2019.2 Trans Florida Rally (Part Deux)

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by kaosrider, Jul 15, 2019.

1. kaptkaos

kaptkaos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I am about to pull the trigger on a like new 2018 ATAS DCT with 4000 miles and comes with hard cases. I am able to get it for $10500 OTD. I think this is a great deal, I am sure I can get a 16-17 for under $8k, but I think this is a great deal for an 18, in the 30th anniversary colors, which I love. What do you guys think? I know you may chide me about the DCT, but I have several other manual bikes and this is a unique opp. I do want the DCT on this bike. One less thing to worry about in the deep Florida Sugar sand...
    Huzband likes this.
  2. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    Deep Florida sand and heavy pig = :muutt

The AT is a good looking bike and capable but you have to be honest on what you'll be able to do with it... and deep sand isn't fun on a 500# bike.

Just my $.02.
    Madhouse likes this.
  3. kaptkaos

kaptkaos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I am getting an ADV, not a true DS, so whether its an AT or BMW its gonna suck in the sand. A KTM 790 would be great, but I am not owning any KTM bike! I see good riders riding these things in the dunes....I guess I need to man up.

What do you think about the price?
  4. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    Don't have to be an ace rider to ride a KTM... you just need to know how to ride. :deal

Good price on the AT IMO.
    bigblueboy likes this.
  5. tomarsyd

tomarsyd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want to do big miles, you'll want a big bike. If you want to master dirt/sand/woods riding, get a small(er) bike.
    I love my R1200GS, but I would've failed miserably riding that bike had I not started (learned) on my WR250R. I think it's invaluable to learn to ride off road on a small bike. I did the trans-florida 3 or 4 times on my WR.

I still consider myself a total noob to this motorcycle riding thing so take it for what it's worth.

I love the AT as well, it was at the top of my list when I did start to shop for a bigger bike.
    Huzband likes this.
  6. ADVNeophyte

ADVNeophyte How do you do this?

Oddometer:
    KaptKaos I ride a '17 DCT AT and enjoy the heck out of it, with no issues or regrets. I went through almost purchasing a Triumph Tiger to almost purchasing a BMW GS/A, to purchasing an AT over the course of a year and half. I haven't found anything yet that I wasn't afraid to put it through. Yes I have gotten it stuck is some deep sand, and gotten it out without issue but that is all part of the fun. The ATAS has quite a few more modes than my NON-AS. That price point seems to be pretty good OTD. Just my.02
    Huzband and twotime like this.
  7. twotime

twotime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KaptKaos I ride a '17 DCT AT and enjoy the heck out of it, with no issues or regrets. I went through almost purchasing a Triumph Tiger to almost purchasing a BMW GS/A, to purchasing an AT over the course of a year and half. I haven't found anything yet that I wasn't afraid to put it through. Yes I have gotten it stuck is some deep sand, and gotten it out without issue but that is all part of the fun. The ATAS has quite a few more modes than my NON-AS. That price point seems to be pretty good OTD. Just my.02

:clap WHAT HE SAID :clap
  8. kaptkaos

kaptkaos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow is the day I go to Tampa to get my 2018 ATAS....looking forward to riding one of these events! I am thinking I need to get tires first as the stocks suck off road. Thinking Mitas E07 or Shinko 705 or 805. What works best in the Central FL sand on a heavy ADV?
    pro69ss likes this.
  9. KirkN

KirkN Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Prayer?

:D
    waybill and Huzband like this.
  10. Ken Hooligan

Ken Hooligan aka Hooligan LT

Oddometer:
    I've heard good things about motoz tractionators
  11. CammasterD

CammasterD n00b

Oddometer:
    So far my buddy likes his Tractionators GPS better than the Shinko 804/805 on his '16 AT DCT, but mostly because of the better on road performance.
    Good luck getting the ATAS! I just rode my '17 AT up from Tampa last weekend. Nice ride if you skip the highway and wander through the middle of the state.
  12. ADVNeophyte

ADVNeophyte How do you do this?

Oddometer:
    I have run the pirelli scorpions and the shinkos. The pirellis are great tires but I think the shinkos have the edge in the sand there is a little bit more spacing between the blocks to give you a little more bite. Plus the shinkos are much cheaper than the pirellis. Can’t speak to the mitas as I have no experience with them.
  13. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @kaptkaos I like the 2018 ATAS DCT so much that I bought another after I totaled my first. If you want knobbies, get the Tractionators, but they howl on the road badly. Everything else is a compromise off road. I've run the Shinkos, Mitas 07, MotoZ, and stock. If you get the tractionators, make sure to get the MK2 for the front. The MK1 is horrible.

If you get an ATAS you will likely experience the fuel strainer clogging problem. I had it on both bikes. It's not near as bad a problem as the internet makes it out to be. It takes about 2 hours to fix permanently and costs nothing. Other than that, set up your suspension and get some bark busters. I think the ATAS is a much better bike than the 16-17's but I'm biased.
  14. kaptkaos

kaptkaos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I had my first experience on this big beast in sugar sand today. Currently icing a severly sprained knee, lucky it wasnt a broken tib fib. I was riding like a goon and dabbing and paddling in the deep sand, and washed out and got it stuck under the stock Honda panniers damaging them and my knees! So for now, healing my knee and planning to get some sand skills without panniers! I plan to only use hard panniers on road tours, never again off road. I will be shopping some soft bags. For now Ocala will have to wait bc I was not happy with a few 75 ft sand pits, not ready for miles of it.
  15. onebadscrambler

onebadscrambler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For you kaptkaos. One little road in Ocala.
    kaptkaos likes this.
  16. kaptkaos

kaptkaos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mostly enduro bikes out there. I should rent one and build the sand skills.