2018 TAT Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by DeeGeeF, Feb 10, 2017.

1. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    That's good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  2. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:

There are a few spots that might be harder west to east. I remember a 1 way section but that could have been a larry boy edit. I used his GPS.

I dont see how any of this stuff could not be done in the other direction, then again, I cant belive NV was taken out.
  3. gjm6syn6

gjm6syn6 Underground

Oddometer:
    Myself and Klrmilkcrate rode the extent of Sams TAT in 2016, this year we're planning to do GpsKevins "long way down" portion. We'll be renting a 12' box truck to haul the bikes up to Maine from South Carolina, we can probably fit a couple more bikes in there if anyone is interested in splitting the bill to have their bikes hauled. Plan is to hit the road June 30th & make the drive in 2/3 days, drop the truck off in Ellsworth, then ride to Lubec to start. If anyone wants to tag along you're welcome, we average about 45mph and try to make between 180-250 miles a day depending on conditions and mood. We're cheap, so we'll be camping the whole way. (we're both on drz400s)
  4. rkdwp

rkdwp Axel Anderson Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to leave from NYC in late August & make it to Oregon by end of September. let's talk if that aligns with any of your plans. I'll be riding a 690 enduro.
  5. speedtrials

speedtrials Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm considering now whether I should do it west to east. Would ensure that I have lots of time to the the good stuff on the western portion and then as much of the eastern portion as time will allow....which is probably not all the way to the atlantic ocean....I only have a month. The cross country 'haul' to get back home wouldn't be something to dread about at the end of the trip that way too.
    i4bikes likes this.
  6. alexdruien

alexdruien @forgotten_highways

Oddometer:
    I’m working out plans to do the western half of the route. (I live near Boulder,Colorado) I have a WRR as well as a Africa Twin. I have two weeks, and would be open to riding with someone for all or a portion( if my time line doesn’t work together)
    greentouring99 likes this.
  7. 1 Bored Clerk

1 Bored Clerk Mama, I'm goin fast!

Oddometer:
    Doing the full TAT this summer as well: August. I’m hoping I can get the ‘old TAT’ from Sam. Missing Nevada is not something I’m willing to do. Plus, the parts of Colorado that are now missing. Has anyone asked Sam for the old route and had any success? I sent him an email several weeks ago and got no response. I’ll send off another one. I just don’t want to pay for all the maps and tracks then have to work out whether or not I can get the version I want afterward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. ButchCoolidge

ButchCoolidge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you get ahold of the Nevada maps I’d like to get them from you. I’d even help you pay for them if needed. Someone on here has to have them.
  9. 1 Bored Clerk

Oddometer:
    Sam has to have them! I sent another email yesterday. No response yet.

10. rkdwp

Oddometer:
    makes sense. I'm staying with some family for a few days in eastern OK, so hoping to get there quickly & spend more time exploring the western sections. best of luck with whichever route you end up on!
  11. rkdwp

Oddometer:
    the tattracks routes still have Nevada on them & appear to be recently updated. why not buy what you want to use from Sam & use those?
  12. ButchCoolidge

ButchCoolidge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah...I have those. Good idea.
  13. 1 Bored Clerk

Oddometer:
    On his website, he doesn’t show maps or GPS for Nevada. Is there a source I’m missing? I’m trying to buy what I want from Sam but his site doesn’t show what I want and he won’t return my emails.

Edit: just found Tattracks...didn’t realize that was a source. I’d rather use Sams tracks since he put in the work to get this done and it’s a vetted route that is respectful of private property...at least according to info I’ve read about the options available. Don’t know anything about tattracks though.

14. rkdwp

Oddometer:
    definitely. I plan to purchase the tracks from Sam that will be useful to me as well as the TATtracks since I want to stick to the older route through Nevada. and i believe they try to be respectful of private property as well. If you check out the "ReadMe" file in the TATtracks download, you'll see the changes they've made & when they were made. anyway, I think a combo of multiple sources to create a route that works for each individual is the best way to go!
    1 Bored Clerk likes this.
  15. 1 Bored Clerk

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate the info and will likely go the same way. There are a few trips/trails in Nevada that I want to do so I’ll see if they run close to the TAT route and modify as necessary.

16. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond.

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
    Planning to start at Dayton, TN 6/18/18 and go as far as possible considering the random nature of my schedule/ life!
    greentouring99 likes this.
  17. ButchCoolidge

ButchCoolidge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're starting about 30 miles from where I live. What are you gonna ride?
  18. TCrush

TCrush n00b

Oddometer:
    My "Tentative plan" is to Leave 20 July (solo at this point) head to NC TAT starting point, from Maryland, and see how far I can make it in 25 Days. At the 26 Day mark I need to turn around and head home. Camping along the way with a hotel room as needed for fresh shorts and a shower (other than the ones from mother nature). I'm building out on Paper a CRF 250 Rally (1st choice) or a TBD (second Choice). Once I figure out the Bike I will be getting it in March.
  19. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    25 days you could possibly finish. Depends on how many miles you get each day and if the weather gods are smiling on you.
    TCrush likes this.
  20. hackmanship

hackmanship master of none

Oddometer:
    I'm going to quit my job and head out from VT in August, travelling solo intending on camping every night. I'm building up a DR650 because my DR350 is a little tired being 20 years older. I'm hoping to hang out and ride with people along the way but I also want to just goof around keep my plans loose. I don't really have any idea what I'm going to do at the end, I like the Idea of just travelling until the money runs out or finding a suitable climate and get a job to ride out the winter.
    vt700guy likes this.