2018 - Trans Taiga - Caniapiscau - The North Road - Part two

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CavReconSGT, Feb 6, 2018.

1. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:

This is my plan. I intend to do the North Road and then turn right onto Sarcelle road near Nemaska, expecting to fill up there, and then turn south on James bay road for a few kilometers to get gas again at KM 381 and then proceed back north on the James Bay road to the Trans Taiga.

I think you are thinking of Chisasibi.

KR
  2. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Great info, thanks guys!

Oh, jlambo -- ironically, your rescheduling of your TT/etc trip resulting in Eldor's inability to come along meant that he joined up with my friends and me for a few days on our Maritimes/Cote Nord trip in September 2015. Small world! :jack

--mark
  3. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn, KR. I swear you and I are doing exactly the same trip, just with you about a month ahead of me. FYI I think I have all my stops worked out to hit the the end of the TT, Long Point, and Casey Airfield in 9 days 8 nights. I just bought a Garmin inReach Mini for the trip. I leave 63 days from tomorrow.
    I think it’s time we get together again over at CVB to compare notes.
    (I thought I tagged this thread a while back, but I haven’t gotten any updates on it until I just tripped across it now.)
  5. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI, my plan is to leave CT Sept 1. First night just a little up the gravel NW from Lebel sur Quevillion. Second night 50 or so miles up the TT. Third night at the end of the TT. Fourth night somewhere back down the TT. Fifth night Long Point. Sixth night North Road east of Nemaska (via Sarcalle Road and Opinaca Dam). Seventh night Casey Airfield. Eighth night abandoned air strip 60 miles NW of Mont Laurier.
    First day is 700 miles, almost all pavement. Second day is mostly pavement, too. Last day 500 miles, all pavement. Gravel days about 350-400 miles each. This may be ambitious. But obviously I’ll adjust as I go.
    We really need to do a beer at CVB and talk.
  6. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    That sounds great. Maybe on Sunday? Send me a message.

KR
  7. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I am going to cross post this at the BAIE JAMES, ROUTE DU NORD, TRANS TAIGA ~A GO-GO! thread.

I found this online. I called the number but it went to a mailbox. I may try to call again and see if I can get some answers. It does say it sells regular gas. I don't know what the hours of operation are or if it is always available.
    upload_2018-7-3_16-9-12.png

KR
  8. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    WOW. Got through. If you are running in there after mid September you should call to make sure.

1. it opens July 4 and closes around the first week of October but that is a little variable so call after maybe mid September.
    2. Arriving between 0900 and 2000 you should be able to get fuel.
    3. I did not ask the price because, you have to know that it is going to cost you. I would go in looking pitiful and weak. :imaposer

Those are the takeaways that I got from the women who answered. She was very nice and her English was much better than my French but I would suggest if you are going to depend on this you verify what I was told.

I used the number listed in the above photo.

KR
    GravelRider and soberjoe like this.
  9. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's good to hear. Thanks for posting this!

I still don't know if this is going to change my fuel carrying plans... As I don't fully trust they'll be open when I'm there.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  10. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, definitely thanks Keith for that recon. I think I’ll still leave km 381 with enough gas for a round trip to Mirage, and Mirage with enough gas for a round trip to Caniapiscau. I’m probably going to be short enough on time that little more than a straight out and back will be possible, so if I can’t do any exploring out there I may not fill up past Mirage even if the other places are open.

But who knows? If I can get to Caniapiscau in three days from here, I’ll be in good shape. It all depends on how long it takes to ride the length of the TT, and that’s all dependent upon road surface and weather. I can easily get 50 miles up the TT from here in two days. But can I do the remaining 375 on the third day? I guess I’ll find out in 61 days...
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  11. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I was going to carry 4 extra gallons. I am not sure that has changed. I am probably going to still carry that amount but I am going to do more thinking on it. I certainly gives me options with respect to the southern route at Brisay.

KR
  12. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Changing the front tire. Already changed the rear. Somehow I managed to snap off the RDC by not paying attention. The RDC appears to be OK but I won't know that until I fix the bolt that holds it in place on the rim and refill the tire. The aluminum bolt sheared right off. Luckily I can replace the bolt fairly inexpensively and the dealer has one in stock. I am hoping that I didn't also destroy the sensor. I am picking up the part at noon and will replace it tonight and find out if it is going to really cost me. Those sensors are expensive.

Most of my other work is done. Some rearrangement of items and testing my packing. I also installed my new windshield from an inmate here I want to test out.

18 days before launch for me.

KR
    GravelRider likes this.
  13. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Oh man, I hope you get everything straightened out quickly.
  14. GravelRider

Oddometer:
  15. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

Thanks Max. Got the new tire back on the rim with the new bolt. Have to put it on the bike and test now. It was freaking hot last night so I gave up after mounting the tire. Good luck on your trip. I will be following it.

KR
  16. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Well finally some good news with my work on the bike. I have the tires back on with the new rubber and tada..... The front sensor seems to be working. I need to deflate both and add the Ride-on into both tires and reinflate. Most of my other remaining items on my punch list should go much smoother, here's hoping.

KR
    AdvRich likes this.
  17. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Good news. Deflated the tires, added Rideon and then reinflated tires and ran them out on the road and all seems well. Getting ready to make a short run fully loaded.

Also getting ready to start the ride report thread and place a link to that URL here when I do.

KR
  18. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Took a short ride today. The weather here has been miserable and I have been working to finish the last items left on my punch list before I leave. I really do like the windshield that I put on and the tires are good and holding air. Everything I have tested seems to work good. I need to load the bike fully and take it out for one more run and then I will be ready for the trip.
  19. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I have got my bike mostly setup. Just a few tweaks before I take off on Saturday. I will probably have one more installment here that will include the Spotwalla site that you should be able to track me on as well as the URL for the forum spot where the ride report will be. Also I have created this simple sheet to show me gas mileages between stops. If you use this, use it carefully as it is based on the routes I am planning on doing so the mileage could be different.

upload_2018-7-31_14-46-43.png
  20. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    GravelRider likes this.