driver on the whereabouts of our missing duo. He confirmed that he has passed them and another vehicle had stopped about 30kms back and that he had received the thumbs up signal :thumb that all was OK . Reassured that they were OK we retired to the bar for another beer. Just before last light the sound of motorbikes :ricky was heard and lo and behold Rex and then Phil arrived scorning the idea of a room and setting up camp in the dirt.

Over dinner that night we learnt that Phil had punctured a rear tubeless tyre and the two plugs that he had tried had failed :( so they had bummed another plug form a passing 4wd which finally did the job.

Thursday 9/8/18 613 Kms
    After Phil borrowed a compressor from a travelling worker to “pop” the bead on the rear tyre it was off towards Maree. Eamonn and I were in the lead when we came upon a couple of grey nomads having tyre troubles of their own on their caravan. We pulled over and lent them a hand for which they were grateful as some of the nuts were quite difficult to remove and had to be fought right to the end of the threads which were strangely quite long.

With our good deed done we continued on to Maree where we finally caught up with Denis as well as a number of other riders also on their way to Mt Dare. One such group had turned around not far from Maree stating that the road conditions were too bad and they were going to go the long way around!! :loco. A few of the 4wders also warned us that the” Oodnadatta track was terrible”.

Whilst waiting at Maree I took the opportunity to view some of the local history across from the roadhouse. Leaving Maree I stopped for a photo at the start of the Oodnadatta Track
    [​IMG]
    as well as some of the old railway sidings where you could see reminders of the past including the overhead water tanks and stone buildings. As you look ahead in the distance your eyes are automatically drawn to Plane Henge part of the Mutonia Sculpture Park.
    [​IMG]
    This must stop and experience destination, allows the traveller and visitors to interact with these bigger than life pieces of art. From your entry through 'Kombi Gate' (a classic symbol of outback travel over the years), there is 'Plane Henge', who with the help of about 50 people and a cheer leader (the person with the loudest voice), were raised to their current position.

Plane Henge was followed by Dream Catcher, Spinning Car and Time Tree and other pieces. On the horizon you can see the 'Dingo'. The original concept was 'Dottie the Dingo', but since then the locals have dubbed it the 'Big Dog'. The dogs body is an old water tank from the days of the steam train, and its head is the classic Chrysler.

Located in Alberrie Creek, once an railway siding for the Old Ghan line, this place would have disappeared off the map, if it wasn't for the wonderful talent of Robin 'Mutoid' Cooke, a former mechanic from Victoria. Each year he makes the trek out to the park to create another work of art from recycled material. In his own words, 'once there is no more waste he will be out of a job.

Unfortunately the dogs head must have come off as it simply looked like an old water tank when I went past.

Further up the road we stopped to view Lake Eyre South which was dry but you could see the salt cyrstals glistening in the sun as far as you could see.
    [​IMG]
    Whilst we stopped at the entrance to Coward Springs we did not go in to enjoy the natural spa as time was getting away from us and we were planning on reaching Oodnadatta that night.

We refuelled at William Creek and left Phil and Rex behind to explore some more of the history planning to meet up again at the Algebuchina Bridge.

The Algebuckina Bridge is a Victorian era railway bridge south-east of Oodnadatta, on the Central Australian Railway in South Australia, and opened in January 1892.It was the longest bridge in South Australia until construction of the Seaford suburban rail line across the Onkaparinga River south of Adelaide in 2014. Of lattice steel construction, it comprises 19 spans each 100 feet (30 m) long. It was strengthened in 1926 to allow it to carry heavier trains. It was built by a team of around 350 men, working in extreme desert heat.Several graves are nearby, and one of them, David Saunders, died in January 1890 from “heart disease accelerated by heat apoplexy.”

The bridge crosses the floodplain of the Neales River, which is prone to seasonal flooding, and replaced a surface-level railway which was frequently washed away. After a severe flood in 1974, which almost reached the bridge decks, the line was closed in 1981 and a new route built 100 miles further west.

The bridge is listed on the now-defunct Register of the National Estate and the South Australian Heritage Register.

At the bridge I took a number of photos from on top, below and from both sides and with no sign of Rex and Phil decided to push on to Oodnadatta before it got dark.
    [​IMG]
    Riding into the setting sun was a nightmare and I almost came off after running off the road. I refuelled at the famous Pink Roadhouse
    [​IMG]
    and found the caravan park behind the roadhouse where Denis and Eamonn had already set up along with around 60 other riders all heading to the OCR. When Phil and Rex failed to show up before dark we assumed that they had stopped at the Algebuchina Bridge which was where we had planned to camp in our original itinerary. Most of the riders headed to the local Transcontinental Hotel which provided a good feed and cold ale :beeras well as a great atmosphere under the new management team who were surprised by the numbers of bikes coming through as he had not heard of the OCR.

Friday 10/8/18 315 Kms

Breakfast for me comprised the famous Oodnadatta burger which you couldn’t get your mouth around as it was that big . Whilst we were eating Rex and Phil arrived having camped at the bridge as we has suspected. Talk around the riders was about the road to Dalhousie which from all accounts was very ordinary and certain to be a handful with sand, gibbers and bulldust a plenty :eek2. With this in mind we chose to take the alternate route via Eringa and Bloods Creek but this road certainly had its moments as well. :nod

It must have shook up a few bikes as I was riding along when I spied a yellow small duffel lying on the road. Stopping I picked it up and strapped it to my bike. A km or so up the road I came across a plastic bag – someone was lightening the load on their bike! :lol2 As I strapped on the bag a 4wd pulled up and after confirming I was OK took off ahead of me. Again not long up the road the 4wd came to a stop and someone got out to pick something up just as a rider on one of the new SWM Superdual Xs came the other way. He was backtracking looking for his gear. I pulled up and handed over the other two items which made up all of his missing items. Thanking me and promising me a beer :beer at Mt Dare I continued on and left him to strap everything back on. I never did get that beer!

We arrived at Mt Dare earlier enough to get a great spot in amongst the trees which Paul had picked out for us. :happay
    [​IMG]
    I chose to fully set up the camp and get out of my riding gear as well as having a shower and changing clothes which allowed me to then put on a load of washing whilst the others enjoyed a beer and a chat around the bar. That night we ordered a meal from the menu before joining others around the campfire outside the bar.
    [​IMG]
    During the day I ran into some riders and whilst chatting with them they noticed my Tenere Tragics shirt so asked me if I knew a fellow tragic called “Beak” as Beak was his brother in law. Of course I knew Beak (everyone knows Beak) and said it would be great to catch up with him.

Some time in the afternoon word came through that a rider had gone down hard :p3rrybetween Dalhousie and Mt Dare and arrangements were being made for RFDS to evacuate him :yikes. A truck was called upon to rescue a stranded outfit after it sheared a sidecar wheel also on the Dalhousie loop.

Throughout the afternoon and night the wind had picked up making it quite cold :vardy as well as covering everything with fine layer of sand.

Saturday 11/8/18
    Today was a rest day so we took it easy and used the day to catch up on some maintenance on Eamonns bike which had broken a rear rack bolt and to fit the new speedo cable. The bolt has sheared off in the captive nut so to get it out with limited tools available was a project and a half in itself and after mucking around with the speedo cable we realised it was the wrong one! :beccaPhil had also lost a bolt form his screen and was fortunate enough to find a replacement in the workshop.

I took the opportunity to walk around and take some photos of the various bikes that were there as well as chat to the riders. The variety of bikes that made it to the OCR was amazing

• Outfits

• DR650s and one even with a sidecar

• KTM 640 Adventure

• BMWs

• AJP PR7

• SWM Superdual X

• WR250

• XT250

• Tenere XT660Z

• Tenere 600

• XT500

• XR650s

• Triumph Tigers

• CRF1000 Africa Twins

• V strom

• KLR650s

• KTM1190/950 etc

• KTM690

• DRZ/KLX 400s

• Husky Terra 650

• Kawasaki Versys
    Saturday nights meal was a BBQ with choice of steak, sausages salad and chips or Chops, sausages salad and chips for $25 and the crew at Mt Dare did a good job getting the hungry horde fed :thumb. Before the night wore on the traditional auction of “The Pudding” was held with money raised going towards the RFDS.
    [​IMG]
    Then it was time for suggestions for the next OCR in 2 years time. I forget all of them but it included Loerella Springs, Top Springs, Adeles Grove, Betoota.

Sunday 12/8/18 271 kms
    Today we started our homeward journey and after farewelling Mt Dare made our way to Finke where we would turn left towards Kulgera rather than take the shorter but tougher finke road.

At the first patch of bulldust/sand I stopped to assist a rider on a new Africa Twin. He had moved too far left and was buried to the axle in sand and couldn’t get drive to the ground to get out:doh . I gave him a push and continued on my way. Apparently this patch of loose sand caused trouble for a number of riders following and one at least was injured as we found out later.

We hadn’t travelled too far from the Finke turn off before we spotted Rex on the side of the road with a flat rear tyre :(. I carried a spare 21 which we could use in a pinch and Phil had a 19 but as luck would have it Andy (one of Eamonns mates) on the BMW rode up and offered his spare 18 inch tube which he had been travelling with for the last 12 months.
    [​IMG]
    Andy continued on looking to make Adelaide as he would be catching a plane back to work.

We assisted Rex fit the new tube and utilised my moto pressor pump via the anderson plug on my KLX to pump it up. Once under way we made our way to the turnoff to Lamberts Centre. The road in was fairly sandy and Phil had a little lie down :muuttto have a rest under his bike after only a few hundred metres. We wrestled the bike up and struggled in the rest of the way.
    [​IMG]
    In 1988 the Royal Geographical Society of Australasia determined the geographical centre of Australia as a Bicentennial project. A monument was erected to mark the location and named in honour of Dr. Bruce Philip Lambert, a former Director of the Division of National Mapping, for his achievements in the national survey, levelling and mapping of the continent.
    [​IMG]
    At the site Rex once again had a flat rear tyre and upon examination it looked as though the tube could have deteriorated/chaffed whilst being carried in Andys gear for the last 12 months :becca. Two patches were applied and we were on our way again. Back at the turn off it was Phils turn to have a flat :becca. He has speared off the track slightly and managed to puncture his tyre through the sidewall. Phil and I were confident that we could handle fitting the spare tube so Rex continued on looking to nurse the rear tyre along until he could get to the bitumen.
    [​IMG]
    Whilst repairing the flat another group of riders went past into Lamberts Centre but were soon turned around by the road conditions. :p3rry With the front tyre fixed we hit the road again and made it another 20 kms before coming across a scene we did not want to see . A rider had come off and there was an ambulance in attendance together with other riders and a broken bike parked off to the side :eek2. When we got closer we realised it was Andy although his bike was no longer recognisable as the tank seat panniers instruments etc had been lost in the incident. Stopping to ensure that everything that could be done had been done for both rider and bike we continued onwards. (Andy was going to be transported by ambulance to Finke and then flown to Alice Springs for admission to hospital, arrangements had been made for his bike to be picked up by someone form the Kulgera Roadhouse).
    [​IMG]
    On the way we passed a number of other riders :ricky heading east as well as a police vehicle which we later found was attending another accident where a rider was injured closer to Finke on the Mt Dare side.

About 50 kms from Kulgera we came upon Rex once more – this time the rear tyre was completely stuffed :beccaso he had been speaking with the guy from the Kulgera Roadhouse so knew that someone would be back this way after picking up the other bikes so he was OK to wait it out. We promised to try and find a tyre for him and get it back to him if we could.

At Kulgera we regrouped (minus Rex) and located a couple of second hand tyres which Eamonn and Paul would take back to Rex. Whilst they were gone we made arrangements for our accommodation – once again picking up a twin share room for $60. :thumb

The amenities at the roadhouse were excellent and once Paul, Eamonn and Rex returned we all enjoyed a meal and a drink at the tavern.

Monday 13/8/18 275 kms
    Phil and Rex made an early start today and made a beeline to Alice Springs to fit new rubber. Eamonn, myself, Paul and Pauls wife Karen stayed around and tried to sort out arrangements for Andys bike including payment. Whilst waiting around and taking advantage of the free wi-fi, Eamonn got some good news. Andy was out of Hospital and would be catching a commercial flight out of Alice Springs at lunch time today. Arrangements were made for payment of the bike recovery and Paul offered to get his luggage through to Alice Springs where it would be dropped at a friends house. Much later than we wanted we recommenced our journey, stopping at Erldunda for breakfast before getting into Alice where we split up Paul and Eamonn dropping Andys gear off and myself heading to Desert Edge Motorcycles hoping to catch up with Phil and Rex.

On my way to Desert Edge I was surprised by Phil as he pulled in beside me (he had seen me ride past and followed). Phil explained that both he and Rex had got their tyres sorted and Rex and gone on planning to cross the plenty and head back towards Mareeba but Phil was planning to hang around Alice for the day before heading north up the Stuart Highway to Barkly and across.

I wanted to replace my tube that I had loaned so we both went back to Desert Edge where I got both an 18” and 21” tube just in case as I was going to be travelling on from here on my own. Eamonn and Paul arrived so we said our farewells :wavewith Eamonnn deciding to get further north while there was still heaps of daylight and Paul and Karen hoping to get to Gemtree whilst I convinced Phil to join me overnight in Alice at the Gidday Mate Caravan Park where I would get a cabin. Not long after settling into the Cabin Paul rang to advise that Gemtree was full so he and Karen would stay here for the night instead so joined us in a cabin opposite.

Phil spent the afternoon touring Alice whilst I planned my ride home including fuel stops and caught up on emails, Facebook :type phone calls etc as I finally had phone reception . That night we all went out for tea at the Heavitree Gap Tavern.

Tuesday 14/8/18 564 kms

Leaving Phil to check out a little later I left the park around 8.00am and immediately turned the wrong way out of the park :doh. Retracing my path I rode through Alice following Paul and Karen through town until they turned off and I kept going to the Shell where I refuelled. Just out of town I had to stop and start my Spot which I had forgot when preparing to leave this morning, As I was stopped Paul and Karen pulled in behind me. They were happy to shadow me all the way to just before Tobermorey where they will turn north towards their home in the Isa.

I stopped at the turnoff to the Plenty Highway for some photos then again at Gemtree where I stopped for fuel and we all had breakfast and a hot cuppa as it was still quite cold :vardy due in part to the wind chill.
    [​IMG]
    Next stop was Jervois for fuel where the lady serving me advised me that the next 80 kms of road was in some of the worst condition she had seen :eek2. This was proved true and quite often I found myself on the wrong side of the road to avoid the deep bulldust holes and rocks etc . At the turn off to Urandangi I bade farewell :waveto Paul and Karen before riding the last little bit into Tobermorey where I refuelled and set up camp for the night.
    [​IMG]
    A group of 4WDs pulled into the camp just behind me and set up just beside me and after some small talk invited me to come over for a beer :beeraround their fire. Accepting their offer I broke out the Chicken Crimpy biscuits and smoked oysters that I had been carrying and shared them round. It turned out that they were all from Yeppoon, roughly the same age as myself and were on a camping holiday together visiting places along the way (including Longreach) to Alice Springs before returning via the Simpson Desert. We spoke of common interests and places that we had been and/or were going and I shared some thoughts with them on points of interest and places to see around Alice which I had experienced. We talked until around 10.00pm before calling it a night and turning in.

Wednesday 15/8/18 788 kms
    Tobermorey is a working station so I shouldn’t have been surprised when a big generator kicked in at 0 dark thirty :( – the noise of which I think disturbed many of those that were camped. Due to the generator I was up and packed up early and was on the road by about 7.30 - in time to see a huge bank of fog clouding the main road and into the distance :eek7. I stopped to take photos of the fog and a bit further on at the Qld/NT Border.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I rode cautiously until the fog cleared and after that simply rode to the conditions which were vastly improved compared with yesterday. I stopped at Boulia for fuel and a burger and put 6 litres in the bladder to ensure that I had enough to get through to Winton which was 360 kms away. About 2/3 of the way I pulled over to fill the tank form the bladder and to stretch my legs. In Winton I again refuelled and topped up my camelback before riding the last stretch into Longreach and Home where I arrived at 4.30pm :happay

Closing odometer 7422 Total distance travelled 4253 kms

[​IMG]
    Chop Chop, Aesc, Angry Pete and 15 others like this.
  2. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report.
    Thank you for posting.
    sitdownman likes this.
  3. LOFTYBOB

LOFTYBOB Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer:
    On the bucket list, thanks for posting
    sitdownman likes this.
  4. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great write up!!:clap
    sitdownman likes this.
  5. DIYtestpert

DIYtestpert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was me who didn't make it to Finke - too much sand and speed, too little talent and experience. Andy and I shared the RFDS plane to Alice Springs Hospital, I hope he is doing fine now. I'm back home (Canberra) after 6 days in hospital - fractures in both feet, broken ankle, 7 broken ribs and a broken thumb, so 6 weeks off my feet in a wheelchair. The care and support I got at Alice Springs Hospital was the best I have ever received, so if you're gonna crash do it near there. Ha Ha. Bike should be an easy repair, so I hope to make a few more rallies this year. OCR crash.jpg
    Aesc, Angry Pete, Mouse and 2 others like this.
  6. sitdownman

sitdownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :yikes Wow - an impressive no of breaks but didn't break your spirit! I am glad you got the treatment required and are recovering. Andy as far as I know is OK - released after observation for concussion and bruising and caught a commercial flight out of Alice on the Monday. Best wishes on your recovery.
    Aesc and pops like this.
  7. Aesc

Aesc ... just dawdlin' along ...

Oddometer:
    Just read your ride report. A great trip and write up
  8. Barbara Kay

Barbara Kay Life is short do the trip.

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, sorry to hear you were one of the injured. I was one of the sidecar riders that were also on the road to Finke - we passed a couple of bikes that were stopped in the sand. All good now?