2019-2020 CB300R

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I did my first ride with the gear position indicator.

When the clutch is held in it no longer displays the gear you're in, displays a dash instead. They all do this not just the one that I bought.

That kinda' spoils things a bit when coasting up to a stop light with the clutch pulled in and not being able to see what gear you're in. I have to make a habit of noticing what gear I'm in before pulling in the clutch.

Otherwise it works perfectly.
  2. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are two styles of gear indicator. One uses a hall sensor and mechanism to count shifts up and down. The other style calculates the gear from engine rpm and wheel speed (vss sensor) taken from the DLC port. The former GPI is harder to install and more expensive but works clutch in or out and needs no calibration. The latter GPI needs calibration and it can't calculate the gear when you pull in the clutch and let the engine idle while moving. Neither is a good solution IMO.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  3. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Seems to me that an algorithm could be written that cures this. I say this as a retired computer application developer.
  4. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Someone took a nice photo of me and my bike.

[​IMG]
    MoreCheese, EdM, BacasableFR and 2 others like this.
  5. BacasableFR

BacasableFR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was my first reaction before settle it ^^

btw I live good now with that.

so good photo and bike, the handles bar and back spoiler change definitely the bike
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  6. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Yes, they change it a lot. I think the rear fender makes the bike look bigger.
  7. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm thinking about re-locating the front turn signals.

Anyone have any ideas about doing that?

The reason is that the bars I use interfere with them.
  8. BacasableFR

BacasableFR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m working good to my movie

897EA43B-A749-4F8C-BF17-376318495570.jpeg
    U4IC, zap2504 and GeoKrpan like this.
  9. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
  10. BacasableFR

BacasableFR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don’t know, looks good but maybe to old school ?

but it seems to be a very good base to custom it like a dirt track or flat track, with a small rear spoiler, and small handlebar
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  11. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    It's pretty dang cool.
    CaliHoosier likes this.
  12. alex4515

alex4515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the looks of the 350 but it's a little light on power, even compared to the 300R.

In related news, I brought a new-to-me 2020 CB300R home with me last night. I'm downsizing from a Kawasaki Z900 - I had a CB300F previously and after upgrading to the Z900, I found the amount of power unnecessary and almost scary at times. The Z900 was obviously better than the old 300 at cruising at higher speeds for extended periods, but that's not the kind of riding I do most often. I have more fun wringing out a small bike than carefully controlling the power on a big bike. Anyway, the CB300R has just over 1000 miles on it and is 100% stock. After bringing it home last night, I dialed in the clutch and throttle cable slack, cleaned up the wheels, and cleaned and re-lubed the chain with my preferred lube. I just went down to the local dealership and grabbed a filter and gasket so I can change the oil this afternoon; then I just need to get the state inspection completed and wrap up the paperwork. The initial ride home reminded me how much fun these little bikes are!
    U4IC, MoreCheese, CaliHoosier and 3 others like this.
  13. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    The CB300R motor is highly tuned by comparison and, as you will discover, is a feisty little thing.

Welcome to the club. After more than two years I'm still not tired of my "beginner bike" and I feel I have not fully exploited it's performance potential.

What happened to you, "upgrading" to a bigger bike and regretting it, is just what I fear.

The motor was tweaked a little for the CB300R. The MC Commute reviewer he never remembered it pulling as hard as it does in the CB300R. See if you can tell a difference from the CB300F.

PS Get a quick turn throttle tube!
  14. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    It is the same as the Honda Hness sold in India. Air-cooled single, dual rear shock throwback to compete with the Royal Enfield Meteor.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  15. alex4515

Oddometer:
    During the oil change yesterday afternoon, I noticed that the engine in the CB300R doesn't have the "weep hole" beneath the oil filter cover that my CB300F had. My 300F would sometimes drip a tiny bit of oil and/or coolant from that hole, so they must have redesigned the engine somewhat.

The prior owner had too much oil in the bike - it was at or above the top of the window - so I wanted to get the oil changed ASAP. Seemed like it took forever to finish draining, but all went smoothly - I didn't even break any of the oil filter cover bolts (like I did on my 300F)!

I also discovered that the front tire only had 16PSI in it...that would probably explain why the bike felt a little less than nimble during the ride home. Got that back up to the recommended 29PSI. Next stop, state inspection - hopefully early tomorrow morning at the latest!
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  16. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Mine hasn't leaked a drop of oil or anything for that matter.

I think that the tire pressures recommended by Honda are woefully conservative.
  17. alex4515

Oddometer:
    Do you run pressures higher or lower than the recommended 29f/33r?

Oh - after I test-rode the bike, I hung my helmet on the end of the handlebar. When I walked back to the car to grab some paperwork, the wind knocked my helmet off the bar and onto the ground. I'm not sure exactly how it landed because I didn't see it happen, but it had several scratches in the visor and knocked one of the mounting posts off, so the visor wouldn't close right anymore. I'm guessing it landed right on the (open) visor...the helmet could still be ok I guess, but it's already several years old and I got it on closeout, so I think I have an excuse to buy a new/nicer helmet now. Looking closely at the HJC RPHA 70 ST and RPHA 11 Pro.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  18. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Higher, way higher.

I have a Bilt helmet from Cycle Gear and I like it very much. It's the kind where the entire front flips up, called a modular helmet.
  19. alex4515

Oddometer:
    Got it out for its first proper ride today. About 70 miles, mostly backroads. I love the ergos (no hip cramp or back pain even after an hour and a half), the noises it makes, how light it is, the way it looks, how it handles, the fact that it takes regular instead of premium, and how it feels on up and downshifts. I couldn’t say all of those things about any of my previous bikes. I’m pretty happy with my choice!

Attached Files:

U4IC, MoreCheese and GeoKrpan like this.
  20. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The coolant pump weep hole is still below the oil filter cover. There are two nubs under the oil filter cover. The coolant pump weep hole is the smaller nub in front of the larger nub. You remove the under cowl to access it.
    GeoKrpan and alex4515 like this.