2019-2020 CB300R

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up my wheels from Cycle Gear shod with the new Pirellis. $59 including recycling of the old tires which is optional.

I'll put the wheels on the bike tomorrow.
  2. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    The wheels are back on the bike.

Goin' for a ride shortly.
  3. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Back from the ride.

The Pirellis are so much better than the stock tires. They may not be the best tire but they are certainly better than the Dunlop GPR300s. I'm sorry I spent 8000 miles of my bike's life on them.

With the Dunlops it seemed like I got to a certain lean angle and no matter how much handlebar input and body English I put into it, it made no difference.

I could feel the difference the Pirellis made the moment I rolled away, much more willing to change direction and a little less stable going straight.

I took it easy because I'm aware that new tires need to be scuffed in. I rode familiar roads because I wanted to see the difference they made in curves that I know.
    Part of the ride is ridiculously tight and twisty. I rode through it better than I ever have even though I was taking it easy. On the faster more open road I thought they might feel less stable and they are in a sense but I adjusted easily.

I set out to get better tires and I feel successful in that. It was also the first time I removed and re-installed a set of motorcycle wheels. I guess I did it right because everything seemed normal on the ride. I have a lot of experience wrenching on bicycles. The better bicycles have thru axles and hydraulic disc brakes.

PS I'm very surprised with how little brake dust there was on the wheels. I've only cleaned them once in the 2+ years I've had the bike.
    BacasableFR likes this.
  4. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Ha, I finally saw another CB300R out on the road. 2 years and 3 months since I got mine and this is the first time.

I missed catching up and saying something to the rider by a few seconds, but, I was out on a bicycle.

It was matte black like mine so it must've been a 2019.
  5. Reconstructed

Reconstructed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen one in person at a gas station. My brother just picked up one a week ago as well.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  6. BacasableFR

BacasableFR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, in France in 2019 only 99 were sold.
    I saw 3 or less
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  7. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    I live in Los Angeles county where you see the rarest of the rare motorcycles yet this is the first time I've seen another CB300R on the road.
  8. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    I've been watching a lot of vids on the Suzuki GSXS 750 and 1000.

They are not the most up to date, no IMU, but everyone who rides them loves them. They are quite a bit cheaper than their competitors too. Suzuki continually refines their designs rather than retooling for all new models. I admire that.

I think the 2021 1000 looks great but the older ones are ugly. As is said, beauty is what beauty does.

Just thinking what comes next after the CB300R. Maybe Suzuki will update the 750 like they did with the 1000 or come out with a 600 version.

Just so you know, the GSXSs are tuned entirely differently than the GSXRs. Tuned for mid range torque rather than max hp at high revs. Makes for a much better street bike.

Adam Waheed's glowing review of the 750. It is partly due to his glowing review of the CB300R that is why I bought mine.

9. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hard to compare old tires with new. Best to compare two new tires...or if you can recall how a tires were when new. Also you were just getting back into riding so were very rusty. Now you are getting used to the bike and riding again so with new tires it fells really good.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  10. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Agreed. But, I don't think the Dunlops ever felt as good as the Pirellis.
  11. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    The GPR300s lasted 8710 miles.
  12. BacasableFR

BacasableFR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice, if we ride a bike with a small amount sold, the price still restricted by the limited number of bike on the road.

then, it’s an Honda and the quality still good in mind, not like Zontes or Voge
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  13. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Zontes and Voge have a long way to go to match the quality of Japanese bikes.
  14. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Define "last". The problem with the OEM Dunlops is that they wear very quickly and square off severely within 2000 miles. Then, once your handling and stability are ruined by the squared-off profile, repeated heat cycles harden the rubber. Now you've lost most of your grip as well. But the hardened compound now "lasts" for thousands of crappy-handling miles if you want to count "last" as going all the way down to the wear bars. Truth is, these shitty Dunlop GPRs are toast by 2000 miles and that's on a lightweight, low-power grocery getter. Honda puts the same tires on the CB1000R where those owners complained bitterly about the short short lifespan. Most of those guys got rid of the Dunlops and went to Michelin Road 5s before they'd clocked 1000 miles.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  15. pumpjack77

pumpjack77 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey! New guy here. I got a second hand Honda CB 300R in Spain, 2019 model with ABS.

It has 30.000km on it (19.000 miles) and I bought it for $2.750. Dunno if it’s a good price, but here the used bikes market for the CB300R is inexistent so I am happy. I hope it’s a long lasting bike. I got my license very recently (although >10y of vehicle license) and I think it is a perfect entry level bike.

I haven’t seen any specific forum for this bike, apart from this thread and a facebook group. If you guys know any other place (forums, telegram, etc) let me know! I’ll share some pics as soon as I get the bike.
    BacasableFR, GeoKrpan and shoeb like this.
  16. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Welcome pumpjack77!

I just checked CycleTrader and didn't see any used CB300Rs that were that cheap but I did see new non-ABS 2019 models advertised for $4199.

I would not expect to sell mine for any more than $2750 with 9000 miles on it. But, I'm very happy with it and don't intend to sell it anytime soon.

I would expect it to last a lot longer than 19000 miles.

I don't know of another forum beside this one.

The valves clearance should have been inspected at 16000 miles. Do you know if that's been done?

What other bikes were you considering and why did you choose the CB300R?
  17. alex4515

alex4515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am back to looking closely at his bike and have now requested quotes from a few local dealers. Took my z900 out for a ride again this weekend and while it’s a great bike, I come nowhere near exploring its full potential, nor do I want to, or need to for the type of riding I do. My old CB300F was a much better fit for that. Compared to other bikes in the class (z400, mt03, duke/svart/vit 390) this one seems to have the best ergos for me and looks the best IMO. It might have the least power but I really like the sound and feel of the little thumper.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  18. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    I chose the CB over the Vitpilen 401 and Duke 390 knowing full well it was down on power compared to them.

Why? Because I liked it better. It's important to like your bike.

Your situation with the Z900 is exactly what I fear about getting a bigger bike, finding out it wasn't an upgrade and longing for the old bike.

Put on a quick turn throttle tube from a Monkey and maybe a quick shifter.

Even if you don't I think you'll be surprised by the power delivery of the CB.
  19. pumpjack77

pumpjack77 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answer! Here in Spain, new CB300R are 5.075€ which is like $6.000, so I guess getting a $2.700 for a 19.000 miles bike is not that bad. However, I insist that market does not exist for the bike (now they don't even sell new bikes in Europe, they eliminated the model from the catalog) so I am "blind".

I will ask the owner about valves clearance, that's important. I've seen a couple of bike manuals and they're a bit different in what comes to maintenance (I don't guess why) so I will wait to pick the bike and check the physical one it should have in its backseat.

Concerning bikes consideration; I wanted a small, nimble, forgiving and easy to learn on. I haven't ever ridden motorcycles (apart from occasional scooters) so I wanted a smooth start. I am not into speed (although I like to feel it sometimes) nor aggresive driving. I considered the following:

- Honda CB 500 X: nice and powerful bike, very comfortable. However, too big and heavy. When I tried it, I feel like I needed an intermediate step to fully enjoy this bike. I did enjoy the test ride and I found myself very comfortable, but I like enjoying steps.

- Honda Rebel 500: most beautiful and aesthetic bike. Very comfortable to ride. But the maneuverability stopped was hard and taking steps (literal steps in the streets) was hard with this. Not the best for city commuting.

- Husqvarna Svartpilen 401: liked it but I find myself a bit big for it (5 ft 11 and 185 pounds). Seemed like a mini bike. Discarded it for that, sadly. KTM 390 is, IMO, very ugly so it's a no.

- BMW G310 GS: did not try this one. 34hp for almost 400lbs seemed too little, and it was much more expensive, even second hand market.

- CB300R: beautiful, nimble, i'd like it to have 40hp but I am OK with 31 because of its very low weight. Easy to learn on, reliable, long lasting engine... I hope I can deal properly with vibrations, power and so on!
    strongbad and alex4515 like this.
  20. BacasableFR

BacasableFR Adventurer

Oddometer:

Welcome Pumpjack77, i bought my CB300R for 3 800 € (4 520 $) and 15 000 km (9 000 miles), as a french, i used this thread, even in france we don't talk a lot about our bike
    GeoKrpan likes this.