2018 TAT Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by DeeGeeF, Feb 10, 2017.

1. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond.

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
    I bought a 1998 r1100gs last year. We're having a family reunion the week before in Fall Creek Falls.
  2. wadethewanderer

Oddometer:
    Are you planning for the TAT?
  3. wadethewanderer

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving from the Dayton, TN area 6/18/18.
  4. ButchCoolidge

ButchCoolidge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to haul my 690 in the back of my truck to Moab (where I left off last year) and go west from there. Haven't decided yet when I'm leaving. Too early right now to determine the timing between work projects. If timing works out between us I'd be happy to help out if you needed tires or something carried to Moab.
  5. wadethewanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I might take you up on that. Definitely keep in contact.
  6. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    You will most likely pass us on your way, we are looking at leaving out of NC about 3 days prior. Ride safe!
  7. wadethewanderer

Oddometer:
    Good to know there's a group heading out about the same timeframe.
    SOLOKLR likes this.
  8. wadethewanderer

Oddometer:
    I w
    Starting 6/18 from TN, let me know your departure date.
  9. smitty517

smitty517 ...he's out on that @$%& bike agin'...

Oddometer:
    Hi y'all, any postings of best segments of the tat?....scenery, difficulty, water crossings, oddities and the like? ...seems like the community has all the intel, to piece together one great ride, just needs to be sorted. Planning a tat ride E-W mid June salt H20 to salt H20.
    wadethewanderer likes this.
  10. wadethewanderer

Oddometer:
    1998 r1100gs. Where are you?
  11. fierstf

fierstf girl power

Oddometer:
    Myself and two other riders will depart on the TAT from the Washington DC metro area ~July 5th. We will be on mid-size dual sport bikes. We would be happy to meet up with people along the way.
  12. Teutates74

Teutates74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving Tampa, FL July 1st and heading up to NC to the start of Kevin's. I know there is a debate on Sam vs. Kevin routes. I'm going with Kevin's route mainly because it goes coast to coast, plus I don't like the new route that Sam is taking. Also how can you have a Trans American Trail if it doesn't go coast to coast? I have the whole month of July to get to the West coast and back to Tampa. I hope to possibly meet up with some of you along the way.
  13. DimitriT

DimitriT Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leaving on 7/2 or 8/13 with a 2018 R1200GSA. 3 weeks planned. I'm shipping the bike to a friend in NC and then riding all the way to Oregon. I live in SoCal, so there's going to be a little bit more on the way back home.
  14. brewhaha1

brewhaha1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey DeeGeeF, you in Mobile? I'm in Mobile as well, recently joined the forum.
  15. greentouring99

greentouring99 n00b

Oddometer:
    Summer is coming. Its time to lock down some dates. I did eastern (easy) part of the TAT last summer, from Outer Banks to Trinidad, Co. I'd like to continue from Trinidad to Oregon sometime this summer. I have a DR650 with upgraded suspension, and a huge gas tank. I did a lot of the TAT alone last year, but decided it would be more fun with company. Particularly through the sandy parts. So, who's up for some Colorado/Utah and beyond TAT?
  16. greentouring99

greentouring99 n00b

Oddometer:
  17. greentouring99

greentouring99 n00b

Oddometer:
    Sealevel, I'm in the same boat. I did the Eastern part of the TAT in 2017, but I want to do Western part, starting from Trinidad, CO this summer. Problem with starting in May is sometimes the passes are still snowed in. But my schedule is flexible. Could meet in Trinidad and go from there. I have a 1200 GSA, but I also have a DR650, which I am using on the TAT. I have done plenty of camping on bike trips, but I would prefer to stay in motels on this trip, mainly to keep the bike lighter. But I'm flexible on that too. Let me know if you are still looking for company this summer. Thanks.
  18. scanda

scanda Trooper

Oddometer:
    Leaving Tampa 24 June to Jax and touch the Atlantic. Probably use paved country roads in GA (I have some dirt tracks though) to Andrews to start “official” TAT trail June 25 - 26 ish solo. As the date gets closer would like to exchange numbers with anyone going that time frame or ahead of me for trail reports and a beer if we cross paths.
    Teutates74 likes this.
  19. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    I am continuing my second year of TAT probably around second week of June at the start of the Ozark National Forest although still confirming with couple of other riders who is planning to join up. In the pic below, you can see how Kevin and Sam's pretty much follow each other, more or less.

Last year, our group rode 6 days and 1266 miles of TAT and got to within 100 miles of Ozark National Forest from Andrews, NC following combination of Kevin & Sam's Tracks. This year, I plan to ride for at least 10 days or more. Married with children and with mortgage doesn't allow me to take a longer break.:dirtdog

Not much difference in two tracks below.

Kevin Tracks:
    Kevin TAT Ozark Natl Forest.JPG

Sam's Tracks:
    Sam TAT Ozark Natl Forest.JPG
    scout68 likes this.
  20. greentouring99

greentouring99 n00b

Oddometer:
    Cool. I reached the same conclusion about TAT tracks last year, so I downloaded Kevin’s to my iPhone and massaged them to fit on an old Garmin Zumo. Kevin’s are cool cause they offer the easier tracks for Big Adventure bikes too.