2018 - Trans Taiga - Caniapiscau - The North Road - Part two

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CavReconSGT, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    wow, lucky that bird strike wasn't a bit higher up and hit you
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  2. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It was still a wild ride but yeah, I was lucky on several accounts. I know that trip doesn't require one but I am planning on being on some of the dirt back-roads in Parent on this trip also. I can easily add the GPS again on the the handlebars like it was before. Its just the amount of time and effort that's shot to hell. Also I have a fairing that is cracked and some other items that are messed up. All in all though, at least I came out better than the turkey.

KR
    jlambo likes this.
  3. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I worked as an EMT on my local fire department for over a decade. I always say that the difference between life and death/serious injuries are only inches and seconds.

KR
    Dan Alexander likes this.
  4. Bike Nomad

Bike Nomad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of your mishap, glad you are OK. Years ago whilst pedaling up a very steep long hill on a mountain bike at crawling speed I had a wild turkey come out of the trees from behind me at about a 30 degree angle to the road. I heard a kerfuffle of feathers, started to turn my head a bit to see what it was and came within a couple of inches of taking a turkey to the face. Nearly knocked me over, but my younger self's reflexes recovered in time. Good job keeping the bike upright after that impact you had.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  5. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following along, since I'll be riding the Trans Taiga next month.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  6. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    OK. The latest. The bike goes in for its 12000 mile check. I remounted the GPS back to the handlebars. Still doing the countdown.

[​IMG]

Bummer, but it is what it is.

KR
  7. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Hey, sorry for what may be an obvious question, but I haven't found an answer anywhere. What's the gas situation on the Route du Nord? What's the longest stretch between gas stations? Google says there's a truck stop near Nemiscau about two thirds of the way from Chibougamau to the James Bay Road, which looks to be a stretch of a little over 200 miles; anything else in between?

Thanks!

--mark
  8. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

Not that I am planning on. There are no others on the road that I know of.

When you say the longest stretch. The longest stretch on my trip is 400 miles on the Trans Taiga. From Mirage to the end of the road and back to Mirage. If there is gas at the the end that is reliable then its half that. My understanding is that the gas at the end of the road is not to be counted on. Others are going to reply whether you can rely on that gas in Caniapiscau I'm hoping in anther thread.
  9. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    I still haven't heard back from the fuel place in Caniapiscau. I sent two emails. Not a good sign of reliability. I'm going to assume there is no fuel there, and plan accordingly.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  10. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Currently my launch date is 8/4/18. You think you will be back by then?

KR
  11. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    It looks like there is no fuel from Chibougamau to Nemaska, which is about 205 miles.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  12. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Same here. Everything I have read, but most is somewhat older, is not to depend on that fuel being available. They are under no obligation to sell it go you, is my understanding, with hours that make up as they need to be there.

KR
    GravelRider likes this.
  13. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Definitely. I'm leaving 7/18/18, and I've got eight days. I'll report back when I find out. I'll ask about your dates. When do you think you'll be in Caniapiscau?
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  14. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Around 8/10 and 8/11. That is extremely tentative though. I mean I am hoping that my skill level has improved to the point that I can do the road. I definitely didn't feel comfortable in 2016 when I only road the Trans Taiga a couple of miles and abandoned the idea of doing the full road. I actually might not have had enough fuel after I started recalculating everything also. With the 4 extra gallons in the Rotopax and also the 2 extra gallons from the Camel tank I should be OK this year on fuel.

I have a habit of wandering and/or speeding the schedule up. That is why I like riding alone so much. Last time it allowed me to see a 2000' deep gold mine and get a tour down inside.

KR
  15. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm talking Route du Nord only, not Trans-Taiga. I know that one has long stretches with unreliable fuel. But I've never seen anyone mention the distance between gas stops on the Route du Nord, so I don't know how infrequent or how unreliable they are. My KTM can easily do 205 miles on a single tank; but if the gas in Nemaska is closed and my only choices are the station at the James Bay Road intersection and Chibougamau, I'll definitely need to carry extra.

--mark
  16. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I assume you are traveling north. The next closest gas that I know of after leaving Chibougamau is the Relais Routier at KM 381 on the James bay road. That would add at least another 107 to 133 miles from Nemaska depending on the route you take. I don't know why the station at Nemaska would be closed though.

KR
  17. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Google Maps claims there's a gas station at the intersection of the Route du Nord and the James Bay Road.

I tried to get a look at these various stations on satellite imagery, but the resolution isn't high enough.

--mark
  18. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I rode past there in 2016 and I don't think that it is really there. I remember seeing that on google also but I don't believe it exists. I have never heard anyone reference that and like I said, I don't think that it exists. Relais Routier at km381 is the only gas people talk about on the James Bay road between Matagami until Raddison.

KR
    GravelRider likes this.
  19. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Unless they just built in the last few years, it isn't there. When I was there in 2014 the only gas station on the James Bay Road is at km 381.
  20. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is fuel at the man camp just east of Nemaska, and in the town itself. You can either continue on the North Road to the James Bay road, or head north then west on the road next to the man camp to get to the James Bay road, ( refer to my RR for that info). If you do take the newer road, which is awesome, expect to come out 12 kms north of the 381 service station on the James Bay road. You need to end up here either way as it is still a long way to Radison or the Cree town before Long Point(name escapes me). There is no gas at James Bay road/North road, km 381 is north of there and is the only gas. We didnt try for gas at the end of the TT, we filled everything at Mirage, 11+ gallons, and had enough to make it back there two days later.
    JohnfromJersey and CavReconSGT like this.