1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2019-20 Forza 300

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Mar 9, 2018.

1. 87112

87112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it looks like an owl eyes looking at you, the Xmax is kind of like that too.
  2. Lethe.au

Lethe.au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone seen any pics of the front storage areas, or even just firsthand reports as to their practicality?

Also, does the underseat storage have a courtesy light?
  3. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Lethe.au it doesn't seem to have a courtesy light. X-MAX 300 has one but placed rather low, it will get covered easily.

See this video for storage, it's a 125 version sold in Europe, same as 300.

Storage starts @ 06:54
    Lethe.au likes this.
  4. Lethe.au

Lethe.au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info and video DRO4. One other thing I'm curious about is the locking mechanism or lack thereof for the front storage compartments.

Honda Australia doesn't seem to know anything about the smart top box that accompanies the European advertising, and info beyond that is difficult enough to find that I suspect availability is limited/non-existent elsewhere also.
  5. Lethe.au

Lethe.au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a test ride on the new Forza 300. Observations:

-- fit and finish excellent, a clear step above the Xmax 300
    -- front storage compartment (there is only one, on the left hand side) does NOT lock, but it is quite deep and could easily accommodate e.g. a water bottle. Basically my hand disappeared almost up to my elbow.
    -- seat is very firm (firmer than stock Xmax seat) and (coming from a Majesty) I would definitely be looking to change it
    -- mirrors are fantastic (again, clear step above Xmax 300)
    -- would be nice if the moveable screen had a bit more travel, but still an excellent feature
    -- so quiet! (relative to 2001 Majesty 250)
    -- keyless system is easy enough to use although I'm not sure what the buttons on the actual key fob itself do.

Really, everything about the bike impressed me except for the seat. And the lack of information regarding accessories.
    Alexander B and conchscooter like this.
  6. Lethe.au

Lethe.au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I read on YouTube that the front storage compartment is locked when the steering wheel is locked. If true that is fantastic, but I am unable to personally confirm or deny.
  7. Lethe.au

Lethe.au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's not in English, but this video has some great 4K footage that really shows off the new Forza's fit and finish that isn't evident in a lot of other videos:

kpinvt, DRO4 and sro99 like this.
  8. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Video has English subtitles if you click the CC button. He does mention he is 168cm (5'6") tall.
    kpinvt and Lethe.au like this.
  9. Lethe.au

Lethe.au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes about my height. I was on my toes too but with the weight down low it was not a problem.
  10. Lethe.au

Lethe.au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Continuing from the discussion regarding the Honda 45L Smart Key-linked top box that is available for the Forza, Forza125Shop kindly provided me this link to the installation guides for the required components. Key takeaway points:

1. There is an OEM rack specifically for the 45L Smart Key-linked top box. It is not the same as the rack for the OEM 35L manual top box.
    2. The top box is powered and signalled from the scoot via a hole drilled in the top of the rear fairing and routed beneath the OEM rack.
    3. When the smart key is in proximity, the top box is unlocked. Else, it is locked.
    4. Installation time is approximately three hours.
  11. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Xmax 300 has the Bluecore engine, which is noticeably more fuel efficient than the new Forza 300 engine as it uses the old one from the SH300. The Yamaha is also a bit lighter (179kg) and has a little bit more power.
  12. Lethe.au

Lethe.au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whelp, I have a new scoot. Here she is next to the outgoing model...

Old&New2.jpg
  13. Lethe.au

Lethe.au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A bird shat on my new scoot! Is nothing sacred these days?

Scattered thoughts at 100km. Comparisons with 2001 Yamaha Majesty 250.

The scoot can look surprisingly stocky from some angles (e.g. the photo above) but a side view is enough to remind oneself that it is sleek as f*ck.
    Suspension is rather firm. Might loosen up over time? I know the preload is adjustable.
    Feels very agile. Noticeably shorter wheelbase than Majesty 250. Feels much more like sitting "on top" of the scooter rather than "sitting in" as with the more traditional luxo-barge style of maxi scoots.
    Engine braking is weird, growing as the bike slows down to become rather strong just before the clutch disengages, which seems to occur at higher speed than the Maj and is a much more noticeable transition. New engine phenomenon?
    At 60km/h the scoot is sitting at 4700-4800rpm which seems rather high, but then I've never actually had a scoot with a tachometer before.
    My silver model came with a black seat which doesn't look as good as the two-tone seat supplied with the white/blue model.
    The seat is very light and the latch mechanism unconvincing. The "closing experience" could definitely be improved.
    The narrow but deep glovebox allows for a reasonable amount of gear to be stored, but access is more difficult. Best to keep it to a couple items (rather than the kitchen sink approach I took on the Majesty). The manual says the little divider in there is removable.
    The scoot has an alarm system which is activated by pressing a button on the smart key.
    Keyless operation is easy.
    Storage compartment needs a courtesy light...
    The folding mirrors are great for parking in various places and also for filtering, but it is very awkward and potentially dangerous to UNfold them while moving. Pity the rider engaged in serious filtering when the light turns green...
    I have found the moving windscreen rather useful. Shifting it to the top-most position produces a "sucking forward" feeling, although that is probably only noticeable owing to the transition.
    Being 5'6" with short legs the scoot is on tiptoes but easy enough to balance. I find that I am sitting forward of the ridge in the seat though, which robs me of the very modest lumbar support that might provide. Ergonomics are still fine tho.
    Coming from the "luxo-barge" Majesty I would definitely be interested in an improved seat, but wouldn't want it any higher than the stock seat...
  14. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Lethe.au maybe you have the opportunity to test this.

There is an owner from Portugal on YouTube who has some issues with his Forza. At around ~60 km/h there is a significant wobbling of the handlebars.

Here are two videos showing the issue. The audio is in Portuguese, enable Closed Captions , hit Setting and add auto translation to English, it will be understandable.

@05:05 here

Enjoy your scoot
  15. Lethe.au

Lethe.au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Riding at 60km/h I have not noticed any such wobble or vibration. I've been riding in the city and so have not yet gone faster for any sustained period.

Speaking of which, I parked in the city today and when I got back the opposition had turned up...

[​IMG]
    kpinvt likes this.
  16. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Which ugly scooter is which?
    Ivabign likes this.
  17. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Lethe.au , are you satisfied with the LED headlight output at night ?

Also, a question for those who have up-to-date sources, any 2019MY updates for the Forza 300 ? I am placing the order next spring (European market).
  18. Lethe.au

Lethe.au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At night the headlights and daytime running lights combine to create a brilliant and distinctive appearance. I can't capture it because my smartphone smears the details into mush, but it looks fantastic and is very eye-catching.

As for the light they project on the road, I haven't yet had the opportunity or need to test the high beam, but the low beam throws a very wide and bright cone that is sharply cut-off a little way down the road. I was initially surprised by how close that cut-off point was, but being so sharply defined it is clearly a function of the angle of the lamps rather than their effective output. The manual indicates that there is a knob to adjust the angle if required, but I have not yet found that necessary.

I'm no expert and don't have a whole lot of experience with LED vs. halogen headlights, but what I think is happening is that the LEDs are actually throwing brighter and more evenly distributed light, such that apparent coverage and output is near 100% out to the level dictated by the angle of the lamp and reflectors, and is sharply cut off thereafter, whereas with more traditional headlights the light has already been gradually diminishing well before the limits imposed by their angle. In other words, I think this sharp and seemingly short cut-off that is seen with the Forza LEDs actually reflects their superior output.
  19. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw some videos at night on Instagram but they were from Thailand and most users do not speak English. I am more concerned now about the wobbling effect at 60-70 km/h with hands of the steering (other users are reporting as well). Maybe there was a manufacturing defect in a lot.
  20. Lethe.au

Lethe.au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will keep watching out for it. 90% of roads in the city/suburban area here are signposted for 50km/h or 60km/h so I regularly get up to the latter but not much beyond. I should be able to get some higher speed riding in this weekend.

I know some batches of the Vespa GTS/GTV have a "head wobble" issue at around 100km/h, so a systemic defect is certainly not unheard of...