2019-2020 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    I say this as a retired accident investigator- ABS on bikes has saved many lives.

Please consider one with ABS.
  2. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing.

Oddometer:
    My preference is for an ABS model, but availability is an issue around here, at least with regards to the CB5X. And I know it’s faulty reasoning, but none of my previous bikes had ABS.

But yeah, I agree. ABS is a worthwhile feature.
  3. Captain Lew

Captain Lew Under Heaven Over Hell

Oddometer:
    Today I rode some trails with my G310GS. I nearly turned the ABS off but got through the steep spots ok. I would have tried to remember to turn it on at the pavement, anyway.

It was just as well b/c a bear popped up in front of me on the highway which allowed me to make use of the ABS. He was as shocked as I was to be sharing the lane, and I think he gave me a thumbs up for not hitting him.

It was my second time using ABS for wildlife. The last time was on dirt - three deer jumped across - only minutes after practicing emergency braking.

I like it!
    ggrant likes this.
  4. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    Bear says "Hi five!"
  5. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    Quick question.

I am doing some mods on my new X.

Do I post them here for info or new build thread?

:)
  6. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    I don't think there are strict rules for this.
    I'd say if you farkle your bike, that's fine here. In case you make some structural mods, then start a build thread.
    Homer GSA likes this.
  7. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    how are folks liking this bike on the open road?
    Hannda likes this.
  8. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problems here. Runs well at interstate speeds. Racer
    Hannda likes this.
  9. sherloc

sherloc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Works great, sweet spot is 70-80, runs smoothly @ 80mph.
    Hannda and Blakebird like this.
  10. Cavolina

Cavolina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone
    Just returned from a 8000 km trip Vancouver to Delores Colorado and return on my 2019 CB500X. My thoughts on how the bike handled a trip like this. Prior to this I've always had big bikes, Bmw's ( 2 ) and Africa twins ( 2 ) so this was going to be interesting. So why the switch ? Well I travel solo a lot and found that in the last couple of years I was becoming hesitant to take some trails due to the weight of larger bikes. So time to downsize. This trip included a bit of everything, paved backroads, gravel, high mountain passes and some freeway. The bike does everything well, even fully loaded ( me and my gear 260 lb. ) it always had reserve power to pass.( within reason remember its only 50 hp. ) It corners like a sport bike, gets amazing gas milage ( 50 to 70 mpg ) depending on conditions and is a really fun bike to ride. So overall I'm very pleased with my decision. Upgrades ? only one i found the suspension quite harsh on the gravel so i installed a ( i hope its ok to mention this here ) Rally Raid level 2 suspension kit. awesome product. IMG_5176.JPG
    480v Sparky, Redwags, Hannda and 11 others like this.
  11. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    Hello brother!
  12. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    Its good. Mine feels too low geared for me so I am going to fit the 16 tooth to lower the revs a little.
    J.Mo and racer like this.
  13. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    There's a fine line in there... I've had everything from plated dirt bikes to big adventure bikes. With the big bikes, you're always thinking "I'd like smaller, lighter..." and with the small bikes you're hating road miles.

I hoped my 701 Enduro would be the ticket - best of both worlds...but it was too vibey for much road work or even a long day in the dirt.
    The changes to the CB500X got it on my radar screen, and got me past it's "beginner bike" or "bargain bike" first impression.
    It looks like some work on the damper rod forks like a cartridge emulator - would be an inexpensive way to make it a great all-rounder.
    For long trips it sure looks to have the long range I like in an adventure bike covered - in the 250-300 mile range is perfect, without adding the weight of 6 or 7 gallons of fuel.

Good to hear it's not an underpowered buzz-bomb on the highway - I think it's a tall seat and some fork twiddling away from being a great 'only bike'.
    Hannda, wncstrada, J.Mo and 1 other person like this.
  14. Cavolina

Cavolina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Blackebird
    Like your comment, this is my first foray into " smaller " bikes so i was a bit nervous as to whether or not it was the right decision. As it turned out it was one of the best bike decision that I've made. Here's what I've done to turn it into a great all- rounder
    1) Knight design wide lowered foot pegs ( 1-1/4 in. )
    2) Rally Raid skid plate
    3) Rally Raid level 2 suspension
    4) sw motech upper crash bars
    5) Bar risers ( 30 mm ) approx. 1-1/4 in. ( Honda was smart enough to leave enough slack in the handlebar cables to do this )
    I'm just over 6 ft. tall and have a 34 in. inseam, raising the bars and lowering the pegs gave me a very comfortable riding position standing or sitting. The suspension kit gives it a much smoother ride both on / off road and adjustability
    Cheers Bruce IMG_5877.JPG IMG_5876 2.JPG
    Redwags, Hannda, dirtytroll and 8 others like this.
  15. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Did you feel that the 30 mm bar risers we’re the upper limit regarding the existing cable length? Would it be possible to install 1 3/4” Rox Risers?
  16. Lonebiker

Lonebiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It does well. No buffeting, the windshield isn't too noisy (much better than a FJ09) and vibrations are ok. But, above 75 mph (around 6 000 rpm), the vibrations are stronger (felt mostly on the pegs) and noise level made by the windshield make the ride unpleasant. Luckily, here highway traffic ride mostly 68-71 mph. For the asking price, this multi purpose bike is great.
    Dean Ohlin likes this.
  17. J.Mo

J.Mo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine arrived today. Will be fitting it in a couple of days/weeks. The bike can definitely handle highway speeds stock too but overall the gearing seems a bit too low for me. Especially first gear.
    racer likes this.
  18. J.Mo

J.Mo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to see that someone fitted the RR skidplate in combination with the sw motech bars. Still thinking of going this route too.

Also thinking about the lower pegs but even with stock pegs my right heel is touching the exhaust cover when riding standing. Nobody else with this problem? Really annoying actually.

I find the suspension (and rebound) also a little bit harsh but changing suspension is a bigger investment and maybe I better bought a tenere 700 then in the end (test rode one and suspension was of course far superior). So for now I'll just leave that stock. Still happy changing from the big gs to this nimble fun bike!
  19. Cavolina

Cavolina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think 30 mm is about max. The only thing i had to move was the brake line from the master cylinder. it is held in place by a rubber block in a bracket by the triple tree. i just took it out of the bracket pushed it in behind and strapped it to the other cables that run through this area. if you did some major rerouting all-round you might get more slack.
    bmah and Dean Ohlin like this.
  20. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the torque specs for the triple clamp bolts? 32/22?

My Dad just got one of these cool motos and he wanted it lower so that's done and he wants to ride now.