2018 Tiger 800XRx RH Heated Grip Removal?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by mcman56, May 8, 2021.

1. mcman56

mcman56 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To remove the electronic throttle assembly, I need to slide off the RH heated throttle sleeve. One set of instructions I found say to simply slide it off but the wires for the heated grips only let it go a few inches. It looks like the wires enter the handlebars on the left hand size but when I try to push the wires in further I get Little process. Still, I would need to find a connector to totally remove the grip / wire from the throttle assembly. Has anyone done this? Does moving the LH switch assembly help? The manual shows a special tool. Is there another way?

I don't know if it makes a difference but the manual does not match this bike. The manual shows a switch assembly/ throttle combination. This bike has a separate switch housing and throttle.
  2. GabbysGarage

GabbysGarage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh boy! This is more fun than being poked in the eye ;) So you need to...
    1. Remove the right-hand mirror.
    2. Remove the front brake MC and disconnect the signal wires from the MC.
    3. Undo the RH button cluster thingie and disconnect and near connectors.
    4. Remove handlebar (might also be good to take the clutch perch off).
    5. Shimmy the tube off, gently feeding wire in at the point (s/b near clutch perch) the wires enter the bar.
    6. The connector will come out, it's about 2" in the bar.

Warning!! Pull to hard and the connector can come off. This sucks because then you need to replace the connector.
  3. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've only installed the heated grips, but with the handguard end removed you should be able to fish the wires out and disconnect the connector just on the throttle side with the grip still in place. Once that's done you can open up the right switchgear and slide the throttle tube off.
  4. mcman56

mcman56 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The wires are very reluctant to slide in from the LH side. Is there a secret? If I could move the LH switch assembly a little, it looks like it would give some more clearance, However, it requires a special tool. Can this be done with a screw driver? Is the retaining clip metal? See pictures.

Grip Wires.JPG

Switch Tool.png
  5. GabbysGarage

GabbysGarage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well now... that's just stupid. You'll need to get that switch housing off to move wires freely.

I looked up the tool (circled in red) and it looks like a feeler gage may work better than a screw driver.

Seriously though this shit is why, if picking a replacement today, I wouldn't get a new Tiger.

Attached Files:

6. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you take out the screws that hold the switch housing together, I think any flat head screwdriver or a paperclip works, but it's been a while since I was in there. I think it's just some spring steel that catches a notch.
  7. mcman56

mcman56 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On this model the switch housings are held together with tamper proof (non removable) screws but I can't imagine why. When I look through the tunnel the special tool goes through, the right and left switch housings are different. The right side has a little lever that looks like it could be pushed down...although I did not try it. The left side just has what looks like a flat ended piece. I tried pushing on that with a screwdriver but it did not want to budge. Opposite to the tunnel sides, the switch housings look the same so the back side of the retainer must be the same. This is quite odd. I guess I can try a separate posting to try and understand. Anyway, after removing the bars and using some silicone lubricant on the wires, I was able to get the heated grip off.