2018 - Trans Taiga - Caniapiscau - The North Road - Part two

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CavReconSGT, Feb 6, 2018.

1. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Time to start a thread of my intentions this year. In 2016 I had decided for my first motorcycle ride, solo, that I wanted to go to Caniapiscau. That didn't work out for me. I did get to James Bay and saw the sights in the area and truly had a great time. In 2017 I did the Trans Labrador highway including Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. That was another great trip but I still wanted to get to Caniapiscau before 2019 which will be my trip to Deadhorse Alaska and many other spots of interest along the way. I didn't do the Caniapiscau part of the trip because I felt at the time that the Trans Taiga was too difficult for me. Since then I have added several hundred miles of gravel riding. I still don't know if I can do that trip but I do want to go to that area again and try. I also intend to camp at Long Point this trip and include The North road as well on this trip. Lots of gravel this time. I also realized that the amount of extra gas I was carrying in 2016 was probably not enough. I carried 4 extra gallons but that was probably not enough. I will be carrying 4 extra gallons again but I have added a Camel tank so that is another almost 2 gallons including the 4 gallons additional. That is probably a gallon more than I need but it was no problem carrying those Rotopax last time so I am not worried about that. Other additions besides the Camel Tank are wireless controller for my heated gear, two outputs but probably will only use a jacket if needed. A new wireless Bluetooth transmitter for communications into the helmet from my GPS. I will be doing other maintenance on the bike over the spring. New TKC80 tires with Ride-on added. I have been using both on my trips and am a firm believer is this setup. The tires last me about one season of riding but the traction on all manner of asphalt, concrete, wet roads, gravel, sand, etc. makes it worth it to me. My system has been working good for me and there will probably be few additions to my packing list except, I want to bring my small drone, a DJI Spark. Haven't flown it a lot but the little I have done I have enjoyed it very much. I am very tight on space so that will be optional but I really do want to bring it, and my gold pan this trip. My other hobby is as a Amateur radio operator. I have in the past when I use to do a lot of back-country camping take my HF radio and talk to people back in Southern New England some nights, on 5 watts, for fun. That is also on the list of possibilities though, again, I'm not sure I will have the room to bring the equipment.

[​IMG]

KR
    crk, Folly1, bobw and 3 others like this.
  2. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When are you planning on tackling the Trans Taiga?
    Where are you leaving from?
    Are you going up to Radisson as well?
    Riding up through Parent?

Can you tell I’m interested,

I ride the TT out to Caniapiscau in 2016 and would love to do it again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

I am leaving from CT and currently the date set is 8/4/18.

I need to stop in Radisson for gas but don't currently plan on staying there. I did stay in the Auberge last time for a couple of nights and have to admit I enjoyed it considerably. What's in Parent?

Currently I plan on doing this ride solo again.

KR
    soberjoe likes this.
  4. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    Gotcha
    Parent, Qc is a stop along some wicked gravel roads heading up to the North Road at Chibougamou

CavReconSGT likes this.
  5. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

I will look into those roads. Didn't mean to sound harsh there either. I did it last time solo and really just enjoyed myself so much. I love the freedom of getting up, leaving, stopping, changing plans, etc. without second thoughts. Not that I haven't enjoyed riding in small groups.

KR
    bobw and soberjoe like this.
  6. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    Haha, no worries man, I get it completely.
    I’m looking forward to the ride report

CavReconSGT likes this.
  7. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

I am now looking at a two day alternate ride that includes the blank area of the map through Parent. Thanks for this heads up. Che de Parent ->Rt 404->Rt 1009.

Not positive yet but I am seriously considering it. Thanks again for the information.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/46....2!1d-74.6235704!2d47.920763!1m0!1m0!3e0?hl=en

KR
    soberjoe likes this.
  8. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    You will not be disappointed

CavReconSGT likes this.
  9. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Have Fun!

One day I'll get back up there ....

Route Du Nord

[​IMG]

Long Pointe

[​IMG]

little dirt nap at the far end of the Caniapiscau Reservoir :)

[​IMG]
    bobw and CavReconSGT like this.
  10. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had great weather? Were you solo and when did you do the trip?

KR
  11. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    Weather was pretty good, sometimes cold with frost on the tents but less bugs. There were around 5 of us and we left after Labor Day weekend.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  12. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    A couple of more questions. What kind of speeds were you comfortable doing the North Road and Trans Taiga? Also, have you done the Trans Labrador and if you did, how did those gravel sections compare to those roads?

Appreciate hearing from someone who went through recently.

On my trip in 2016 I left Radisson on 8/6/2016 and I froze. 40 degrees and rain the whole way to Matagami, in the beginning of August. previous to that I had been sweating my can off in 90 degree weather.
    Last year we woke up to frost on our motorcycles in Gagnon. Never expected the temps to go below 45.

KR
  13. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    I did the Trans Lab the year the construction was still happening on the new section. Most of the TL was easier than the TT except on the TL where major construction was in progress with heavy machinery etc right there.

The TT and Route du Nord can vary from really hard to totally loose depending on when the grader had passed but generally OK. But ... always be on the lookout as riding on the hard packet sections can lull you into a relaxed state but passing can quickly get you into the soft stuff on the edges.

I recommend to everyone to get a steering damper, none on my GS on the TT but I did on my Super Enduro on the TL and it can make a wobbly 50 mph turn into a rock solid 80 mph with a turn of the dial :deal

And don't forget dust, lots of dust! Those logging trucks create a white-out where you have no idea where you're going and you just grip the bars and hold it straight and wait.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    jackoamerica, bobw and CavReconSGT like this.
  14. Workinstiff40

Workinstiff40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

Looking for you advice......I am considering the James Bay Road to Long Point June 30th thru July 5th, 2018 - leaving from Western Mass. I have a 5.3 gallon tank and 1.4 gallons of extra fuel tanks and my bike averages about 43 MPG. I think I will be fine regarding fuel, however in order to make the time and distance work, we are looking to a speed run to Matagami from Western MA to start and reversing the speed run end.

Our current plan is;

Day 1 700 miles to Matagami
    Day 2 450 miles to Long Pointe camp at Long Pointe or make a run back to Radisson for camping (are there showers at the campground in Radisson?)
    Day 3 Start the day with the Power plant tour, leave at noon to head south - either camp at a reasonable distance traveled or push to Matagami
    Day 4 Head back to Western, MA from Matagami or the camp spot.
    Day 5 contingency

A couple of questions-

How long are the days in the summer?
    Did you take the Power Plant tour?
    How is camping at Long Pointe coordinated as other sites / posts recommended coordination with local Cree folks before setting up camp.
    Advice regarding camping spots on the route is greatly appreciated as well.

Best regards,

Joe
  15. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I am not sure who you are asking but I'll offer my $.02.

I think you should be OK on gas providing you don't pass up any gas stations at Matagami and Relais routier Km 381 and Radisson. Plan where they are and always fill up.
    I took the Damn Dam tour. They have two different tours. One is all in French at LaGrande 1 and the other one is in English at Robert Borrosa Dam. That was the one I took. I thought it was well worth the time.
    I have been on the Long Pointe road but not to the shore where I am going to camp this time. It is all Crown land so you can camp virtually everywhere.
    When I went up last time I camped off a side road on the way to Joutel off of highway 109 towards Matagami. I stayed at a hotel in Matagami and Radisson. There is a campground in Radisson but I don't know about its accommodations.

You know your riding abilities better than I but for me that would be a very aggressive ride in terms of time, especially the first and last days.

KR
    bobw likes this.
  16. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    CavReconSGT and bobw like this.
  17. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    I 'think' the campground in Radisson has showers but we camped there after Labor Day so all the buildings were closed.
  18. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    The camp ground in Radisson definitely has showers - very clean and the water is hot!
    There is also a laundry room with 2 washers and 2 dryers - so you can take care of your stinky base layers there too!

Dan Alexander likes this.
  19. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    So, I figured I would update people on what is going on. First it is still mostly cold and snowy (Nor'easter expected tonight) at time here so I am relegated to mostly thinking of my trip and trying to fit in time to work on the bike. I am taking SoberJoe's advice and am including the drive through Parent as part of my trip. I am recalculating where my overnight stops will be and recalculating the overall time for trip. I can't take more than 16 days.

I will re-post the new route when I have it figured out. As usual, my plans are just that. A blueprint. Something I will try to do. It could change on the trip but it is a starting point.

I am moving my handlebars up with some Rok Risers and also have a new used bracket to move my GPS up off of my handlebars. I think that will improve the readability. Problem is that the bracket doesn't fit. It's not the brackets problem. A couple of years ago I added LED lights to my bike from Cyclops. I love the LED's but it has a fan on the end of it so that means that it needs a bigger cap. With that cap on the headlight assembly the housing won't fit back into it's spot because the bracket prevents it. I thought about cutting the cap. I also thought about reverse engineering the cap and making a new one with my 3D printer. I don't think either of those will ultimately work and have opted for grinding the bracket so it fits. I don't think that it will substantively reduce the strength of the bracket and it is the only way to be sure the headlight assembly fits.

As part of this panel upgrade I am going to install a USB adapter with two outputs each of 2.1 amps and it will also show current voltage. Not required but more of a why not. The other side I am planning on probably mounting my wireless heater control from my heated gear. I am still examining if I really want to do this as it will make changing the batteries more difficult but it would display nice and be handy to change the settings.

I also have bought some Rok Risers from an inmate and will also be installing that. I believe that they will make riding more comfortable, especially when standing on the pegs.

Updated route to include route through Parent

upload_2018-3-7_12-57-11.png

KR
    bobw, Dan Alexander and djroszina like this.
  20. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    I'll recommend a steering damper, made a big difference on my Super Enduro when running the soft gravel.
    CavReconSGT likes this.