2019-2020 CB300R

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. alex4515

alex4515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just went and sat on a CB300R again to refresh my memory. A very comfortable bike to me and personally I love the way it looks. Would love to add one to the garage someday.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  2. U4IC

U4IC U4IK

Oddometer:
    Check out reviews on the CB300R as well. Every review I’ve read and video review I’ve seen have been positive, with some being overwhelmingly positive. As an owner I can attest to just feeling enamored with the bike. If you are looking for something to do 80 mph on the slab, I wouldn’t recommend it. For urban fun and 2 lane travel, it has a lot of spirit, and I know other member/owners would agree. I traded a Triumph Tiger in on this bike. That’s how confident I am in its build quality and capabilities. It’s also extremely economical. I also recall one contributor here who is 6’-2” and says the bike is very comfortable for him. It really has a lot to offer for a bike under $5K!
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  3. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some old guys at the Rock Store came over to check out my CB, which they overwhelmingly approved of.

They didn't know much about the current small displacement offerings. I explained that I chose between the Duke 390, the Husqvarna 401s, and the CB. I told them that the Duke and Huskies had 12-13 more hp. They asked, well why did you get the Honda? I said, because I liked it more. They understood that it's not always about the numbers.
    jon_l, U4IC and AwDang like this.
  4. alex4515

alex4515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been contemplating selling or trading my 2019 Z900 and going back to a lower displacement bike, and have been considering the same bikes you mentioned. I took a look at a 2021 Duke 390 yesterday and the build quality wasn't real impressive. There was some sort of tape covering a gap on the muffler, the switchgear all looked kinda cheap, etc. On paper, the Duke is the better bike than the CB300R for $750 more at current MSRP, but the CB seems like the better overall package to me.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  5. U4IC

U4IC U4IK

Oddometer:
    Speaking from experience, KTM lost my respect a decade ago. I just had to have a 690 Duke. It was a beautiful bike and really looked the part on assembly quality. It ran like a scalded dog, when it ran. A rear tire would last about 1000 miles. Finding anyone to work on it was a nightmare. The local shops only worked on the dirt bikes. It was the worst investment I ever made. I compare them to expensive thoroughbreds, expensive to buy, expensive to keep, and a joy to get rid of. Give me reliability any day. The CB300R is reliable, affordable, and is the most exciting & fun 300 I’ve ever thrown my leg over. And it comes well equipped standard.
    GeoKrpan and alex4515 like this.
  6. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    You might like the KTM 390 Adventure more than the Duke. In watching the discussion thread, it seems to have some similar problems to the BMW G310GS (both made in India); rubber drive sprocket insulators mis-sized (common solution for each was to shim with pieces of sheet aluminum), some issues with clutch switches and software versions. Not a lot of issues reported nor any glaring universal problems. Looks to have more useable frame/suspension dimensions compared to the Duke. Both have the insect-looking front end. I still like the appearance of the CB300R but not completely ruled out the 390 A.
    GeoKrpan and alex4515 like this.
  7. Reconstructed

Reconstructed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve had my CB300R for about two months now. Only 615 miles so far, but a couple hundred of those are in the East Tennessee mountains. So far I get about 65mpg at 55-60mph, where I typically cruise at. I could get more mpg, but I’m not that concerned, yet. It’s a fun commuter for me. I like the very torquey nature of the engine. It doesn’t feel like a 300. I’ve had it up to about 85 or so, and it was pretty much done at that speed, however that was with 100 or so miles on the clock. The handling and suspension are quite nice on this bike. Not too soft, not too stiff. It’s a keeper to me.
    GeoKrpan, alex4515 and U4IC like this.
  8. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like this is not gonna happen for me. Just sold the WeeBee, but still have the s22. They will go on the ZeroSR, but I just put on some RoadAttact3 so won't be until end of this year or next year until the s22 goes on.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  9. OzarkDave

OzarkDave Army Veteran

Oddometer:
    OK, here's a pic of my bike. A couple of months old and about 1600 miles.

Attached Files:

BacasableFR, GeoKrpan and alex4515 like this.
  10. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    What? So, what's next? Yamaha YZF7?
  11. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Welcome Dave.
    OzarkDave likes this.
  12. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Liking your bike is an important factor.
  13. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    "I compare them to expensive thoroughbreds, expensive to buy, expensive to keep, and a joy to get rid of."

Crackin' me up.
  14. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    I don't think I've ever gone over 70 on mine. 40-60 are my usual speeds. The roads I ride are tight. At 40-60 the LCD dash says 70 mpg.
  15. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ZeroSR is good for now. I'm craving the new MT-09, had an XSR900 before I got the WeeBee and really miss it. Don't miss the tire eating gas guzzling nature but the hooliganess was thru the roof.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  16. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Alternative to MT-09, 2022 GSX-S1000.

[​IMG]
  17. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah, no more I4 for me. Plus if I'm gonna get a "big" bike it has to be hooligan like my XSR900...but for now I'm ok with the ZeroSR, torque on that thing is on par with the Yamaha triple.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  18. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    I've watched a few reviews of the prior GSXS and all say the motor has bags of torque. It's a retuned version of the GSXR motor.
  19. OzarkDave

OzarkDave Army Veteran

Oddometer:
    New bike and 1900 miles. Tire is shot. Bad factory tire. It already has a flat spot on it, and I don't take off fast. Calling the dealer tomorrow. Looking in my book it is only under tire factory warranty. Look at the edge of the tire. What new tire should I get?

Attached Files:

GeoKrpan likes this.
  20. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    thing weight is almost 500#!!? yamaha triple is under 420#, about how much zeroSR is
    GeoKrpan likes this.