2019-2020 CB300R

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've removed the battery and the two screws that secure the battery box. I'm struggling with getting the battery box out. There are a lot of electrical connectors attached to it. The coil is actually bolted to the battery box.
  2. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    I've managed to get the battery box out far enough to access the terminals of the coil. I've removed the two wires from the coil terminals.

I'm looking at the Healtech wiring diagram. It's not making sense to me, yet.

Somehow the wires from the bike's wiring harness and the wires from the Healtech harness connect to the coil.

I still need to know if the green terminal on the coil is positive or negative. Anybody know? The other terminal on the coil is black.

Here's a pic of the Healtech wiring diagram. Does it make sense that a green wire from the Healtech harness goes to the green terminal on the coil?

[​IMG]
    BacasableFR likes this.
  3. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    If the coil is not marked. You can use an ohm meter to determine which wire is ground pretty easily.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  4. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    It's starting to sink in.

One of the green wires from the Healtech harness goes onto the green terminal of the coil. There are two green wires in the Healtech harness but only one is used for a single cylinder.

The red wire of the Healtech harness has a male connector and goes into the female connector from the bike's wiring harness that was attached to the green coil terminal.
    Now the Healtech has power.

The wire from the bike's wiring harness that was attached to the black terminal of the coil is re-connected as before.

The white wire from the Healtech harness is tapped into the wire of the bike's wiring harness that is attached to the black terminal of the coil.
    Now the Healtech is grounded.

I still need to be certain that the green terminal on the coil is positive.
  5. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    For sure, but the battery is out of the bike. The coil is not marked.
  6. BacasableFR

BacasableFR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I have this pin fall from my brake cable, i dont

IMG_3254.jpeg
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  7. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    That is a restraining anchor for the abs sensor wire.
    There should be a metal tap bolted to the fork higher up the brake line. It pushes in there.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  8. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    I will go to the hardware store today and get a cheap circuit tester. I have one but only God knows where it is. I will put the battery back in the bike and test the wiring harness wires that attach to the coil. I read that with the wires attached to the coil that a positive result could happen from both terminals and that the coil will still work if the wires are reversed but the bike will run shitty.
  9. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    1)Before installing the battery, disconnect the wires from the coil, check each for continuitly to the battery negative cable.
    2) Install the battery, with coil wires NOT connected.
    3) key on, engine off (won’t run anyway)
    4) check each coil wire for voltage by placing the negative lead in the battery negative terminal and probing with the positive lead.
    BacasableFR and GeoKrpan like this.
  10. motorboy1

motorboy1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is unreal as I stated a third set of holds on the rear fender only four holes are needed-so I measured yep spaced just right-so maybe I can cut off 2"- 50mm from the end and slide the license plate turn signal up and shorten the bike 50mm and make the rear more compact-well guess what no cutting no rerouting wires just slide the bracket up and rebolt -looks so much better-five min job--so now the question why did Honda do that and my only guess is different countries different lengths requirements
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  11. alex4515

alex4515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gonna have to go take a look at this!
    BacasableFR and GeoKrpan like this.
  12. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I intend to do, test the wires unconnected to the coil.

I intend to clip the alligator clip of the tester to ground and probe each wire. The hot wire should light the probe, the ground wire should not.

The tester I bought cost $5 and is for DC.
  13. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Black is hot, green is ground.

I re-installed the battery, clipped the alligator clip to ground, and turned on the ignition. I probed the bike wiring harness wire that goes on the black terminal of the coil, the probe lit up. I probed the other wiring harness wire that goes on the green terminal of the coil, the probe did NOT light up. I checked both wires two more times just to make sure.

I read that black terminals sometimes specify switched terminals. The are hot only when the ignition is turned on. I also read that green specifies ground.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier if the just marked the coil (+) and (-) ?

I am now going to attempt to finish the installation of the Healtech wiring harness. The way the instructions say to use tap connector for the ground wire is bugging me but I'll give it a try.

The rest of the installation should be easier. I hope the downloading of the app to my iPhone and the pairing of the phone to the Healtech module goes well.

I may even be ale to go for a test ride today.
    alex4515 likes this.
  14. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    I finished the installation of the Healtech wiring harness.

The first test is when the ignition is turned on, the light on the Healtech module is green then goes to solid red. That it did.

The next test is if it will start, that it did not.

I've had enough for today.

Here's some notes in the installation of the Healtech wiring harness.

Installing the tap connecter for the Healtech wiring harness ground wire was a pain. I had to cut away the sheathing on the Honda's negative coil wire with a tiny fingernail clipper. That wire is very short and it was very tedious. I was afraid the tap would interfere with getting the battery box back in place, but it went back in place fairly easily. The Healtech wiring harness did not interfere with the battery box lid. It snaps shut as before. If it didn't the gas tank bolts could not be aligned with the tapped holes in the frame.

Perhaps the ground wire came off the coil when I shoved the battery box back in place. I will check it out tomorrow.
  15. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Yep, I just looked, that's exactly what happened, I can see the bare green terminal, the connector came off when I shoved the battery box back in place.

It's the tap that's the culprit. I might have to fabricate a jumper wire.

Well, at least I know what's wrong.
    alex4515 likes this.
  16. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Bl/Bu wire is the hot wire to the coil. The ECU fires the coil by briefly grounding the P/Bu wire, going to the minus side of the coil, then opening the P/Bu wire again. According to the schematic you posted, the quick shifter apparently samples this firing signal from the ECU (the minus side coil wire). Not sure why. The QS seems to interrupt power to the hot side of the coil for the shift and that would kill the engine no matter what the ECU is doing with the minus side.
    GeoKrpan likes this.
  17. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    What I'm thinking is to drill a hole in the front of battery box near the top edge, then snip it open. It will create a notch for the Healtech wiring harness which then won't hit the frame while I push the battery box back in. Shoulda' thought of that before but then I'm not a professional mechanic, just a DIY hacker. I took the day off from working on it yesterday. I knew better to let my frustration level subside. But, until I'm done, I can't ride.
  18. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    VRRROOM!!! She started!

All I had to do is nip away some of the rubber connector cover of the bike wiring harness wire that goes on the negative coil post. It was preventing the female connector from sliding all the way down on the coil terminal. There's still plenty of the rubber left to protect the connection.

When I turned on the ignition, the light on the Healtech module went green then solid red, as it should per the instructions.

When I started the bike, the light on the Healtech module went solid green, as it should per the instructions.

Ok, on to installing the gear shift lever sensor, then downloading the app to my iPhone.
  19. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    Ok, shift lever sensor installed, app loaded on iPhone, iPhone paired to Healtech module, setup wizard run.

Time to put the tank cover and seats on, get dressed, and go for a ride.
    BacasableFR and AwDang like this.
  20. GeoKrpan

Oddometer:
    The quick shifter works perfectly, I totally love it.

The lower the gear, the rougher the shift but you don't have to use it in the lower gears all the time. Here's the kicker, it shifts better WITH the clutch. Dino said so, and he is totally right. It makes sense, when you nudge the shifter, clutch or no clutch, it cuts the ignition momentarily, unloading the transmission. My bike can pop out of gear on the 3 to 4 upshift unless I'm really deliberate with my boot. This issue is completely gone with the quick shifter.

There are absolutely no unwanted artifacts with the quick shifter. Rev matching for a downshift is as before except that it goes into gear more easily and more quickly. There's no unintended ignition cutoffs if your foot touches the shifter accidently. The setup wizard adjusted the sensitivity correctly but you can tweak it with the phone app.

The lower the gear, the rougher the shift but you can adjust the cutoff times with the phone app and perhaps smooth it out a bit. Even as is I would not say it's objectionable. But, save using it in the lower gears for when you really want to hustle. I got cheeky with a Ducati 1199 in traffic, I didn't just disappear in his rearview mirrors.

The bike feels as if it has 20% more power when you can keep the engine on the boil. The quick turn throttle tube and the quick shifter makes it a a lot easier.

I mounted the shift sensor to the shift lever, not the linkage. Healtech says when mounted on the shift lever downshifts may also be possible without the clutch.
    I didn't try it on the first ride but I will some time.
    BacasableFR likes this.