2018 Ride into the Big Dry. Hervey Bay to the Flinders Ranges (round about, sort of on the Tiger)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Angry Pete, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Dorothea Mackellar wrote in her poem ‘My Country’;
    "I love a sunburnt country
    A land of sweeping plains,
    Of ragged mountain ranges,
    Of droughts and flooding rains."

Well many parts of Australia are currently gripped by drought.

[​IMG]

This year’s ride with my brother in-law Big Steve, was to visit the Flinders Ranges in South Australia. We ride into the big dry.

First a rough plan of which dates that would suit. @BergDonk posted that the TK memorial ride would be to the Silverton Pub on the 18th of Aug, well that was on the way and the timing was perfect. We decided on a rough route that see us meet up a Chinchilla, follow the Darling river south west to Tilpa, over to Whitecliffs, across to Broken Hill then out to Silverton.
    From Silverton we’d ride down to the Finders, have a look around then ride up the Strzelecki track to Innamincka then home.

[​IMG]

Originally we had planned a two week ride, however I decided that I was a bit over working so, I quit and all of a sudden I didn’t have any firm date to be back, you beauty!

However, things didn’t end up going to plan…

Prep.

This year I decided to try a few different things, ditch the Swag for a Bivy plus Hiker Fly and bring my Mavic Pro Drone in a hard case.
    Bike prep was straight forward, oil and coolant change, check valve clearances, Midas E-07 rear and Continental TKC-80 front with new HD tubes. Also splashed out and purchased an AGV AX-8 EVO helmet, noice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the valves were in spec!

[​IMG]

I did have to replace a bearing in the rear sprocket carrier.

[​IMG]

All done, just a few trials with packing the gear, then the culling process!
    ferals5, toowoomba, Mr Head and 4 others like this.
  2. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    Day 1, Hervey Bay to Chinchilla

The Departing Shots, all nice and clean!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Departed 9am on Monday 13th of Aug, first task was to drop into a local quarry to weigh the bike; 370kg! I only had to travel about 400km, so I decided to take a cruisy scenic route that was a mix of back road tar and gravel.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately my bike mounted camera decided it didn’t want to play, so today’s video didn’t quite work out.

Today’s ride included visiting a world renowned couple who have a property just out of Kilkivan that offers free camping to motorcyclists of all persuasions. If you bookface people, you’ll find ‘Handlebar Haven’. Had a great catch-up with Jock and Annie and tour of the impressive site improvements.

[​IMG] (photo by Annie, stolen off their site)

Rolled into Steve’s Aunties house at Chinchilla around 4pm as the sun was starting to get low and the day was cooling off. Quick check over the bike found no problems, good start to the trip.

Chinchilla is now a hub for inland gas fields, plenty on work around for those with a few skills. The land around the area traditionally supports grain and livestock; time will tell the long term effects of the gas extraction processes on the water table, which I suspect will not be good.

We had a fantastic home cooked meal with Auntie Pam entertaining us with her & Uncle Allan’s mad ‘Grey Haired Nomad’ travel stories. The overnight temperature got down to -1.4 deg C!

[​IMG]

Day 2, Chinchilla to Nindigully

Yesterday’s ride was more a shake down, today we start. Got away at 9am rode south to Tara, then west to a cool gem of a town called Meandarra. Having morning smoko at a corner store the shop owner suggested we visit the Military Museum across the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anything that's a Double Mamba needs to included in a ride report...

[​IMG]
    Well worth the visit!

Heading west again next stop Glenmorgan to view a rather special garage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dropped a few gold coin donations in the tin to help old mate out.

In search of more dirt roads we headed south through Teelba and found some interesting road side carvings. While taking the photos, old mate the farmer pulls up in his ‘whatever the number’ series Land Cruiser trayback (complete with dogs) to check if we’re ok, turns out his mate is a chainsaw artist and does these carvings all over the place!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We got to the Moonie Hwy, headed west until Chelmer Road, this heads SSW besides the Moonie river to our planed overnight stop at Nindigully. Heading South, Steve was too busy looking at the scenery and took a wrong turn, however we eventually got there!

[​IMG]

I’ve seeing ‘Nindi-fuckin-gully’ stickers on all sorts of vehicles for years, even my mad Auntie Ann and Uncle Brian stay there on one of their ‘Grey Haired Nomad’ travels,

[​IMG]
    (Here’s us meeting them on the road between Windorah and Birdsville back in 2015)

So we were keen to check this place out;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Top beer garden

[​IMG]
    I don’t often do the food photo, here’s a Chicken Parmy (Chicken Parmigiana), nearly every pub will do you a Parmy, Nindigully even have a donation tin called donate a ‘Farmer a Parma’! So, keep this picture in mind for a part of the story in days to come…

We had a few quiet beers, talked to the ‘Gray Haired Nomads’, the nut case sheila behind the bar with a boyfriend in a wheelchair (whose mother hates her) and listen to a very good one man band, Adam Kilpatrick, this guy was excellent, also while performing live he streams the gig on his Facebook page, if your into that sort of thing here’s a link!

Nindigully are also famous for this creation:
    https://goo.gl/images/YXZGZh (thanks Google)
    Now just bring on the heart attack!
    [​IMG]

Set up camp by the river/billabong, life is good.
  3. pandamanprod

pandamanprod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I MISS THIS! Amazing - can't wait to see where you are headed!
  4. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ben!
    It will give you something to read while you are getting over your injuries. Just show wifey the good bits and why she needs to ride...
    dirtgirl690 likes this.
  5. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    Day 3, Nindigully to Bogan River

Up, packed early and on the road by 8:30, The nut case barmaid told us there was fuel at Thallon just down the road, she also mentioned that there were murals painted on the grain silos, cool. In our quest for dirt roads we had made a serious error in regards to fuel, no worries, she’ll be right…

So we head south on the Carnarvon Hwy to Thallon, got there but alas no fuel, hmm. Had a look around, saw the local cop cruising around making sure his patch was all in order. I pulled him over to ask where we could get some fuel, closest place was Mungindi 45km down the road, ok I think we can do that.
    Rode around to the viewing area got some footage of the silos and took a few pics of William the Wombat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back on the road only for Steve to run out of fuel 5km out of town! Opened the cap on my Safari tank, not much in there either, but maybe just enough, as Steve was the one who ran out, he gets to do the siphoning! Away again making it to Mungindi (NSW/QLD border town on the banks of the Barwon river) without further drama.

Fueled up, had a good feed at the local bakery, ginned around, then got on the road heading South/West by 11am, next stop Walget. The day was heating up so we stopped at a road side coffee van to remove the thermals, noted that the day had sort of slipped away and we really needed to get a few K’s under the wheels.

Slabbed it some more West to Brewarrina, thinking we may get some accommodation, however once stopped at the tourist information area, we had a look around town and thought maybe not. I have this rather cool App on the phone ‘Wikicamps’ for the $5 fee, this App come very handy, the closest place that appealed was a farm stay/farm camp called ‘Rossmore’ Station run by Denise and Bill, comments on the placed seemed ok, that’s us for the night there then.

Now as the day was getting on, heading west into the setting sun and the amount of road kill we had seen, we decided to slab it once again to get there before Roo o’clock. We made good time, arrived at the farm house at 3:45pm to be greeted by old mate who was in for a chat.

Got the low down on the drought, how the local sheep farmers were being raped financially by cotton seed suppliers to feed their herd, his family history, the old Triumph bike he sold to some city slicker for $3000, “the guy was a nutter and paid too much, but I didn’t mind”, what the government should be doing to help the farmers etc!

So, as you can imagine this went on for some time, but it was great, the guy was interesting and quite obviously mad.

We eventually parted with the cash, got the combination for the lock and made our way to the camp ground.

[​IMG]

We didn't get to do any interesting dirt roads, there is going to be plenty of that over trip, we sat back and enjoyed the serenity.

[​IMG]

Life is still good.
  6. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    Day 4, Bogan River to Tongo Creek

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn’t get much sleep overnight, so it took a while to get organised. Leaving at the civilised time of 8:30am was a wise choice.
    The amount of fresh road kill along the 30km stretch to Bourke was a fair indication of how bad the drought was getting, in some sections the overnighters and early morning transports had the road fairly well splattered with dead roos and fresh red blood glistening in the morning sun.

[​IMG]
    Once in Bourke we fuelled up, found a supermarket to stock up with supplies and then got to the bakery for breakfast and coffee. At the Bakery we meet up with @Burnsy and his mates who were coming back from the OCR (Off Centre Rally) that was held the previous weekend at Mt. Dare.
    These guys are hard core, very well set up and a little insane! Got some handy information on the track conditions ahead and what to expect. We had a good chin wag, then it was time to get going, we wished the guys safe travels and hit the road.

Originally, the information was that the North West side of the Darling river track to Tilpa was the go, but changed our plans to the South East road, this turned out to be a wise choice. The weekend before was the Loath Cup (horse race), so the road had been graded, there were corrugations, the odd bit of bulldust or sandy but no real bad sections.

We rode into Loath just before midday, wasn’t too fussed with the place and continued south. At Milpra River Well we decided to stretch the legs and take a few photos. It was here I discovered that I hadn’t properly secured the gimbal on my drone and the corrugations had killed it! Deep breath, not too much I could do about it, but FFS! Sucked it up and continued on.

[​IMG]
    Not much for the sheep to feed on here, the white patches are cotton seed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last gasp of water in the Darling river, now reduced to billabongs.

Got into Tipla, now this place is cool. Fuelled up, had a good yarn with a local farmer, not a bad feed, a good look around and took a few pictures. We attempted to talk to the Irish barmaid who was totally devoid of any personality at all, none. I’m sure if she cracked a smile it would break the screen of her phone, maybe it’s me…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As the day was still young we contemplated staying and having a few more quiet beers, so I enquired about camping out the front of the Pub or across the road to be told ‘No’ by the barmaid, but we could camp on the common, over the bridge 3km away on the banks of the river (with the Bunyips, the Boogie man, and the Grim-Reaper), hmm, no thanks.

We made tracks towards Whitecliffs on the dodgy Tilpa-Tonga road. The road start out ordinary and just got worse, it was hard work to pick a smooth line, I wasn’t really enjoying to ride. When you have a look from the satellite shot, the track goes through the overflow flood plan of the Darling and Paroo river systems, so yeah, you’ll get that.

Our speed varied between 65 – 85kmh which seemed appropriate for the road conditions, weight of the bikes and close proximity of vegetation. Up unto this point we had both been pretty good at picking and dodging Emus, Goats, Sheep and roos, naturally this changed, as a goat decided it needed to be on the other side of the road just as I was riding past.

I usually adjust my speed to how long it’ll take me to stop, well I was probably going just a bit quick, couldn’t pull up in time, made sure the bars were straight and rolled it on a split second before impact, the front end gave a bit of a shake but came good straight away, once good I check the mirror to see Mr Billy Goat spin around a few more times and run off into the scrub, lucky escape for all!

Not five minutes later, I’ve come around a corner to see a fair cloud of dust with Steve’s helmet just visible over a cattle grid. A sign before the grid read “Rough Surface”, yeah duh! I’ve waded my way through the soft patch over the grid, and parked up. By this stage Steve is off to the side of the track, he looked ok, so the only thing to do is whip the camera out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Steve did a pretty good job of fighting it, but the bulldust eventually came out the winner!

[​IMG]

He didn’t seem that bad, his chest was a bit sore, but OK. We lifted the bike up, the 950 spluttered to life and we went about check the bike over. Just a few scratches and broken front right indicator. Had a blow, revised our plans we wouldn’t be getting to Whitecliffs, we’d get to the Wanaaring turn off then look for a place to camp.

Set off past Laurelvale homestead on our way again at a bit slower speed, less than 5 min up the road a friggen big roo jumped out, this time I was on the anchors pretty quick and pull the big girl up, would have been no lucky escape with that critter. Just after the turn off was Tongo creek, yep this will do us for the night, we set up camp at 4:50pm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty ordinary day, I’m sure the Irish barmaid had some voodoo dolls…
  7. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    Day 5, Tongo Creek to Silverton

[​IMG]

Steve wasn’t traveling too well, we had him loaded up on 'Panadol Forte' (proper stuff with Codeine). We got away at about 7:45 alone the Wilcannia-Wanaaring Road heading South, the track had light corrugations but generally in pretty good nick, that was until the Paroo-Darling National Park where it turned rather boney, things got even worse riding along the Perry lake section, lots of loose big rocks especially through the dry creek crossings. Coming out of one creek crossing we came across this old wreck, subject of many ADV riders photos over the years, it would have a great story.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not too far down the track we turned West again along Mandalay road, things started to improve with a smooth (relative) surface, by 9:30 Turleys Hill at Whitecliffs came into view. Time for breakfast and coffee at the General Store ran by Belinda who was very interesting and a wealth of information.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We wandered over to Joe's Opal Shop, the famous place made out of beer bottles, we had a look at his wares, decided we knew absolutely nothing about Opals and weren’t too sure if the prices were fair or a gee-up for stupid tourists.

[​IMG]

We went for a ride around town, then decided to take in the 11am ‘Mine Tour’ which turned out to be a ‘come and look at my half-finished underground house that used to be an Opal Mine full of arty stuff while I talk like an artist’ Tour. Not quite what we were expecting, but it was interesting and the lady conducting the tour was engaging (if not slightly strange).
    Back to the General Store to fuel up and make tracks. Originally we had planned to continue mostly on dirt roads to Broken Hill, however with Steve’s condition causing severe discomfort, we thought it best to slab it South towards Wilcannia then West with a lunch/beer stop at Little Topar Roadhouse. Arriving at Silverton around 4:30.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got to love a pub that gets an afternoon visit by the local donkeys.

We had a few beers, found the place had been booked out, so rode around to the Camp ground were we ran into some other riders including the legendary Henny with 500 year old green Air-Head that has been around the clock 5 times. Set up camp, brewed up a cuppa tea and listened to some entertaining stories. Wandered over to the pub later in the evening and had a few more beers.

[​IMG]

Life is good for me, not so good for Steve.
    No video today, didn't get much footage and what I did get was crap.
  8. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming Pete, :lurk
    I'm waiting for the bit we talked about yesterday :wink:
    dirtgirl690 likes this.
  9. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    All in good time!
    Bloody chain-saw broke yesterday, I've got it apart, bloody $98 from Bunnings (Oz version of Wall-Mart without the freaky people) 13 years ago, cheap shit!

Next bit soon...
    Wodger63 likes this.
  10. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can loan you an axe if that helps :imaposer
    Angry Pete likes this.
  11. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    Day 6, Around Broken Hill
    Part 1.

Had another crap nights sleep, it didn’t help that I picked up a puncture in my 20 year old Term-a-rest, FFS shit quality. Then a bloody Corella pack flew in on sun up the noise could wake up the dead, then they shit all over the place.
    Similar to this

Henny had the same problem with his mattress, I thought somebody must have been playing a prank, however after doing a leak test in the wash basin we both found puncture holes, Hmm. So it was a great start to the day, brewed up a cup of coffee, had a yarn, packed up camp and contemplated our day ahead.
    The rough plan for the day was to ride into Broken Hill, have a coffee, restock the camp food, do some touristy things, then back out to Silverton, check into out accommodation and do some more touristy things.

Broken Hill has an interesting history, for the last 100+ years on the back of mining. This also brings good and bad stories, of the countless stories coming from the town, one attraction I wanted to see was the Pro Hart Art Gallery.

[​IMG]

This guy did a huge volume of work, the gallery is well set out with his work, static and audio/visual displays. We took a couple of hours here, I noted that his family are quite canny with drip feeding his remaining works to keep the prices in the sale room, there is also the usual cheaper souvenir trinkets but that sort of stuff doesn’t really interest me!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any 'older' Australians will remember this ad;

Top stuff!

We went into the main part of town had a walk around, up to the lookout;

[​IMG]

Not a very good pano' but you get the idea.

We then decided on a mineral art/mining museum visit, now this story is one you can tell small children when they have been naughty...

The entrance resembled entering an underground mine shaft, ok, we’ll roll with this, so we ring the doorbell to be met by Bushy White. He ushered us in, told us we’d be having the mine ‘tour’, now to place you in the picture, he has made his shed, in mean to say ‘gallery’ into a replica mine, so it has a low roof, timber support beams, black cloth draped the walls with his art works on display covering nearly every nook and cranny.

He herded us in to the AV room where we are show a really old VHS tape of Broken Hills history. Now to be fair, it was very informative and interesting, when that concluded we are then corralled into another section where he starts his spiel with displaying a ‘spider’, this is specially crafted wrought iron candle holder that the early underground miners used, then him proceeds to turn off the lights and starts his story on the early days of underground mining while using the candle to show how the minerals in his sparkle to the flame, while running his finger nails down the ‘Art Work’ (which is for sale, by the way) in an Uncle Fester sort of way.

It was sort of interesting, sort of creepy and it was obvious that this guy had spent way too long working underground. After what seem endless hours of psychological torture, he then allowed us to view his ‘Mineral Art Works’ (which are for sale, by the way).

To give you a mental image of the ‘Mineral Art Works’ (which are for sale, by the way), remember the old colour by numbers painting system from the age of the dinosaurs? This was similar, but instead of using paint, Bushy glues cord along the outlines, crushes up the minerals that are mined then adheres them between the aforementioned cord to create his ‘Mineral Art Works’ (which are for sale, by the way).

His ‘Mineral Art Works’ (which are NOT for sale) depicts a lot of the history of Broken Hill, which is rather dark. As with many early mining operations around the world, death and ill health from lead/gas poisoning and other dodgy practices are displayed with prominence. Also many of the labor struggles, Union activities, strikes and the fight for better pay and safe work conditions.

You get the feeling that a lot of this effort was a way of dealing with the years of working in these conditions, rats (two and four legged varieties) and seeing mates die. I have great respect from the old generations who have lived hard lives and love listening to their stories. This was hard work, the hard sell was a bit over the top, so overall it was worth the experience, just don’t take your kids there, they’ll be scarred for life.

Here's a link to video. I haven't watched it just in-case I get some flash backs and decide to top myself.

Part 2 later...
  12. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    Oh, I forgot...
    There was another part to the mineral art/mining museum visit, the Doll section. Bushy's wife make clothes and other stuff for dolls (if you have a weird aunt who does this you'll know what I'd talking about), fairdinkum, I took one look into this bazaar world and got so creeped out, this place is where they could make 'Wolf Creek 3'. Scarry shit, if you visit the mineral art/mining museum visit (where stuff is for sale), DO NOT look in the doll section.
    ktmgeoff and sages like this.
  13. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    Day 6, Part 2. Silverton (N.S.W.) and TK Memorial

Meanwhile back in Silverton we checked into our room out the back of the pub, the room was very flash, that goes some way to explain the rather expensive rate, but we were both in the need of a shower and a comfortable bed.

The Silverton pub has an interesting history, more recently as the backdrop for many movies and advertising campaigns. Some of the movies include: ‘Mad Max II’, ‘Razorback’, ‘Wake in Fright’, ‘The Slim Dusty Movie’, ‘Mission Impossible II’, ‘The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert’ and many more. If you get a chance to see ‘Razorback’ jump at it, the movie is OTT!

Before we got too comfortable, a walk up the road to the Mad Max 2 Museum was in order. The Mad Max movies are legendary. The second movie (“The Road Warrior”) was filmed around Broken Hill and Silverton. Englishman Adrian wife Linda Bennett moved to Silverton and opened up his Museum.

[​IMG]
    This way!

[​IMG]
    Some people have Gnomes in their front garden...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "You can shut the gate on this one, Maxie... it's the duck's guts"
    "She sucks nitro... with Phase 4 heads! 600 horsepower through the wheels! She's meanness set to music and the bitch is born to run"

We spent a good few hours there, the place has lots to see and read, Adrian and Linda were gracious enough to let me spread some of my late brothers ashes there as Mad Max was his favourite movie, (he even had the nick name ‘Cundalini’)

After getting our Mad Max fix, it was back to the bar. We meet up with the very well-travelled Brian ( @Not the Messiah ), @tomrux and a very interesting couple who were traveling around on a pair of Royal Enfeild Himalayans. Between this lot, plus Henny & the guys, I got some great tips on routes and places to visit in the Flinders.

[​IMG]

So we settled in and enjoyed some good company and tall stories, however after the sun had long gone down, the rest of the crew who were riding on the TK run up from Gol Gol hadn’t turned up. Hmmm, we ordered dinner in the distance we heard the sounds of bikes. They had all arrived safely, wide eyed and amped!

So the rest of the night was beers and chatting to these blokes about their ride. There were some funny tails told, they had a seriously big day.
    More of the ride can be found here.

So, you get the idea how things went then!
  14. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work mate:thumb
    Angry Pete likes this.
  15. Not the Messiah

Not the Messiah Old enough to know better, but slow learnin'

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmmm, perhaps I should consider it a good thing that I left early-ish to sneak back into Broken Heal.

Great report Pete, nice work

Cheers
    Brian
    Angry Pete likes this.
  16. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    Day 7, Silverton to Hawker (well…)

We were up relatively early, mainly because of all those noisy bastards on the TK ride who going to have a big ride home, especially @KIZ who threw his swag down right outside our room! Managed to have a yak to @Oldfatbeerman before he set off and check over his very nicely farkled bike.
    Once all those larrikins departed we made plans for the day.

[​IMG]

Steve’s condition hadn’t got any better, at first we thought he may have a cracked rib(s), but it was a badly torn Pectoral muscle, net result being the inability to raise his right arm, reduced movement range when twisting and severe discomfort riding on rough roads.

So he took the decision to can the rest of the trip and slab it three days home to Mackay (with the rest of my u-beaut drugs - take note). I would continue on to the Flinders solo, just stick to the more traveled roads which meant ditching some of the more interesting routes I had planned the day before, damn! We said our goodbyes; I hung around town to take a few more shots then headed into Broken Hill to fuel up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the road into another head wind, down the road a bit I saw a group of three riders and big adventure bikes and their support vehicle pulled over by the Police in deep serious conversation, hmmm, on Westward. Came across a grader drive about to start a run north.

[​IMG]

This is how a lot of outback roads get maintained, old mate tows the van behind the Grader, parks it up, then proceeds to do a stretch, camps the night, hitches up and starts again.

[​IMG]
    Looking west on the Barrier Highway.

I was about time for a coffee, or was it the sign that said coffee? Mannahill wasn’t too far away, yep a coffee would be good, pulled up at the pub/road house/local store with the ‘open’ sign only for the place to be locked up and seemingly deserted. Or maybe some wack job had everybody held hostage, had a gun to their heads waiting for me to leave…

[​IMG]

I needed to stretch the legs anyway, so took a walk over to the railway station kick around and took a few photos. The bikes and support ute rolled by.
    There is a track that loops south from Mannahill to Yunta through some private property that I was told about, it looked really tempting, however the road didn’t look too well travelled, I’m solo on a big fat pig of a bike, maybe not this time, on to Yunta.

[​IMG]

Pulled into a servo in Yunta, the other bikes were there. Fueled up, ordered some coffee and food, then sat down with the other group to find out about their trip: They were on a couple of KTM’s (990 & 690) and GS1200 thingy, from W.A. (Western Australia) and coming home from a coast to coast ride, good stuff! Unfortunately there was a bit of a communication problem at a Service station in Broken Hill, nobody paid for the Ute’s Diesel, they had only paid for the bikes! The service station was not real happy about that hence the Police chase. All good in the end, coppers didn’t Taser them, the fuel diesel got paid and they all got to laugh about it.

From Yunta the road heads north to the Flinders, with a well maintained hard packed dirt road. Here I was cruising along between 90-100kph enjoying the scenery, this must have been hard yakka for the early pioneers.

[​IMG]
    Waukaringa Goldfields

A bit further up the road I had to make a left turn along Baratta Road toward Cradock. This takes you through what once was an inland sea, relatively flat with low salt bush, the track was starting to get a little rocky but nothing too bad, it was easy to pick a good line. I just started to get my first glimpses of the Flinders, yep this is going to be good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Noice.

Now before we left, one of the local DSMRA members offered me his Spot tracker, however the subscription had ran out. $300 to renew it seemed a bit rich, Steve and I had taken a Spot before as well as a Sat' phone over the Simpson, as this trip was to on well traveled roads, we decided against the Spot. I also mentioned upon starting this trip the bike weighed in at a hefty 370kg, you know where this is leading...

Hmmm. Not good!
  17. KIZ

KIZ Marty

Oddometer:
    I had a tent, and camped behind the house opposite the pub, very quietly. Not guilty.
    BergDonk likes this.
  18. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    And I suppose you told your teacher that the dog ate your homework??

Ok, you're right, I checked! It must have that Bikeaholic bloke..
    [​IMG]
    You can see quite plainly who's swag it was...
  19. TonyRDR

TonyRDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Top report mate thanks we get pretty spoiled here in SA having the flinders so close.
    Good to see you are all in one piece despite the missups
    Angry Pete likes this.
  20. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    Part 2:
    I’ve been a bit busy with family commitments, Super Nat’s 14th birthday, house maintenance, rebuilt the chain-saw, some contract work and getting the women folk off on their two week tour of China.

Ok, back into the Ride Report;

To fully get this bit you need to find some hard packed ground that has deep wheel tracks, half fill it with bulldust, get in your riding gear and lie face down, with your left foot place a sack of potatoes on it, your right foot rotate to have the inside flat on the ground with a steel rod across the Talus between the lower Fibula (the sticky outy bit at your ankle) and Cuboid bone with such pressure that you cannot move. To complete the effect over your right thigh there is the bikes rear tyre and rear mudguard is digging into your lower back.

After the dust had settled my first thought was ascertaining if I had had broken any bones, no, I seemed all intact (soft panniers are good) however I couldn't move without hitting things and my legs were stuck. I freed my left foot without too much drama, but my right was stuck firm. Next was to try and shimmy out from under the mud guard, this took some time as I had to dig a bit, once done I managed to get into a kneeling position facing away from the bike, which was quite uncomfortable due to the rotation of my right leg. I could twist a bit but not much, I couldn’t reach anything on the bike.

Ok, so I tried to twist and move the bike, I couldn't get enough grip, it would only move enough to really dig into my ankle in a manner that was going to do some painful damage. I was also getting quite hot, so I took of my helmet, jacket and gloves, sucked down some water and started to figure out how to get my foot out.
    I could only twist my body around for short periods of time before muscle cramp would set in, so to increase my range of movement I had to dig around my legs. Eventually I unclipped my boots, but still due to the angle of my ankle and steel bar I couldn’t slide my foot out, more digging, cramp up, water, rest, repeat, eventually I removed enough dirt to slide my foot out of the boot, but I was really knocked up.

My GPS data says that I was travelling through the essess at 51 kmh the crash happened at 2:06:35, I got the bike lifted up at 2:37:03, started work on it at 2:43:51, then back on the road at 3:41:12. I thought it was longer, felt longer!

After doing a quick assessment of the bike, removing luggage, lifting the bike up (which required more digging), I set about the necessary repairs to get mobile again. Did a bit of naval gazing and headed off. After a short time I got a good rhythm, started to relax and enjoy the scenery. I had planned to get to Hawker, but the day was getting on and I started to look for a camp site. However, after the river crossing at Bucketowie Hill the track turned into this:

[​IMG]
    Freshly graded, good visibility to spot kangaroos and other wildlife with Cradock only 50km away. What a glorious ride, the road flowed through the valley with Tiger purring in a beat-up sort of way. Made Cradock in good time, found the Pub, asked what a camp site would cost me, the very accommodating barmaid said free if you had a beer or meal, I said that I’d be doing both and went and set up camp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Over beers and very good Lamb pie, met up with a very interesting group of cyclists who were doing parts of the Mawson trail, one lady who happened to be a nurse gave me some u-beaut drugs (as I had given all of mine to Steve), by this stage I was really starting to ache all over, and I slept rather soundly.

[​IMG]
    Would have been a top shot if the cars weren't there.

[​IMG]

I think life is good, I’ll get back to you.
    bomose, Wodger63, dirtgirl690 and 5 others like this.