2018 R1200GS front wheel bearing or seal removal

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by TwoTiredRiders, Apr 14, 2019 at 6:57 PM.

1. TwoTiredRiders

TwoTiredRiders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, based on this picture what needs to be replaced here and what is the best method for removal? It seems that in haste I put my axle spacer on the wrong side of the wheel and attempted to tighten the axle bolt. (meanwhile I've done this dozens of times I have two sets of rims but apparently wasn't paying attention). I did not ride the bike as it was clear that the calipers weren't fitting over the discs correctly. I knew something was off so disassembled and figured out my mistake. I didn't think much of it until tonight when I went back out to finish the job and the spacer would not fit into the seal. It was a few days ago that I mounted new tires and just now got back to finishing up. I'm amazed that the seal was so badly deformed. Looks like I need to take it out. Is it just the seal or the bearing and seal all one unit? Best method for removal? Thanks for the help.

FVxrSGJ3R1ywsL7ikRKrUg.jpg
  2. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's just the seal that is damaged. To remove the seal, use a small screw driver or dental punch to pry it out. It should come out pretty easy. I believe the seal is all rubber with no metal ring on it. Do check the bearing by rotating it with you finger and feel if there is any notchyness detected. To replace the seal use a socket that fits the outer diameter of the seal and gently tap it in. Use the back side of the socket for a better fit over the seal. Really pretty easy to do. I did the same thing! LOL..
  3. TwoTiredRiders

TwoTiredRiders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK sounds good. Figured it was just the seal but thought I would seek some advice before I dove in. I'll order one now.
    Thank you!