2018 TAT Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by DeeGeeF, Feb 10, 2017.

1. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I bought a Zumo 590 few years ago after having a Zumo 550 for about 9 years or so.

590 performed flawlessly last year. Just follow the colored line although you still have to keep your eye out for a quick turn.

I heard some inmates used maps and roll charts. Hat's off to them! Seriously, No way I could have done that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  2. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond.

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
    Departure date of 6/18/18 from TN still on. I plan to use GPS with Sam's maps as backup. I never travel anywhere without a map.
    scanda likes this.
  3. Dirt = Life

Dirt = Life Living of water, loving on dirt.

Oddometer:
    My TAT adventure is still on for a departure from NY around 10th July.
    I will be flying the bike in to Montreal and do the scenic route down to New York and from then i just stick to Kevins trail until i reach the pacific.
    Then slab it up to Vancouver and return to Denmark.
    It could be cool to meet up with anybody else starting on the trail around that time.

See you out there.
    Dirt.
    scout68 likes this.
  4. vt700guy

vt700guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted on another TAT thread, but wanted to let you guys know as well. I'm in NW Oklahoma if anyone needs any help along the way.
  5. wadethewanderer

Oddometer:
    Starting in Dayton TN 6/18/18 and going as far as my crazy life/ schedule will allow, to include OR. Let me know where you guys are gonna be.
  6. wadethewanderer

Oddometer:
    I will also on the TAT starting 6/18/18 from Dayton, TN. Hope to cross paths with you guys.
  7. wadethewanderer

Oddometer:
    Planning to do the first leg (Cape Hatteras to Dayton, TN) in May. Then, on June 18th, continue to Oklahoma or points beyond.
  8. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Wadethewanderer,

I am planning a TAT meetup near the Ozark National Forest portion of TAT 06/16 - 06/17. We are then continuing on to Trinidad to meetup with another rider and continuing TAT.

Welcome to join us. PM me if interested.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    scout68 likes this.
  9. mud-or-dust

mud-or-dust DR650

Oddometer:
    I'm starting in Helena, Arkansas on Aug 11th. So far, i'm solo but would be interested in a companion. I'm riding for 2 weeks, however far that gets me, then have to turn back home. I'll be stealth camping as much as I can.
  10. Dilligaf75

Dilligaf75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are still looking for someone to ride with for a bit as your date gets closer, let me know. I am a mid 40's and semi retired/self employed and have the ability to leave on a whim for an indefinite timeframe. I have ridden the eastern TAT solo on a KLR up through Trinidad in 2012 and 2014, and rode the CDR with a group of 5 in 2014. Messed up my back on that trip and haven't done much long distance adventure riding the past few years. I am now on a f800gsa and routinely make my way down to southern IL and over to some property I have in the Ozarks in MO. I am not much into stealth camping though and prefer to hit the state parks with hot showers when available.
  11. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to hearing how your trip goes. Hope you can post some real time updates for those of us not on the TAT yet.

Planning a two part TAT in 2021 with my son after graduation from college.

I’m close to memphis, and happy to help in any way if you get in the &@&$&@ and need it. Decent shop, trailer, lots of local help around here.

Good riding.
    wadethewanderer likes this.
  12. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think your trip qualifies as “TAT extra grande” ! Or something like that...

I’m fascinated by your plans...have you ridden the US previously ? Your route sounds like a dream ride.

Solo?
  13. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an incredible route. Have you ridden the US previously ? Solo ?

Good luck and hope you plan on posting ride report as you go. You’re perspective would probably be a great read .....
  14. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve spent most of his past winter reading every ride report I can on the TAT. If you haven’t already done so , it’s been a wealth of wisdom for me in planning. Some of the most memorable have been in the “epic ride section” of the forum, see authors like pittsdriver, two rats on the TAT, trogdor rides the TAT, dumbrakes, kawikaze....to name a few great reads.

I’m sure you’ve probably found these, but there are a couple of you tube gems......Ramine mirdamadi’s TAT ride video is well done for essentially a GoPro home movie....and moto trek adventures guys have just finished theirs, though far too much pavement for me.

Just ideas.

Peace
  15. Dirt = Life

Oddometer:
    Hi Scout.

Did a solo ride some years ago riding the state line of Texas on a rented F800GS. My brothers inlaws live in Dallas so i started there and headed for houston then turned right and followed the coast and border until i reached the state line where i turned right again and so on. I am sure you get it. :y0!
    Gotta say it was a brilliant trip, fanastic and varied scenery all the way around. Tried to stay of the pavement as far as possible but it ended being mostly small paved roads. Still good fun.

The TAT has been on the bucket list for some time and now i have the vacation time to do it. I am not reall planning on doing the big as-you-ride-from-day-to-day-report but i will take a few pics and do a little story when i get back home.
    Really looking forward seeing your neck of the woods, as long as i dont run into some bald banjo-playing kid in the Tenessee forrests all should be good. :amazon

Dirt
  16. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah , that movie has left an indelible mark upon the south to say the least.

West Tennessee, where I currently live and where I was raised, unfortunately specializes in flat terrain, shifty gravel roads, financial blight, racial social unrest, and homicide. But like all of us, im learning to enjoy the slim dual-sport opportunities that are around.

I have family from southern and west Texas, beautiful country and people.

I ride a KLR, but share a love for the f800gs, and rode one across Ecuador last summer to see my oldest daughter where she teaches in a jungle school.

If you need anything while you are traveling TN/MS don’t hesitate to PM/email. I’m an hour from Corinth MS. I have a decent shop, storage, trailer, etc. you’re welcome to whatever I have as you travel.

Good riding. And good luck
  17. Dirt = Life

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up on the natives and terrain.
    I've raced motocross and enduro's since my early teens so the terrain should be possible to overcome. Even though i have begun using diameter in stead of circumference when bying pants. :jkam

Thanks for the offer Scout, i will keep that in mind as i head south.

Happy trails.
    Dirt.
    scout68 likes this.
  18. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Holler if you need any help in or around memphis. I know I’m not on the TAT, but I’m close, and more than happy to help a fellow adv rider.

And my wife is a Tarheel!!!! I married way up the ladder.

Good riding.
    wadethewanderer likes this.
  19. wadethewanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Scout!
  20. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your “phase one” is exactly what I was thinking for fitting the tat into my work schedule. Just curious , how many days did You spend from outer banks to Trinidad. And we’re you busting ass the whole way or knocking off late afternoon ?