2018 - Trans Taiga - Caniapiscau - The North Road - Part two

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CavReconSGT, Feb 6, 2018.

1. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I keep thinking about that. So I expect it basically damps out high frequency motion. The Scott's is like $500. What are you using and can you recommend one that you think does the job for around $200 that won't require me to re-engineer the bike?

KR
  2. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  3. zixxerboy

zixxerboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode the Taiga in 2016 with three other guys all on KLRs. We got to the JBR by way of the Rue Nord. We carried an extra gallon of gas but didn't need it. There are a couple outfitters on the TT that sell gas and a float plane outfitter at the VERY end (80kms of worse gravel past the Hydro dam). Gas was 10$ per gallon but you don't need much on a KLR.
    We mostly rough camp but there is almost no where to pull off on the TT except for unused native hunt camps. That's where we spent a couple of nights.
    bobw likes this.
  4. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    This was a question. I have heard that there is gas at the end and that there wasn't gas at the end. I am not counting on it but it adds possibilities if there is. I keep thinking that I would nice to "look" at the road that is south of Brisay. I haven't heard of anyone that has traveled that part of the road. Having the extra fuel stop at the end in Caniapiscau makes that much more of a possibility.

KR
  5. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    Yup, the outfitter at the end was open when we were there. There was a float plane at the dock unloading a mess of caribou antlers so I think in hunting season they'll be sure to be open.

We camped at a gravel pit along the TT and at the bridge over the Rupert on the Route du Nord.

A guy who worked for Hydro Quebec said it was possible to get from the Route du Nord to the TT somewhere in the middle but who knows how bad of a trail it would be.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  6. scratchypants

scratchypants Loathes the impolite

Oddometer:
    As of this year, no more caribou hunting in Quebec. That's going to have a big impact on float plane/outfitter activity.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  7. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

I've seen that spot on the TT on google earth. I think that is listed as a campground.

Being able to get from the North road to the TT would be cool but nothing on any of the maps I have seen show that as possible. If anyone has done that I would love to know about it. I am not sure it is actually a road? Maybe a trail? It would be very interesting though.

KR
  8. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    didn't know that, that might have a big effect on that place being open at certain times even though the hydro trucks must need to get gas there.

So figure a fill up at Mirage Outfitters and km 358, ride out to Caniapiscau at km 666 plus getting to the other side of the dam and back to 666 and then back to km 358 for more gas. You need a range of at least 650km, better to have 700
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  9. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gas station, Trans Taiga style!

23D540F3-1AAC-46BC-926B-069EC9FEE6BC.png

My buddy and I fueled up at Mirage, and carried an extra 6 gallons each. We made it to the end and back to Mirage on that, refueled again, and continued on to the camp ground at Bourassa Reserviour. (We “camped” at the Brisay Belvedere overlooking the power station.)
  10. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I am carrying an extra 4 gallons in 2 Rotopax containers and also have almost another 2 gallons in the Camel tank. This should give me a range of 450 miles at 45 MPG which makes my trip with a little insurance, gas wise, if I cannot resupply in Caniapiscau from the fill-up at Mirage.

At the Brisay Belvedere on the TT did you camp on the hill, or the parking lot or in the structure (if that is still there)?

KR
    jlambo and soberjoe like this.
  11. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    We made Mirage in the rain and dark the first day, then went to the end and back to Brisay where we used the lookout, then camped at Bourassa Res. on the way out on day three. About a hundred miles of fresh grading had occurred by day three. This is the view of the power station from the lookout building. A truck drove up about 10pm, but then just drove back down. There are lots of bear in this area, scratches on the plywood door, trash messed up, piles of scat evvery where. (9/15)

5D6A2FB9-AA76-4534-AD94-D26C565CA25A.png
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  12. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did the MSR dromedary bags work? Which caps did you use for transport, the original caps or the spout caps? My concern is them opening inadvertantly and hope to get them secured in most effective way.
  13. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    The MSR bags are not rated for explosive fuels, so that makes them ripe for conversation. That said, I’ve carried them on the Trans Lab also, with no negative effects. I tested them by filling one, (2.5l), and leaving it on my driveway overnight. No drips, but you can smell gas. I put each filled bag inside a good quality dry bag to isolate the smell and reduce friction. Most of the time they’re empty, and when they’re full, as soon as I have room in the tanks, I use them. They carry on top of my panniers, draped over the duffle so they wouldn’t make contact if the beast tipped over. The best part is after use they just fold up and stow on top of anything inside their dry bags as they still smell, and there are no big plastic cans to carry around or get rid of. Either cap will work.
  14. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    not quite as elegant of a way to carry the gas but it works lol .....

[​IMG]
    djroszina, bobw, Tewster2 and 2 others like this.
  15. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Figured I should do another update.

Added the GPS holder to my bike. Not a small task because the Cyclops LED headlight had a large cap to include the fan in it. Because of that they make their own cap to put on the back of the headlight. It is much larger. Because of that the GPS mount wouldn't fit. In order to fit it, I determined that I would have to grind the mount. I did that. It came out good enough and it fits. Now my GPS had been moved from from the handlebars to this new mount. I will test it when I am able to get out for a ride. I think this will work out well though. I also added the Rok risers. I think those will make riding more comfortable also.

You can see the grinding to accommodate the cyclops cap.

No pictures of the Rox risers addition yet. I will post them later.

KR
    djroszina likes this.
  16. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    At least yours was upright.

1C123D21-8798-43FE-99C4-1FA0A4B615B7.jpeg
  17. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Well first time out this year. What a great day to ride. And the equipment changes, the GPS setup and the Rox risers are fantastic. I had forgot I put on the Rox risers and after riding for an hour or so I was amazed at how comfortable I was. Then I remembered I had put those on. What a difference the simple devices makes. I am planning on taking longer ride tomorrow and shake all the cobwebs out. God it felt good riding today.

KR
    Tewster2 and djroszina like this.
  18. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Another great day. 170 miles today. 250 miles of travel for the motorcycle start to the new year. I had planned to ride the NW Ct Dirt road mapping http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/northwest-ct-dirt-road-mapping-quest.904523/

Well I took the GPX file and made a route out of it and transferred it to my Montana from Basecamp. Checked it at home and it looked good to me. I rode the hour down to the start point and that worked flawlessly as usual. When I tried to run the route, it couldn't create the route. Bummer. So I road on the main roads from Southbury to Colebrook. Still a good ride but not the one I wanted. I may try again next week.

Anyways, great weekend, fantastic weather and really happy with the minor changes I have made to the bike.

KR
  19. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Well. Took a ride to our house in NH. I will be working up here for the week and my wife who is retired was driving up in the car so I could take the bike. A good test of my new setup. Well not more than 5 miles left in the 200 mile trip, I hit a flying bowling ball. A god damned turkey. I lucked out in the sense that I was uninjured and there is slight damage to the bike. The worst of it was the GPS holder that I worked so hard to fit and attach. Its is so busted that the welds are broken and is bent bad enough that I don't thinks its salvageable. I may have to put the old mount for the GPS back on. That really bums me out because of all the work I put into it and how well it was working out. Video is available. Be aware that the turkey practically exploded so there is a mess. Also, forgive the music. Could not find a way to not have music. You can see the damage to the GPS holder after the collision.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

KR
    GravelRider likes this.
  20. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bummer, glad you’re OK. On a positive note, you really don’t need GPS at all for this trip. You’ve studied the route, and let’s face it , once you get above the 48th parallel, there just aren’t that many roads, you’d have to try really hard to get lost or even make a wrong turn. I had the Quebec map book along for my trip, and did not use a GPS, nor did I use one on my Trans Lab trip. You’ll be fine, ride, have a blast, make time to hang a little with the Cree and other locals, enjoy!

Edit: Way to hang on to it after the strike, especially with that oncoming car!
    CavReconSGT likes this.